i know the obvious is to get an amp from them, but i don't have the cash, so i was wondering what i could get to suffice until then, i have dimarzio x2n's in both my guitars (6 and 7 string) and i would like a sound like a dual rectifier...
i plan on buying a mesa up the road but which of these will get me a close sound for now?
(this is going into a marshall valvestate, 1/2 valve 1/2 state)

a boss mt-2
a metal muff with boost
a zoom tri-metal
or something else if you have a suggestion.

i want a sound like metallica, trivium, or killswitch engage, and i have an mt-2 now,

also as a side note, i was just wondering what the real difference between the dual and triple rectifiers were that'd be a major help
thanks for the help
dual is 100 watts, triple is 150

sell all your stuff and buy a b52, there considered the poor mans mesa

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

The roland cube has a rectifier model amp...it works fine...but its definately no where close to the original rectifier...I use the mesa amp models on my GT-8, and they rock to me...but getting the settings right on tat could be tricky...
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
Quote by kennethdave
The roland cube has a rectifier model amp...it works fine...but its definately no where close to the original rectifier...I use the mesa amp models on my GT-8, and they rock to me...but getting the settings right on tat could be tricky...

Neither of them will be too close, as they're digital and the original amp is a hulking great tube monster
The best way to get the tone would be to actually get one, but the best digital emulation I've heard would be on the Line 6 Pods, but even that's not the best
ohai little sig.

Which B-52 are you talking about? I have the same question as Metalmaker
well first it's a newer valvestate, and i'm looking to spend under $150 or so for now, so any suggestions for that price range would be extremely helpful
Quote by Demonikk
Neither of them will be too close, as they're digital and the original amp is a hulking great tube monster
The best way to get the tone would be to actually get one, but the best digital emulation I've heard would be on the Line 6 Pods, but even that's not the best

Yeah, u got a point there....hmmm, the Pods, personally, i think most distortion from the Pods are quite digital, they have good clean sounds though...i still find BOSS products to have better distortion...the rectifier in the GT-8 is actually pretty darn good for being a digital effect...and if you boost it with a little drive from the Tubescreamer, ur melting faces sweetheart...

But hey, tats juz wat i think man...i duno bout the GT-10 though, i haven got a chance to test those monsters...
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
^At 112, 212, or the head would all work. My f-30 can do some rectifier tones and I'd imagine a DC series mesa could as well. The f series go used for about the same as a new b-52. Worth a look if you can try them out, amazing amps.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
okay no offense, i really appreciate the help, but i'm seriously just looking for something under about $120, so like a pedal, not a multipedal, just because i don't think i could figure it out or because there are so many good, but expensive ones. so if you could suggest a heavy and high quality, but rather cheap distortion pedal, that would be helpful
I have a Metal Muff that I used to use through my MG and it sounded pretty good, not great but good. I'm sure it would sound better on your valvestate. It's not really a Recto in a box, but it's the closest thing I've found.
Tech 21 Character pedals or something like that. They do a california pedal which is based on a mesa, though I'm not sure which, it might be the lonestar. They're basically analogue amp simulators.
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by gtr_101

I'm really getting sick of people saying this.

They have quite a bit of gain and are voiced more modern, yes, but they DO NOT sound like a Mesa. Just because something has a lot of gain doesn't mean that it's automatically the "poor man's mesa." People seem to just throw this term around a lot on this forum and I have no doubt that half the people that use the term have never even played a Mesa before.

TS, you're not going to get a Mesa sound for $120, it's that simple. However, you might be able to change what you don't like about your amp's sound for that amount, or get close enough to hold you over till you can buy a better amp.

So... what do you not like about your tone?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Sansamp gt-2 or the new one by tech 21, the california character pedal
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Last edited by mothership at Jul 12, 2008,
Quote by Oc3lot
get a mesa boogie

As obvious as it sounds, there is no way you can substitute or model the sound of a tube amp, esdpecially one like a Mesa Rectifier without actually owning a Rectifier. I would also reconsider on the basis of the fact that none of those bands you listed use Mesa Boogie amplifiers. Trivium uses Marshalls, Metallica use about 45692 different amps and I don;t know what Killswitch Engage use, but I know it's not Mesa. Basically, you are after an American voiced high-gain metal sound as far as I know, I would look at the Peavey 6505+ for someone like you, used off EBay, or lok at the B52's or Bugera's are able to produce a decent sound for that kind of music on a budget.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by Oc3lot
get a mesa boogie

The most TRUE THING in this whole thread so far

TS your not going to get mesa tone WITHOUT A MESA. Save your money so that later you can actually afford one. Sell your MT-2 and use the money in a savings account to BUY A MESA!

You cant SOUND like Mesa WITHOUT A MESA!!
trivium and killswitch use 65o5s

you can come really close with a line 6 flextone, sell your metal pedal and save your $ you have now and get a used flextone (about 350$)
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Schecter c-1 FR prototype (for sale)
Squier strat

VOTE FOR MY BAND TO PLAY WARPED TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.battleofthebands/darkestbeforedawn
Get a used Mesa Rectifier preamp pedal, that'll be as close as you'll get.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
okay, thanks for the advice, i have to give true thanks to IncubusMan999, you're down to earth, and realize that getting things for cheaper but still in good condition, is the best way to go, so thanks, now my real question is this, what cabinet should i get(it's gotta be little like a half stack) or could i use the marshall valvestate i have and run it through that? (NOTICE: THE MARSHALL IS A COMBO so would that change anything?)
Also for the tones i'm wanting, 6505 or the 6505+?
and would i need a pedal at all, or could the head do it all?
I've played a few Mesas. I tried the dual, and triple rectifier. One was through a 212 cab, and I didn't even like it. It sounded very fuzzy, even though I tweaked it for almost 15 minutes. The other one I tried sounded pretty Br00talz. I don't know if you are going to be able to replicate that with a valvestate, or the 6505.
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
Amp modellers can have acceptable accuracy - I love the Recto model in my GNX. And if you want a modeller minus the effects, I found the Line6 AM4 while researching my options before getting my GNX. It's basically a Pod without the added effects chain, just an amp modeller. I don't know how much they're worth, but in England about the £100 mark, so maybe $100 (damned economy...)

