okay. so ive decided to get my first tube amp, actually.
and i'm down to either the valveking 112 or 212.

the only difference i can tell between them is the 212 has, of course, another 12" speaker.

If i want to gig with one of these amps, im sure the 112 will be sufficient, right? because a 50 watt tube amp is gonna get pretty damn loud, i would think.

but is there any real reason i should shell out an extra 200 to invest in the 212 instead of the 112?
nope. the 212 could sound louder as it is pushing more air, but the 112 is enough for gigs.
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
112 is enough. 212 has contour controls. The VK....ehhh. What style do you play. I've messed with mine for a little over a year now. It's only passable amp.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
i play mostly metal. with a little funk mixed in sometimes. yeah i know, odd mix.

ive heard mixed stuff about the VK for metal though, so do you know anything other tube amp that would fit better?
Randall RH50TC would be a good tube amp for metal. It's a bit costlier though.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
I actually would prefer the 212 if i had to pick basically just due to the options it has to offer. But on that note the speakers would need to be changed out and its more of a hassle with the 212. My suggestion is the head version and a 2x12 cab if you want to go with a VK. So you can always sell the amp when you decide to upgrade and have a cab to keep for the next amp.

Also i wouldnt just look at a VK, there are alot of other used amps out there that are better in everyway.. So i would do some research and hit up some used stuff..
You know, ironically, I am going amp shopping tomorrow, and I was looking at getting a Valveking 112. I can't go up in price, and I don't have any more time than this weekend, but is this a good tube amp for Progressive Metal?
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
Do you have a total budget?
Can you buy used - like off Craigslist?
Do you gig?
How often do you play Metal or heavier?

VK ain't bad - but needs breaking in, time to tweak, possible upgrades later. My guess is that for most people playing it the first time in a store it sounds like crap. Mine is actually starting to sound pretty good.

There are other amps to IPs point.

I like the 112 or Head option better if you go the VK route. On the 212 that is a 12" speaker too but two to now possibly upgrade later. It does have 4, 8 and 16ohm Cab out options, which the 112 is only 16. It is also 65lbs.
If you play metal then DON'T get this amp. I have one, and it's barely passable for metal. There's tons of better choices.
Quote by silhouettica
You know, ironically, I am going amp shopping tomorrow, and I was looking at getting a Valveking 112. I can't go up in price, and I don't have any more time than this weekend, but is this a good tube amp for Progressive Metal?

It takes alot to get it up to decent metal status, including a eq and od pedal and speaker swap... Just my opinion, best thing is test it out and see if you like it...
Do you have a total budget? possibly up to 1000. probably more like 800
Can you buy used - like off Craigslist? i don't personally like buying used gear
Do you gig? yes
How often do you play Metal or heavier? probably 80-90 percent of the time
Quote by Grey Dynasty
Do you have a total budget? possibly up to 1000. probably more like 800
Can you buy used - like off Craigslist? i don't personally like buying used gear
Do you gig? yes
How often do you play Metal or heavier? probably 80-90 percent of the time

Would you buy used if you could get a 5150 combo for $450 bucks? Thats what you have to ask yourself....

Best bang for the buck and metal is what it does best...
Quote by Saitoh
If you play metal then DON'T get this amp. I have one, and it's barely passable for metal. There's tons of better choices.

are you kidding me? with an OD or EQ metal is definately possible. for proof listen to the vk clip in my profile.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
I can get a great old school thrash metal sound coming out of my completely unmodded Valveking, but I can't do anything much harder than thrash.

That suits me just fine - the hardest I want to go is basically Ride the Lightning-era Metallica, although sometimes I like to play some Rammstein here and there.

If you're expecting ultra high gain from a VK, you're expecting too much. Hell, sometimes I think I get a good Van Halen tone going with it - but it just doesn't have enough gain by itself.

Get an overdrive pedal, however, and that's a totally different story.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The 5150 combo is a good choice, but if you want some nice cleans as well take a look at an f-50. It can get very rectifierish tones and has tons of gain on tap. I can get a nice metal tone on my f-30 with an OD on using a single coil strat.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
800 used could pick up a Randall RM50 combo! This amp can do anything from jazz to funk to rock to metal, you decide.
Quote by sg622
are you kidding me? with an OD or EQ metal is definately possible. for proof listen to the vk clip in my profile.

That sounded pretty good to me for a $400 amp. Is seems to be a good representation of the tone of the amp. I can't play like that either lol.
Is your's stock - I forget? Can you compare that to some other amps you may have played? Can I get that sound with a Classic 30? Thanks,

Sorry, didn't mean to Jack the Thread but I did contribute.
Quote by Kevin Saale
The 5150 combo is a good choice, but if you want some nice cleans as well take a look at an f-50. It can get very rectifierish tones and has tons of gain on tap. I can get a nice metal tone on my f-30 with an OD on using a single coil strat.

