Page 1 of 5
yeah some good bands but a lot of ****ty generic street punk and im ify about the fans they buy those 80 dollar stretch jeans. how can a punk afford 80 dollar pants come on? its too much about the fashion with some people.
I used to love it when I was fifteen or sixteen, but then I realized that hardcore is better.
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
Quote by j-dizzle7
yeah some good bands but a lot of ****ty generic street punk and im ify about the fans they buy those 80 dollar stretch jeans. how can a punk afford 80 dollar pants come on? its too much about the fashion with some people.

you seem to be laboring under the delusion that a punk has to be piss poor. i make enough at my job that i could afford a pair, but i don't want them. I think they are stupid and a waste of money. its not a question of how much money you have, its a question of what you do with it. and for the record, i agree with you that buying an 80 dollar pair of jeans is absurd.
I think the idea of street punk is kinda fun (i guess the idea is just screwing around and having fun)
but i can kinda break them down like this
A) Some of them are really passionate about punk and just havn't found a bunch of other awesome bands (be it hardcore, crust, skacore, glam etc)
B) total dumbasses

and to quote the B category
''Politicians everywhere
Coming over to the shows
You can see them at the shows
Preaching crap like they know it all

Politicians....[x3]
No More Politicians

Politicians on the streets
Won't leave me alone, won't let me be
They always try to bring me down
'cause I'm punk in the Underground

****ing preaching to you and me
With your preach of anarchy
You were the first to say punk is dead
but it's alive and doing well....Go

Politicians....[x3]
No More Politicians

Politicians go away
Don't need your kind, don't need it here
You used to wear the business suit
Now you're wearing combat boots
Politicians Everywhere
Stupid long and dready hair
You can see them during the shows
Preaching lies, I know you all
I've heard some people classify bands like Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys as StreetPunk. Is that a valid classification?
Other than that, I've really only heard "Oi! Oi! Oi!".
Quote by Blastiiid
I've heard some people classify bands like Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys as StreetPunk. Is that a valid classification?
Other than that, I've really only heard "Oi! Oi! Oi!".

probably not...

and Oi! Oi! Oi!, the cockney rejects song? that genre is called Oi!
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
Quote by Blastiiid
I've heard some people classify bands like Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys as StreetPunk. Is that a valid classification?.

It is certainly not valid.
Ah. Then I guess I have no clue what I'm talking about...
Are there any good StreetPunk bands out there just so I could get a taste?
Quote by Blastiiid

Are there any good StreetPunk bands out there just so I could get a taste?

Nope.

Ah, there are a few I guess, that could be losely described as street punk. Truth be told, it's always been the joke of punk, sort of a fashion trend and a reason for people to hate the 'punk image', which is why it's so often despised (Casualties/Unseen), but I still can enjoy a few bands. Try the Anti-Nowhere League. Global Threat is halfway decent as well, I was sort of sad when they broke up.
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
The bets street punk band ever is U.S. Chaos.

Period.
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
Quote by RockThe40oz
It really depends on the band.

Most street punk fans, however... good drinking partners... terrible conversationally...

Two weeks ago I was on a festival, when we sat at the campsite and tried to get some meat warm (while the Angelic Upstarts were playing) a guy with a mohawk and a leatherjacket came to us, he asked if we had something to eat, we didn´t have anything, but our neighbour (they looked like they were going to a fishing trip) gave him some salad, we asked him were he came from, he said: "originally from Stuttgart, now I live on the street. I was in munich, in essen and bochum, now I´ve heard you can camp here for free, now I´m here."

Sometiems street punks are really nice guys and I also like The Restarts a lot, also some Chaos UK and Cheap Sex. I know that the Casualties have stupid texts, but I still can listen to them for a while.
A Global Threat ftw! The Unseen old stuff is probably as good as street punk gets also. I like On The Front Line by The Casualties too... The rest I've heard outside of the Cockney Rejects (who are more oi!) and The Virus are pretty sucky. Oh I forgot about Lower Class Brats, I quite like them.
Wensday Night Heroes are a really catchy street sounding band, Lower Class Brats are good too.
Quote by Adam_Harrison9
A Global Threat ftw! The Unseen old stuff is probably as good as street punk gets also. I like On The Front Line by The Casualties too... The rest I've heard outside of the Cockney Rejects (who are more oi!) and The Virus are pretty sucky. Oh I forgot about Lower Class Brats, I quite like them.

