hey i have an ibanez sa series and when i am palm stuff i tend to hit the middle pickup A LOT, stuff like master of puppets and what not

it is really annoying, is there something i am doing wrong? is there something i can do about it, or do i just need to learn to not hit it?
adjust pickup height or learn not to hit it. i pick between the middle and bridge pickups but that's just me, it's preferential i'd say
Quote by Sicko 21X7
tremelo the brown note until she caves
Like with your pick?

I don't know, lower it? Play less aggressively? I don't really have an issue on my Strat with this.
uhmmm, well when i pick the low e string and the pick is on its way to the string the pick hits the pickup

i dont know how else to describe it
how would i lower the pickup, the screws on eiher side of the pickup wont go any further

hell i would remove the pick cause i dont ever use it but i dont even know how to do that lol
Quote by wacko1992
how would i lower the pickup, the screws on eiher side of the pickup wont go any further

hell i would remove the pick cause i dont ever use it but i dont even know how to do that lol

You loosen the screws to make it lower, you know that, right? I know, it seems somewhat counter intuitive.
Quote by TheProducer
You loosen the screws to make it lower, you know that, right? I know, it seems somewhat counter intuitive.

ahh, ill let you guys know how it goes
yeah i was going lefty loosy and the pickup was moving towards the strings
Quote by wacko1992
yeah i was going lefty loosy and the pickup was moving towards the strings

Eh, sorry, I guess I mixed it up. Been a long day. Well, go the other way then
yeah, and if that doesn't work you can always disconnect the pup if you don't use it at all.

idea would be to have A TECH professionally unsoldered correctly. You can't leave bar wire exposed so the other pickups would either have to be rewired too and/or mid pup wires soldered to a ground or something.

again, not an expert which is why i used the word 'professionally' up above. Prolly take an hour to do total and then you could leave the mid pup there so it doesn't look stupid.

Edited.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 11, 2008,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
yeah, and if that doesn't work you can always disconnect the pup if you don't use it at all.

open it up and clip the wires but a better idea would be to have them professionally unsoldered correctly. You can't leave bar wire exposed so the other pickups would either have to be rewired too and/or mid pup wires soldered to a ground or something.

again, not an expert which is why i used the word 'professionally' up above. Prolly take an hour to do total and then you could leave the mid pup there so it doesn't look stupid.

Leaving it there would defeat the purpose, it's in his way, which is why he wants to get rid of it. I agree that it would look silly with a missing pickup if there is a hole for it in the pickguard.
if you want another vote. i'd go with lowering the pickup first.

you should be able to get it almost flush with the guard and you might like the combination of tones with it lowered in this way.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I have the same problem with middle pickups. Most of my guitars came with 2 humbuckers so isnt an issue with them. The single coil strat I have I just got rid of the middle pickup when I had to make a pickguard for it.
hey guys here a crappy blurry ass photo, but you can see it good enough

should it be able to go lower than this,

i have to go to the music store today anyway, ill have them take a look

well i got it lowered, by a lot, they lowered my bridge pickup a bit too

also if you guys wouldnt mind answering another question for me, ive got a weird harmonic thing going on my g string through the upper frets thats pretty annoying, so they were checking that out and thought it might be a bridge problem, they checked the intonation, action, saddle, but they couldnt figure it out, they said it must be the frets, they think the string is touching a fret, but wouldnt bringing up the action fix this problem?

they referred me to "jerry", some guy who does fret work
well raising the action would normally fix that i guess. how far can you slide a credit card up underneath the strings before it gets tight and is it tighter on G string? Search here on intonation.

a warped neck could cause this too but unlikely on a G string. hmmm.

so how were they able to lower the pups and did you get to watch them check it over?

ps. i'm not a guitar tech just trying help.
what really pisses me off is that i didnt notice the harmonic before i got the guitar set up a week ago
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
well raising the action would normally fix that i guess. how far can you slide a credit card up underneath the strings before it gets tight and is it tighter on G string? Search here on intonation.

a warped neck could cause this too but unlikely on a G string. hmmm.

so how were they able to lower the pups and did you get to watch them check it over?

ps. i'm not a guitar tech just trying help.

damn i shouldve watched the guitar tech do it but, i told my guitar teacher about the problems and he took it to the tech and i just sat in the lesson room lol
well, sounds like you've got some stuff to go on and sorry if I used the word Warped...it may just be bowed a bit due to action and new strings and such.

and i actually just now read that this change occured after having it set up last week. Did you get new strings too? Was the Set up done by the same place?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
well, sounds like you've got some stuff to go on and sorry if I used the word Warped...it may just be bowed a bit due to action and new strings and such.

and i actually just now read that this change occured after having it set up last week. Did you get new strings too? Was the Set up done by the same place?

yes and yes