+1 another great option
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
That sounded pretty good to me for a $400 amp. Is seems to be a good representation of the tone of the amp. I can't play like that either lol.
Is your's stock - I forget? Can you compare that to some other amps you may have played? Can I get that sound with a Classic 30? Thanks,

Sorry, didn't mean to Jack the Thread but I did contribute.

yea mines basically stock but i used my avatar cab with it and a mxr ten band eq. I was using a computer mic so the recording doesnt do the amp too much justice.

I personally cant compare the VK to any other amp at this point mainly because the last amp i played was a triple rectifier and a line6 vetta.

and lastly no, youre not going to be able to get that sound out of a classic 30, unless you get a new speaker and run a metal muff through it or something (which i personally wouldnt do) so my suggestion would be, if you want that kind of tone, id stay away from the classic 30.
I played a VK 212 today at guitar center, and I was actually surprised how good it sounded. Despite all the **** it gets. I'm actually considering getting the VK 112 rather than the Classic 30 now. It's less money, and plus I can get one brand new in my price range. (I know someone will bitch at me for this decision)
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
Quote by Chance125
I played a VK 212 today at guitar center, and I was actually surprised how good it sounded. Despite all the **** it gets. I'm actually considering getting the VK 112 rather than the Classic 30 now. It's less money, and plus I can get one brand new in my price range. (I know someone will bitch at me for this decision)

Naa its a good choice and if you rather over the classic then get it... And more then likely you were using the amp for what it was designed for and that is versatility.. NOT to be uber br00talz!
Quote by Chance125

if you play metal and you are choosing between a VK and a 30, then youve made a good choice. just make sure to get an OD and EQ.
Quote by Artemis Entreri
112 is enough. 212 has contour controls. The VK....ehhh. What style do you play. I've messed with mine for a little over a year now. It's only passable amp.

You can get a great sound out of the VK with a DF-7, you just have to EQ both the DF-7 and the VK the right way.
Quote by sg622
yea mines basically stock but i used my avatar cab with it and a mxr ten band eq. I was using a computer mic so the recording doesnt do the amp too much justice.

I personally cant compare the VK to any other amp at this point mainly because the last amp i played was a triple rectifier and a line6 vetta.

and lastly no, youre not going to be able to get that sound out of a classic 30, unless you get a new speaker and run a metal muff through it or something (which i personally wouldnt do) so my suggestion would be, if you want that kind of tone, id stay away from the classic 30.

thanks!

well, the avatar cab and 10 band EQ prolly explains a lot but good to know that was stock. And being as that was a computer mic I'd say doubly good again.

and Chance125 - I'm glad you at least gave it a chance. Usually they don't sound that good in the store due to time it takes to tweak but it will def sound better once home after tweaking and breaking in. Clean channel ain't bad either.

I have been seriously contemplating trading my VK for a Classic 30 but I think I'll keep giving the VK more time. Hell, I may even just start saving for a C30 and buy one used anyway and have both.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 11, 2008,
The VK is a sweet amp for a while. I liked it a lot. But it's too muddy, the clean is nothing special, the reverb sucks past half way. On the other hand, the texture switch is cool, and it can put on heaping loads of gain and it takes pedals well.

I'm still trading mine for a blackheart.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
hmm. ill look into an f50
but say i bought a vk 112, would it be able to hit good gain *modern metal like shadows fall and lamb of god, to older thrash like metallica*
if i got an mt2 pedal or something?
IbanezPsycho is the expert here and I think he only uses an OD - but he basically says it can do older type Metallica and the like but struggles with modern metal, which I would agree with. I believe he would back that up, but don't quote me. I would say that some of the UGr's clips I've heard lately sound pretty damn good.

my problem is that i wanna due Blues all the way up thru Modern Metal but struggle to find a amp like that on a budget.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
IbanezPsycho is the expert here and I think he only uses an OD - but he basically says it can do older type Metallica and the like but struggles with modern metal, which I would agree with. I believe he would back that up, but don't quote me. I would say that some of the UGr's clips I've heard lately sound pretty damn good.

my problem is that i wanna due Blues all the way up thru Modern Metal but struggle to find a amp like that on a budget.

Yup i would agree with that...

It can do Marshall and Mesa bands pretty decently, but really struggles with 5150/6505 and higher end amp users like Engl's, Bogner, Nitros, Krank or Diezel amps used for modern metal. And since most thrash was done on Marshalls and Mesa's you have yourself a nice Thrash amps. The main issue is the voicing in the amp and not the amount of gain (although it does need a pretty big push with an OD and a EQ to clear up the tone to get it there) so when you crank the gain it still sounds like a thrash amp on steroids.

And agreed finding an amp new on a budget that does blues to modern metal is a struggle and vk is usually your best route if you want something versatile and cheap..

And like Highwaytohell stated theres always a used Ultra or XXX combo that can do everything great in my opinion and is alot better choice then a new VK...
they both have the same power behind them - 50 Watts valve. The only difference is the 2x12 has more headroom and the two speakers can handle more power than the 1x12, so it'll sound 'fuller' and will be able to handle more top end volume without obscene feedback.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United