So my friend was wondering what the pros and cons are of having a fretless bass versus a normal bass. He asked me but I really couldn't come up with anything, lol. I figured I'd post here and see what you guys think. Thanks alot
You get a different tone and all you'd really need is some more finger strength and knowledge of where to press the string down to get the correct notes.
Pros:
- the sound
- if you don't have a great ear, you will

Cons:
- you need a great ear to play them in tune, but this will come from sticking to it and practicing
- backlash from guitarist who think they're impossible to stay in tune (just because they need frets all the time)
Also, some people find that fretless can be more expressive due t tgreater control of slides and vibrato.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
i hear you cant slap bass on a frettless because theres no frets for the strings to bounce off not sure if thats true though.
Quote by bass is bestest
i hear you cant slap bass on a frettless because theres no frets for the strings to bounce off not sure if thats true though.

Les Claypool will tell you otherwise.
you can slap on a fretless.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by bass is bestest

You can slap, though it will damage an unprotected fretboard, and the sound is rather unorthodox.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
With the sliding thing
The only time I really slide around is on a fretless, I love the sound of smooth transition

also, you don't have to stick to standard noting, there are just about infinite notes for you to do
(though that would be more for 'by yourself' or with other fretless instruments)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by gm jack
You can slap, though it will damage an unprotected fretboard, and the sound is rather unorthodox.

But many people still do. I dont know why.
I think les claypol slaps on a fretless sometimes.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Woogles
But many people still do. I dont know why.
I think les claypol slaps on a fretless sometimes.

My Name is Mud, Tommy the Cat etc. He slaps on a fretless often.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Pros
-That amazing "mwah" sound
-Incredible ability to slide
-Marcus Miller and Jaco Pastorius sound way cooler
-Play any note you can think of

Cons
-The difficulty curve is so steep you will cry. Get fret markers. Until you can play on tune all the time without thinking about it, you will sound like crap. But kjust keep swimming and it will sound like aural gold.
My fretless is my main bass. But not for the fretless tone, its because it is MUCH smoother to play. I've got fret markers on mine, and its enbonal (synthetic fingerboard material) which does not produce a very good "mwah". I've strung it with rounds, as well. I only really play it because its VERY VERY smooth and sounds more natural.
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Resisting the Urge to Fap since 8/11/08
However, I lost in 3 days.
Quote by Hobolad

Guns don't help defense, they make you more vulnerable if anything. Said this a lot already