I have a Crate Stealth 50 watt amp. I've been having problems with the volume cutting out to about 1/4 of what it was. That is to say, if I were playing with the volume at 8 the sound would be reduced to 2 without me touching any knobs on the amp or guitar. The problem happens usually happens after I have playing 15 minutes or so, but other times it will happen as soon as the amp is powered on and warmed up. Sometiems the amp works without a hitch. I have played multiple guitars, cables, effects, etc and nothing has worked.

So, any ideas?
Maybe you have a bad powertube? How old are the tubes? Are they all still glowing when the volume drops?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by iholmesz
I have a Crate Stealth 50 watt amp. I've been having problems with the volume cutting out to about 1/4 of what it was. That is to say, if I were playing with the volume at 8 the sound would be reduced to 2 without me touching any knobs on the amp or guitar. The problem happens usually happens after I have playing 15 minutes or so, but other times it will happen as soon as the amp is powered on and warmed up. Sometiems the amp works without a hitch. I have played multiple guitars, cables, effects, etc and nothing has worked.

So, any ideas?

Sounds like you have a burnt out tube, same thing happened to me with my crate v-series, tubes burnt out like once every 9 months or so, depending on how much you play.
I'm not sure how old the tubes are. I've had the amp since December, but it had a previous owner. The tubes are still glowing when the volume drops. Is a powertube something different than the four tubes I see sticking down?
I was assuming that when a tube burnt out, it was out. I.e. I would be having the problem all the time instead of intermittently.
Quote by rossjohnson87
Sounds like you have a burnt out tube, same thing happened to me with my crate v-series, tubes burnt out like once every 9 months or so, depending on how much you play.

Well, more acurately 2 years give or take for power tubes and roughly 4 or 5 for preamp tubes.

Quote by iholmesz
I'm not sure how old the tubes are. I've had the amp since December, but it had a previous owner. The tubes are still glowing when the volume drops. Is a powertube something different than the four tubes I see sticking down?

Power tubes are the big ones, preamp tubes are the small ones.
Tubes are like strings, gotta change em out from time to time man.

But the hassle is worth the sound quality in the end. I promise.

And sidenote, never buy a used amp man.
Yehhh, I know tubes have to be changed. I asked a tech the above question and he was clueless too. How can I test the tubes to see which are bad (thread link?)
And whats wrong with used amps?
Guitar: Ibanez Rg 2ex2/ with Dizmarzio Super Distortion
Amp: Peavey Valveking 212 (replacing soon)
Pedals: Planet Waves Tuner, Boss DS-1, Digitech DF-7, MXR-108 EQ
Quote by yocomobebes
And whats wrong with used amps?

+1

^RJ, that's one of the silliest things I've ever read. Used amps are one of the greatest bargains in the the world of music gear.
Bullshevik, you never know the history of a dang amp, you go to a pawn shop and end up getting on that some 13 year old has had the distoration cranked at max volume and ruined the speakers and crap.

Don't buy used, you'll get hosed.
Wrong. Play it for a length of time, a few times and then make a decision. Not everything used is shti.

EDIT: Anyway, the consensus is that I need power tubes? How do I test them?
Your funeral, a new one that's well maintained and taken care of will last you forever, used = ticking time bomb
Quote by rossjohnson87
Your funeral, a new one that's well maintained and taken care of will last you forever, used = ticking time bomb

Off topic. Stop.
I feel somebody had a bad experience with a used amp? Hmm?
Well you can check if the tube is microphonic, but your best bet is just replace them no matter what. Plus youll have the knowledge that there are new fresh tubes in it.
Quote by yocomobebes
I feel somebody had a bad experience with a used amp? Hmm?

No, the amp performs badas s.
The cost of replacing the tubes will be nothing relative to how much I would have spent on a new amp of the same caliber.

Any suggestions on what tubes to get? They're 6v6's.
JJ's maybe? I dunno, probably oughta ask in the tubes sticky, roc has always got an answer.
Yeah I just found and read that post. 99% sure I'm going with JJ's. Gracias.
Quote by rossjohnson87

And sidenote, never buy a used amp man.

Worst advice ever.

But it does sound like a tube issue. I'd go ahead and change them.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I know this is a old thread but I have a GT-50 that is doing the same thing. Brought it to a tech and he said the tubes were good. He couldn't nail the issue though.
Did you ever find the issue?