Is it just me, or is it extremely annoying when a song has one instrument panned to the right or left, and nothing else on the other side to counter-balance? Such as Van Halen's "Dance the Night Away" The guitar is on the left the whole time, while the rest of the track is centered.
Annoying, or am I just OCD?
No, it's ****ing annoying.

Panning also sucks when one side of your headphones is broke.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by RPGoof
I am just OCD.

Agreed.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
its extremely annoying when im panning and all i get is rocks
Quote by dullsilver_mike
I wouldn't be friends with him after that whole text messege thing... not because he's a a cheater but because he's a text-messeger
i love it. it helps me feel the music in 3D. take the beatles "Norwegian Wood" for example. the guitar part plays in the left, and the sitar is sort of upper right. gives the music depth.
Yeah, it can get pretty annoying.
Like back in the days they only had 4-track or 8track tape recorders. So they had to do such crazy panning to create variation in their music and to make sure all the instruments come out clearly in the mix.

Panning is quite an art to master though. And like sometimes tricks like that work quite awesomely but sometimes they sound **** n annoying...
Quote by DiveRightIn63

+1 It Sucks

Tell me why I had to be a powerslave
I dont wanna die, Im a god, why cant I live on?
When the life giver dies, all around is laid to waste.
And in my last hour,
Im a slave to the power of death

Member Of The Jagermeister Fan Club
i like it sometimes especially when the sound that starts in the left channel goes to the right channel or vice versa like the trial in the wall album when the verse starts with the mother going "baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabe" its cool effect but the song sucks when one of my channels go.
"Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join

love The Evil Dead films? Join my group: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/boomstick/

Quote by pepsi1187
not to mention herbert from family guy will touch you in your sleep
When used in moderation it's great, but it's used too much a lot, and it's not so good with headphones.
If you listen to Micro Cuts with headphones, the panning at the end makes your head hurt.
If you ever listen to "Light My Fire" by the Doors, its the bass and drums out one side and the guitar and keyboard out the other I think. But I just remember missing out on the full experience that is the great instrumental part when my headphones broke : (
Guitars

Epiphone 1958 Ebony Explorer
Fender Standard Stratocaster

Amp/Gear

Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff

Gunnery Sergeant of the Megadeth Military
PM BlackciN to join/get ranking
I don't mind with instruments usually (although the TS's example is an annoying one) what I hate is when the Vox are panned hard in one direction, especially because I'm almost totally deaf in one ear, the Beatles did that a lot and it pisses me off to no end.

Quote by thundrstruk891
i love it. it helps me feel the music in 3D. take the beatles "Norwegian Wood" for example. the guitar part plays in the left, and the sitar is sort of upper right. gives the music depth.

Yeah, that's a good use of panning, what people don't like is when the entire track is panned heavily to one side, or when a very important focal element (like the vox) is panned hard to one side.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jul 11, 2008,
dude it gives me a headache
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
I actually enjoy how panning is used on tracks with harmonized guitars because when one earphone goes out you can just focus on one side of the harmony. I'm weird like that.
The Gearz:

Schecter Omen 6
B-52 At-100 head + 4x12 cab
Yamaha EG303
Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive
Quote by thundrstruk891

I agree,the end of Led Zepps "Good Times, Bad Times",when it goes from left to right is pretty cool.
Actually, in regards to TS's complaint, I heard that panning was a huge part of Eddie Van Halen's guitar sound. I don't remember exactly what they did but I think it was something like, they put the guitar on one side and all his effects on another side. I'm not sure but I think that could justify the use of heavy panning in that song.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
It can be cool when you're not using headphones.....
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by DiveRightIn63

Agreed.
I hate it.

Quote by MedicreDemon

Damn. You're right.

But i'm not going to carry a stereo around with me everywhere I go.
Quote by Moggan13
Personally, i'd buy her a can of Coke, then as she's drinking it say to her "Whats better than Coca Cola?" She'll go "What?" and you shout "CREAM SODA!" And ejaculate in her can.
Last edited by funyguy1357: 147 times : 3-01-08 at 08:17 PM.
Quote by MedicreDemon

Yeah that's another thing, a lot of this stuff is meant to be played through a hi-fi system with speakers and whatnot, I actually made mono versions of some songs solely for headphone use.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I think it sounds good for some songs. And I've heard a few songs where it sort of shifts from the right to the left (or vice versa) and comes out all together. It makes a really cool effect.
"When I grow up, I wanna be a vampire bat"

i only like panning if there are two guitarists and one is playing through the left and the other through the right.

especially awesome when theyre trading off solos, like in the sentinel by judas priest
I've heard a song by a band called Defacto (Cedric, Omar, Ikey, and Jeremy before they were in TMV) in which the drums are panned to the left o.O
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR

"ur a fag if you don't pronounce the lightning bolt in ac/dc"

touche. who wuzzit?

Quote by lookie here
OMG! smile_man, that was amazing.
Quote by andrid
i really like hte panning in such great heights

QFT
HEEEEEEEEYYYYYYY YOUUUU GUYYYYYYSSSS
I absolutely love crazy panning. It's even better in surround.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by smile_man
I've heard a song by a band called Defacto (Cedric, Omar, Ikey, and Jeremy before they were in TMV) in which the drums are panned to the left o.O

Seriously?
I'm going to have to check that out.
Quote by {DSA_Soldier}
Seriously?
I'm going to have to check that out.

You should, they're a bit hard to find though. It's instrumental dub reggae with crazy sound manipulation. Omar plays bass an Cedric plays the drumz!
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR

"ur a fag if you don't pronounce the lightning bolt in ac/dc"

touche. who wuzzit?

Quote by lookie here
OMG! smile_man, that was amazing.