MEh, Oi is pretty much the same thing as Street Punk (imo)
Quote by crustyreed
I think the idea of street punk is kinda fun (i guess the idea is just screwing around and having fun)
but i can kinda break them down like this
A) Some of them are really passionate about punk and just havn't found a bunch of other awesome bands (be it hardcore, crust, skacore, glam etc)
B) total dumbasses

and to quote the B category
''Politicians everywhere
Coming over to the shows
You can see them at the shows
Preaching crap like they know it all

Politicians....[x3]
No More Politicians

Politicians on the streets
Won't leave me alone, won't let me be
They always try to bring me down
'cause I'm punk in the Underground

****ing preaching to you and me
With your preach of anarchy
You were the first to say punk is dead
but it's alive and doing well....Go

Politicians....[x3]
No More Politicians

Politicians go away
Don't need your kind, don't need it here
You used to wear the business suit
Now you're wearing combat boots
Politicians Everywhere
Stupid long and dready hair
You can see them during the shows
Preaching lies, I know you all

I hate when politicians are always hassling me at shows.
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
Oi really isn't the same as street punk at all. Unless you count street punks shouting "oi!" all the time. The music is quite a bit different.
The Partisans are cool

Oxymoron and The Restarts arn't too bad either. Maybe Blanks 77
Quote by lavazza
There are always thread like this, but the interesting thing about htese threads are if they end up on a discussion about "The Clash vs. Sex Pistols", "Is Wattie a Nazi?" or "Emma Watson and oil"

Quote by Ska Wars
I hate when politicians are always hassling me at shows.

Mitt Romney once beat me up at a show

Jack my swag
I only like a few street punk bands but most of the street punks I've met have actually been very nice to me. This may be because I look like them to an extent. (No matter what I wear I still have several facial piercings and my hair is usually some unnatural color.) Loads of street punks aren't bad people, it's just that the more asinine fans are more vocal and more attention grabbing in their actions so they get a bad rep.

I mean really, who's more likely to be noticed? The really nice kid who asked you about yourself and was downright pleasant or the asshole who started a fight with some other kid because he pushed him in a pit?

I was at a show a few weeks ago and some kid saw my A Global Threat shirt and started a short conversation about how they suck at kickball.
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
The only street punk ive heard is the Casualties. Besides street punk bands being extra punx how are they different from other kinds of punk?
Basically, it's even faster and more raw sounding than most other types of punk and the songs are mostly about life on the street, fighting, drinking, camaraderie with other punks, etc. It tends to be less intelligent than other types of punk too. I don't mean that in an unkind way, the lyrics just tend to be simpler.

EDIT: Also, the vocals are almost always screamed or yelled.

I hope that helps, I'm a tad smashed at the moment.
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
Last edited by CowsWithGuns at Jul 12, 2008,
Quote by CowsWithGuns
Basically, it's even faster and more raw sounding than most other types of punk and the songs are mostly about life on the street, fighting, drinking, camaraderie with other punks, etc. It tends to be less intelligent than other types of punk too. I don't mean that in an unkind way, the lyrics just tend to be simpler.

EDIT: Also, the vocals are almost always screamed or yelled.

I hope that helps, I'm a tad smashed at the moment.

songs about life on the street sung by rich suburban white kids. and its definitely not nearly as fast or raw as crust.
Quote by Swap-Meet
Jorge isn't white
Bones & Rob Chaos aren't rich kids

Oh man i can't beleive you brought this up!

I heard rob is the biggest ****ing prick in the WORLD.
hahahahahhahhahaahahah

and their are bands with english as their second language that express themselves WAY better then jorge BTW.

''Basically, it's even faster and more raw sounding than most other types of punk''
CWG (yeah i did just quote like that)

Most punkcore stuff is more polished. which is actually unfortunate because maybe if they recorded that stuff like it was actually punk it might be good.
Quote by pick_it_up666
Wensday Night Heroes are a really catchy street sounding band.

I like them. Are they street? Holy ****, I like a street punk band! Sound the alarm.

But then again, it might be more or less because they're local(ish) and I've met them and I know they're not assholes. Plus their real asshole fans don't come out to shows here much anymore. (3 or 4 years ago, it was a different story...)

Quote by crustyreed
and their are bands with english as their second language that express themselves WAY better then jorge BTW.

I'll cite Gogol Bordello as a prime example, although maybe not the best example because they're kind of... unique.

Anyway, I don't usually like street punk because it's apathetic, apolitical and often violent. The music has never really appealed to me that much either. It's like a poor man's hardcore. (although I guess the phrase "a poor man's _________" doesn't really apply to punk but you know what I mean)

There are exceptions, of course.

Also, when I bring up hardcore I might cause some debate in terms of the apathy, violence and apolitical nature of hardcore, but I will argue that hardcore isn't defined by such things, and doesn't usually conform to that model. (At least when we're talking about genuine hardcore, which I am.)
Quote by RockThe40oz
That's because English isn't your first language

Probably.
But do you guys know a song by Exploited? It sounds highly intelligent to me, I think the text is:
Sex and Violence
Sex and Violence
Sex and Violence
Sex and Violence

that must be Shakespeare right?
Page 1 of 5