Well ive ben playing for a year and im pretty good.My brother has just told me he wants to play also,mainly because he feels left out when me and our best friend talk about guitars(the best friend is pretty bad,he knows though and practices)So i am to go about teaching him.
The reason i started playing is cus my dad does,and we play together,just me and him.Now call me a pussy,but i liek being with him.Im afraid my bro will ruin it.
Ive started teaching him chords,just to see if hes really in for the long haul.I think im doing it right.
Now i prefer blues style,he prefers van halen style tapping and shredding.No idea how to teach him.
Im going into high school,and wanna try to start a band.I think itd be cool having him play with me,but theres ALOTA friends that i no that play guitar,none of them any better than the other(meaning there all pretty bad),and im afraid im gonna hafta choose some friends over others.
So to sum it up...1-shood i feel wierd bout my bro playing guitar(
2-How do i teach a different style(
3-How to choose friend over friend

tried to cut down the potential wall of text.
meh
Your bro is your bro, theres nothing to feel weird about.

You can teach a different style after learning a different style.

You pick some friends over others because some just arent as good. If they can't handle that fact then w/e.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
1. Yeah, you're his brother, but that doesn't mean you can't be there to teach him. Maybe encourage him to play the drums or bass if it really bothers you
2.First, learn how to play the style. Then teaching comes naturally.
3.Go by their potential talent, their willingness to learn new music and their respect for other's opinions.
Just remember, at the end of the game, the king and the pawn go in the same box
1. No, but if you really feel that weird tell him to learn bass or drums.
2. How are you supposed to teach something that you don't know yourself. YOU CAN'T.
3. Wait for someone with talent.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
nice responses i feel pretty dumb haha

and i tried to get him to play both,but he says"drums suck,and bass is for nerdy kids."
meh
Quote by roosoh13
1. Yeah, you're his brother, but that doesn't mean you can't be there to teach him. Maybe encourage him to play the drums or bass if it really bothers you
2.First, learn how to play the style. Then teaching comes naturally.
3.Go by their potential talent, their willingness to learn new music and their respect for other's opinions.

THIS.

my little brother was wanting to learn guitar (he's only 7 so its about time to start him on sumthin) but then i encouraged him to play drums..as i would like someone to play along with while i play guitar.
give him the steve vai 10 hour workout and let him teach himself.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Get all your friends into the band and make a wall of noise...

Hey at least you'll sound unique.

Plus It makes rehearsal costs much less
Quote by RPGoof
1) no
2) learn that different style yourself
3) choose whatever friend you want and tell the others to f off

This guy just summed up the everything. Do what he said and look Malcolm Young got Angus into playing guitar and they are in the same band together (Ac/Dc) you never know it could turn out like that.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2