Well I've had my new guitar for a couple weeks now and thought I'd offer my beginner's opinion of the oft-heard dilemma of how to spend one's initial gear budget.

There are three options:

1) Spend alot on the best GUITAR possible, and get a basic amp with whatever's left over.

2) Spend alot on the best AMP possible, and get a basic guitar with whatever's left over.

3) More or less split your budget on mid-level guitar and amp

Now, I've noticed the conventional wisdom in this community is to get the best amp possible and don't bother spending alot on a guitar. The reason being, the amp is where your tone comes from and a good guitar won't sound any better through a cheap amp than a cheap guitar.

I can certainly understand this point of view from the perspective of an accomplished guitarist who has developed a sensitive ear for tone.

But as a new player, I lean towards the other opinion of spending as much as you can on your "dream guitar"... the nicest one that you lust for and the most you can afford. Then get a basic practice amp with whatever is left over.

Why? Because the guitar is the part of the system that I hold, that I feel most intimately connected with, and that has the most personal affect on me. To a lesser extent, I also think a good guitar will be easier to play, sound better, stay in tune better, and just in general be more satisfying for a new player to play.

Furthermore, a new player like myself isn't going to be able to make any guitar sound good through any amp, so the issue of tonal quality is largely moot and can almost certainly be met by any variety of inexpensive low-power practice amps.

For my part, I dropped a grand on a new MIA Standard HSS Strat, and $250 on a Cube 30x. Now, after having also bought a Microcube as a second toss-around amp, I've realized that I would have been perfectly content with the Microcube alone and I really didn't need to go even as far as the 30x. To my beginner's ear, the microcube sounds amazing. I listened to an accomplished guitarist play it with a H1 Strat at a local guitar store, and I was awestruck.

I don't regret my lopsided spending at all, and I'm quite certain that at this point I'd get nothing more out of a nice tube stack than I could out of the little Cube. I just love my gorgeous MIA Strat so much I can hardly put it down. There is no question that a nice little low-power tube amp like a Killer Ant is in my future, but for now, Nice Guitar / Cheap Amp satisfies me just fine.

Just my $0.02, sorry for the Wall of Text.

Comments (or flames) are welcome.
My view is: Just don't by anything that is utter crap and you'll be fine. Generally speaking, you should invest at least 150$ for each. If you want a guitar with a tremolo, make that at least 200$.

Anyway, nice you found gear that suits you. Have fun.
But a cube 30x isn't a beginner amp, when we say beginner/cheap amps we mean stuff like the marshall MG kerry king crap little amp. Or stuff like that, roland cube 30x is pretty decent.
Quote by Copilot911
But a cube 30x isn't a beginner amp, when we say beginner/cheap amps we mean stuff like the marshall MG kerry king crap little amp. Or stuff like that, roland cube 30x is pretty decent.

Oh I know! By all accounts, the 30x seems well-regarded and is quite good for a $250 solid-state modeler.

My point was just that I could have aimed even lower for a first amp - i.e., the Microcube - and still be content.
meh when ur just satarting u took the right path. you bought a guitar that will make u want to keep play and an amp that will supply u with enough effects to keep u hooked. now its alot easier to but a nice new amp when u think ur ready. its good u bought a cube though because im pretty sure amp that are crappy like an mg dont have many effects besides a disortion.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
for my first guitar and stuff i got a peavey strater pack came with a 20 watt peavey transtube amp and a peavey exp i got this soloy because my guitar hero van halen was the indorser of the compeny at the time but the guitar i now realise is fairy bad to play but i'll always keep it the amp is fairly nice little practise amp and if it broke i would buy agen i would say spend a bit more on ur guitar only becasue ther sometimes easyer to play so u can learn better
vintage metal axxe reaper
peavey exp special
epipphone sg g310
Quote by ZZRIDER
Oh I know! By all accounts, the 30x seems well-regarded and is quite good for a $250 solid-state modeler.

My point was just that I could have aimed even lower for a first amp - i.e., the Microcube - and still be content.

the only issue with that is time goes by pretty quickly and in 6 months that Micro Cube wouldn't cut it.
SRV R.I.P.
Quote by ZZRIDER
Well I've had my new guitar for a couple weeks now and thought I'd offer my beginner's opinion of the oft-heard dilemma of how to spend one's initial gear budget.

There are three options:

1) Spend alot on the best GUITAR possible, and get a basic amp with whatever's left over.

2) Spend alot on the best AMP possible, and get a basic guitar with whatever's left over.

3) More or less split your budget on mid-level guitar and amp

Now, I've noticed the conventional wisdom in this community is to get the best amp possible and don't bother spending alot on a guitar. The reason being, the amp is where your tone comes from and a good guitar won't sound any better through a cheap amp than a cheap guitar.

I can certainly understand this point of view from the perspective of an accomplished guitarist who has developed a sensitive ear for tone.

But as a new player, I lean towards the other opinion of spending as much as you can on your "dream guitar"... the nicest one that you lust for and the most you can afford. Then get a basic practice amp with whatever is left over.

Why? Because the guitar is the part of the system that I hold, that I feel most intimately connected with, and that has the most personal affect on me. To a lesser extent, I also think a good guitar will be easier to play, sound better, stay in tune better, and just in general be more satisfying for a new player to play.

Furthermore, a new player like myself isn't going to be able to make any guitar sound good through any amp, so the issue of tonal quality is largely moot and can almost certainly be met by any variety of inexpensive low-power practice amps.

For my part, I dropped a grand on a new MIA Standard HSS Strat, and $250 on a Cube 30x. Now, after having also bought a Microcube as a second toss-around amp, I've realized that I would have been perfectly content with the Microcube alone and I really didn't need to go even as far as the 30x. To my beginner's ear, the microcube sounds amazing. I listened to an accomplished guitarist play it with a H1 Strat at a local guitar store, and I was awestruck.

I don't regret my lopsided spending at all, and I'm quite certain that at this point I'd get nothing more out of a nice tube stack than I could out of the little Cube. I just love my gorgeous MIA Strat so much I can hardly put it down. There is no question that a nice little low-power tube amp like a Killer Ant is in my future, but for now, Nice Guitar / Cheap Amp satisfies me just fine.

Just my $0.02, sorry for the Wall of Text.

Comments (or flames) are welcome.

that's sensible enough. you bought one of the best starter amps, and a good guitar. if i were starting off now, i'd buy a cube 30 or microcube, and a yamaha pacifica 112. If i had more money, i'd buy a better guitar (maybe a wahsburn wi65pro or x50pro). you'd need to have, in my opinion, about £600 to spend on the amp before it'd be worth getting a better amp (assuming you need metal tones, and I do).

When we advise people to buy an amp instead of a guitar, they've normally asked us if we recommend a PRS private stock when they're still playing through a marshall MG10. that is obviously daft.

Quote by ZZRIDER

we also recommend the microcube all the time.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dpv
the only issue with that is time goes by pretty quickly and in 6 months that Micro Cube wouldn't cut it.

Right, which is why I also have the 30x. Of course, in 6 months time, it is highly likely that I'll also have a Killer Ant or Little Giant or some such low-wattage tube amp too. Refer to the other thread on GAS.
Quote by Dave_Mc
we also recommend the microcube all the time.

indeed, and this weighed heavily in my choice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?