I Cant read music and i need to learn for some music ill be playing soon....so i really need help with this one...anyone who can reply to this
what do you want us to say? read music?
the only thing we can help you with is telling you to learn to read.
I've been playing 8 years, and notes on a page look like stick people. Don't learn it's worthless. Tab > reading music. I know reading music has it's benifits, but not worth learning. It's like learning to crack a cocont, you will use it while your in Hawaii, but when you leave it was the dumbest thing ever.
Also, get guitar pro and put the notes you need to read in, it will produce tabs and how it sounds. Worth the money if you ask me, you won't need to learn.
Quote by SDZAKKMF
I've been playing 8 years, and notes on a page look like stick people. Don't learn it's worthless. Tab > reading music. I know reading music has it's benifits, but not worth learning. It's like learning to crack a cocont, you will use it while your in Hawaii, but when you leave it was the dumbest thing ever.

Except if you ever want to play with other people or be even semi-professional in your music. Then, without learning it, you're boned like a ten year old at a pedophile's pool party.
All your base are belong to us.
Quote by Xp3ns1v3
Except if you ever want to play with other people or be even semi-professional in your music. Then, without learning it, you're boned like a ten year old at a pedophile's pool party.

wrong if your friends read tabs,
and being professional means you HAVE to read music?

(and btw i can read music, but tabs are so much more convenient)
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Don't listen to the people that say you don't have to learn to read music.

Tabs are handy, but trust me, reading music is so much better. You get the rhythm, length of notes, and once you learn all of the notes on the fretboard you'll be able to play the song anywhere.

In a few years you'll regret not learning to read music earlier, or (at worst case scenario) it'll be 10 minutes in a day learning something that you never use.

Reading music is a MUST for any guitarist. I know that there are good guitarists out there that can't even read tabs, but guitarists like Steve Vai and Joe Satriani - masters of the artform - know how to fluently read music.
Quote by SDZAKKMF
you won't need to learn.

why is it that this kind of attitude has become acceptable among guitarists?

And learning notation and theory in general help hugely. I'd go with his guitar pro suggestion though. or even powertab. It'll give you the sheet music for the song as well as the tab. If you look at the sheet music for a song you already know, you can associate the notes on the screen with the sounds from the amp.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
You will become a much better all around musician if you learn to read standard notation. Not only will you be able to play something without ever hearing it, but you can also know what it will sound like even before you play it. That is, if you spend a lot of time developing your ear through aural training. Honestly, I don't even use tabs anymore. I just learn by ear and every now and then I'll transpose a song into sheet music just for the practice. In no way is it useless. Plus, if you only use tabs for the rest of your life, other instrumentalists really will make fun of you. That is, if you are planning on playing with them, which is another thing I highly recommend....
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Go buy a beginners' learn to play guitar book and learn to read the music off of the staff. Just do it. You wont regret doing it. If you do regret it, go ahead and contact me personally and tell me how it just screwed up your life.
How long would it take an average person to learn to read music?

I've been playing guitar for a while now and I've never felt the need to learn, however if its gonna improve my playing then I'm definately willing.
I cant read music notation persay. I cant look at some sheet music and go A, E, G, etc. But I did learn to read it so I know the correct way to play something by looking at sheet music. Guitar pro has helped alot by being able to slow things down or change them around if I chose. So I have learned alternate ways of playing the same thing. But I cant sit and quote the A ionian scale to you like some can. There are many really good players who dont know alot or any music theory. But it has improved my playing alot. I go by dimbags saying "learn something new each day even if its just a little riff, thats 365 little riffs a year".
Not learning how to read and write in english hasn't stopped many a UG poster from creating masterpieces of er.... Oh nevermind, bad example.