Sorry guys... I must admit I'm quite inept at hardware issues . But I'm currently on an Acer laptop running Vista with 1gb ram. On our desktop, we have XP with 1gb of ram, and it never has any trouble. But even in SAFE MODE, basically just running the OS, i'm consistently using 60% of the ram... =0 Just running the computer is consistently 80-90, and going up to 100% A LOT of the time and freezing the computer. I know for a fact that this computer has expandable ram up to 4 gb, but how would i go about buying this? Is there generic ram that works in any laptop? Or do I have to buy it specifically for this model? And how much/where/what should I get?

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Digitech RP100
Kustom RC30
Jazz III picks

Quote by Jaysifer
well i just got owned *hats off to rocktolive*

Quote by restless_thrash
goodness, rocktolive! that's the most intelligent thing i've heard in the pit since Jackal58 came up with sliced e-cookie!
Vista really does need 2GB of RAM. The thing is, you probably have 2 sticks of 512MB now. Best thing to do is get 2 sticks of 1GB RAM, and replace the 512MB ones. If you are really lucky you got 1 stick of 1GB, in which case you just need to get one more.

Don't bother going for the 4GB of RAM, as only 64bit operating systems can utilize it. 32bit OS can only go up to about 3,25GB.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Yeah, don't really worry about 4 gigs. I have 2. So like right now, I have Firefox, Windows Media Player, Audacity, MSN Messenger, and Bittorrent up and I experience 0 slowness.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

I'm not a Vista user so I might be wrong here but I believe they've adopted a similar approach to memory management for Vista as Linux does.

The idea being that all your unused memory is wasteful so put it to use as an application cache. It looks like the memory is used because it's holding data in it but it's just a cache so your programs start faster. When something is loaded that requires more memory the cache is cleared up for what ever needs it.

I could be wrong. Maybe someone with Vista can confirm or correct me.
Yeah - i think the TS might have the same laptop as me - comes standard with 1 GB Ram (Got it upgraded it to 2 GB )...
Acer Extensa 5220...
IMO though, Vista may look nice, but you can get the same effect with XP and Rainmeter. All of the guys i know who have had Vista have hated it, plus XP seems to be a more stable operating system.
On to your questions;
Is there generic ram that works in any laptop? Or do I have to buy it specifically for this model?
There are two generic types of laptop RAM, and you need to know which yours takes. It isn't model specific - imagine how difficult it would be if IBM, Acer, Toshiba etc. all had their own RAM brands specific to their laptops...
And how much/where/what should I get?
HeliuM already answered this one (thanks!)

Hope it helped TS!!
Originally Posted by venom0014
yeaaaaa, i love you zenmaestro in a non gay way

^Of course Venom, everybody does.

Originally Posted by Will_Minus
This guy knows the score.

You see? Someone knows the score.
I'm not sure where to go about getting it or what type of RAM you need, but I know that I have an AMD 64 Duo Core Processor and that as of right now, the CPU is averaging at 10 % and the RAM is pushing 29%. However, after putting it to sleep and bringing it back up, it will be at 8% percent RAM.

But when running high end programs such as Java etc, the RAM can get in excess of 50% or maybe a little lower.

This is with running "3072"mb of RAM (the advertised RAMage) however, it is actually only at 2998 mb.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Thank you 05t16!
Someone who agrees that XP is less hassle
Originally Posted by venom0014
yeaaaaa, i love you zenmaestro in a non gay way