Failing that, Mesa did indeed make a pre-amp called the V Twin which has a pair of tubes in a large pedal. Gives a good sound, but that's dependent on your rig. Note that any amp modelling or pre-amps you use should go into an effects loop (if your VS has one), as this bypasses the amp's pre-amp/gain stage. This gives the best sound.

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
it's impossible. you can get close, but you cant get it. buy a used one and haggle it down. i got mine for cheap.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Buy a mesa boogie.

/thread.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by samlocke14
wrong, killswitch use hughs & kettner (is that how u spell it?) heads with mesa cabs.

Wrong again.

Killswitch use MANY different amps, not just one.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'm really getting sick of people saying this.

They have quite a bit of gain and are voiced more modern, yes, but they DO NOT sound like a Mesa. Just because something has a lot of gain doesn't mean that it's automatically the "poor man's mesa." People seem to just throw this term around a lot on this forum and I have no doubt that half the people that use the term have never even played a Mesa before.

TS, you're not going to get a Mesa sound for $120, it's that simple. However, you might be able to change what you don't like about your amp's sound for that amount, or get close enough to hold you over till you can buy a better amp.

So... what do you not like about your tone?

+1 +1 +1 Those amps sound NOTHING like a single, dual, or triple rectifier.
stop being cheap TS. i'm by no means a rich guy, but i was able to wait till i got a deal on a BRAND NEW Randall RM50 for HALF PRICE. $1400 for $750 (just over half really) tax included. it IS possible. you can't try and buy a cheap, quick fix. you gotta save your money and buy smart. do your research. what you need to do is sell that fake marshall and combine it with more savings to purchase a higher gained american voiced tube amp. something like a used 5150 or 6550 (around $500 to $800 depending) would be what you want. and for that much money you can't complain, b/c that's really not a lot for an amp that absolutely delivers and is tube at the same time.

so...um....sorry to snap you back to reality w/ the other joy-killers here....but you're NOT going to be satisfied w/ a quick fix for more than a week. If it were really that simple then people wouldn't buy tube amps....they'd just buy pedals upon pedals that COPY famous tube amps.....well those people do exist and they usually have pretty nasty tone lol.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by Metalmaker
okay, thanks for the advice, i have to give true thanks to IncubusMan999, you're down to earth, and realize that getting things for cheaper but still in good condition, is the best way to go, so thanks, now my real question is this, what cabinet should i get(it's gotta be little like a half stack) or could i use the marshall valvestate i have and run it through that? (NOTICE: THE MARSHALL IS A COMBO so would that change anything?)

Mate, that's no problem at all. EBay is always your best bet. I really only go to music shop for accessories like strings and leads and maybe some slightly bigger things. In terms of what cabinet you should look at, it really depends on what type of sound you are after. Mesa amps have always gone well with Marshall cabs. Orange cabs are also brilliant, but pricey. If i were you, I would look at some Avatar cabs, I had one for ages and it was really great. Whatever amp you have, a cab will fatten it up a bit and fill out the sound, but you won't get as much clarity as a combo. I would look at some Avatar cabs, or maybe even a used 5150/6505 combo on EBay.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by slash_rocks2005
stop being cheap TS. i'm by no means a rich guy, but i was able to wait till i got a deal on a BRAND NEW Randall RM50 for HALF PRICE. $1400 for $750 (just over half really) tax included. it IS possible. you can't try and buy a cheap, quick fix. you gotta save your money and buy smart. do your research. what you need to do is sell that fake marshall and combine it with more savings to purchase a higher gained american voiced tube amp. something like a used 5150 or 6550 (around $500 to $800 depending) would be what you want. and for that much money you can't complain, b/c that's really not a lot for an amp that absolutely delivers and is tube at the same time.

so...um....sorry to snap you back to reality w/ the other joy-killers here....but you're NOT going to be satisfied w/ a quick fix for more than a week. If it were really that simple then people wouldn't buy tube amps....they'd just buy pedals upon pedals that COPY famous tube amps.....well those people do exist and they usually have pretty nasty tone lol.

i don't think its fair to call the TS cheap, you have no idea what the TS's financial situation is and even if he could save up, maybe he doesn't have the time to wait or can't justify spending that much on an amp for countless reasons...

as was mentioned earlier killswitch engage uses a variety of amps... someone said they "didn't" use mesa and that is incorrect because that is one of the amps they in fact do use.
poor or not, if you want something bad enough you'll save for it. if finances are really tight, you gotta look used and find a good deal. if the TS can save for a nice pedal and extension cab, he can surely save for a better amp.

i didn't mean to accuse the TS of being a cheap-o. but if he simply wants great tone he's gonna have to expect to give a lil more than expected.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by killerKOOL12345
dude look at this...

http://www.bossus.com/go/tone/ look for killswtich engadge and see what pedals u would need to make the exact sound

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by killerKOOL12345
dude look at this...

http://www.bossus.com/go/tone/ look for killswtich engadge and see what pedals u would need to make the exact sound

Thanks for a 2 year necrobump
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com