Hi All,

Just wanted to share a project that I've recently finished up.

The 'Flame Guitar' is a full size, working, playable guitar that I designed and built from scratch in my spare time. This is the first time I've ever built a guitar (or any instrument for that matter). It originally started out as a sculpture for one of my university classes, and just grew from there.

It was a hell of a process to build something so complex - and me being the dumbass I am, just happened to come up with the most difficult shape possible to make a guitar (you have any idea how hard it is to sand in-between all those tiny flame grooves?! Probably should have given that a little more forethought in the early design phase).

Anyhow, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out... it even sounds pretty nice.

Some quick stats:
I designed the body design in 3ds max, Full maple body (one heavy mofo), 100% hand sanded and filed to get the contours on the sides, No access to a router or milling machine (I wish it was that easy), and custom mixed dye for the final color.

So let me know what you think! Any questions, comments, threats, dont hesitate.
Thanks for looking!

Awesome and great photographs.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
very very cool
Quote by PrimalScreamer
Hey TS i just stole your girlfriends wallet and found what seems to be your balls inside.

Gear:
Guitars
Stagg H300 GBK
Framus Nashville
Samick Malibu
Strat/SG Faded Custom
Hopf Acoustic
Hopf Semi Acoustic
Amp
Peavey Deuce Series
Very nice job, especially for a first instrument. Quick question... How's the neck attached to the guitar (Bolt-On, Bolt-In, Set, Neck-Thru, Deep Set, etc.)
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
Very nice job, especially for a first instrument. Quick question... How's the neck attached to the guitar (Bolt-On, Bolt-In, Set, Neck-Thru, Deep Set, etc.)

well in the pics you can see it's a bolt on, one of the bottom ones.

And TS: awesome piece of work; love it
Whoops, sry lol had a brainfart. I was even looking at the neck pocket in the pictures while typing my question. *Slaps self in face*
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I was just wondering what you cut this shape out with? The only way I could think of is with a scroll saw, but it seems lik that would be WAY to sloppy (or maybe I just suck at it...)
Anyways this is very impressive. Good job.
Quote by Van Halen Man
Van Halen Man Is Awesome

Quote by Steve Martin
I believe that sex is the most beautiful, natural, and wholesome thing that money can buy.
I'm usually not into 'gimmicky' guitars (like flames on everything, blood spatter on everything, etc.), but that is beautiful. Not overdone and tastefully designed, like you know it's a flame guitar, but you didn't get stupid with it. And the satin finish really sets off the design. Very nice work, man. I'd totally buy one if I could afford it.

Maybe you could make another in trans electron blue?

Those are very nice shots, too. Photographer?
That is a real nice job, I love the pictures you took while making the guitar..Brilliant!

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

where did you get the know-how to do it?
There once was a chicken named Cluck.
He once was told that he sucked.
He tried to say something
but couldn't say nothing
and came up with "Cluckity-Fuck."

Peace out.
I would be worried about the flames on the horns coming off if you bashed it.

But other wise thats awesome!

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
wow thts ****ing great, especially for a 1st build.

i agree with getting some quality Pickups in it, and if you did put another paint layer on it, it would look even better,

however, its still awesome as it is.

congratz man
Hey everyone! Thanks so much for the kind words, I really appreciate them.

slashrock94 - Hahaha, this one was hard enough to build, I cant imagine making another!

Van Halen Man - Yep, the body was cut out with a scroll saw. Took some finesse and patience, but It did the job ok.

Invader Jim - Thanks for the kind words. Yes I did take the photos myself. I'm actually more of a photographer than I am a guitar builder.

Renegade_Elite - No know-how, just kinda felt my way through the process. Any time I got stuck, I'd search online to help me out.

Absent Mind - I was afraid of that too at first, but the maple is VERY hard and surprisingly strong. It'd take one hell of an impact to break one of those flames.

Thanks again to everyone else.
Feel free if you've got any more questions / comments!
Woah. Never built a guitar before, and then you do THIS? You earn 2000 awesome points. It honestly looks like it could be a custom PRS or Gibson or something, like one of Gibson's Guitars of The Month. Very, very, very well done.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
absolutely stunning guitar.....you could sell those. consider it.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
its not for me, but i appreciate the effort you've put in well done mate, can you sit down and play it though?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Hey, thanks for the kind words everyone.

Invader Jim - Yep, I'm a sucker for symmetry.

BD 425 - Thanks a ton man, Don't think I'm that good yet... but maybe one day!

epy - Hahaha, I've put so much work and so much of myself into the guitar, I dont think I'd be able to part with it for anything less than a truckload of money. I see it more as a fine art sculpture than a guitar now anyways.

rancidryan - Yep! sounds pretty sweet too.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate the encouragement.
That looks amazing, a true labour of love, glad it turned out great!
Dude... this is the anti-... Build me one, bitch!
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
you said that was a first build? Jesus Christ! you are a bloody god at making guitars then! That turned out wonderful!
i auctly like paint the way it is, and the shape is way better than other flame guitars ive seen
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.