I have two questions:

I'd like to buy my guitarist an new amp. His recently died, and he's a few year younger than me, doesn't have a job and because of his family situation isn't getting an amp any time soon. Now I really don't know alot about guitar amps, but he needs something that can be heard over a heavy handed drummer and 100 Watt bass amp. He mainly plays harcore and metal. And I'm not real sure about a budget, since I have no idead what to look for.

My other question is, I would like to buy an guitar myself. I was think about getting a Squier Telecaster. Squier is held in rather high esteem in the bass community, is the same true of their guitar counterparts? Are there some other guitars I should take a look at in the 200-300 dollar price range? I play mostly punk, and my big influence would be East Bay Ray.

Thanks!
Well, to answer question one, you'd need about 50-75 watts solid state and about 30 watts in a tube amp. That's about all I can say without a budget. You're a swell guy by the sounds of it though!

As for number two, Squier is alright. However for $300 you could probably get a used Fender MIM Telecaster that'll be much better.
Last edited by TheProducer at Jul 11, 2008,
I would go with a nice marshall tube amp about 30-50 watts like theproducer said, if price isn't a problem.
to be louder than 100 watts bass your guitarrist will be fine with 50ss or 30tube, even with 30ss he could play in band practice
and as for squier guitars you can find really nice guitars, but you have to look, i have found some affintys that played better than MIMs
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Well, as far as budget goes I'd like to spend as little as possible. I also don't want to get him a peice of crap.
Quote by litus
to be louder than 100 watts bass your guitarrist will be fine with 50ss or 30tube, even with 30ss he could play in band practice
and as for squier guitars you can find really nice guitars, but you have to look, i have found some affintys that played better than MIMs

True, 50 watts solid state should do. I added a little extra to account for the heavy hitting drummer. But I think 50 should do. Come to think of it, any more is going to drown out the bass anyways.

TS, do you want tube or solid state? That's the big choice.
Quote by Captain Insano
Explain the difference between SS and tube?

Being as bassist, I've only dealt with SS.

Tube amps are generally more flexible and have a warmer tone than SS.
Keeping it real since '92
From what I hear, Peavey Valveking's and B-52 AT series are good

Oh and to answer your second question.
If it's your first guitar then yes i would be decent.
Keeping it real since '92
Last edited by Toolfan11 at Jul 11, 2008,