So I've got a stock Ibanez S470 with the stock INF1 and INF2 PUPS. Goal is to get as close to Satch's tone as possible. Discussed this on another thread and I understand that PUPS are part of the total equation: guitar, amp, etc.

Anyway, as you Satch fiends know, he used the Dimarzio Fred in the bridge and the Dimarzio PAP Pro in the neck for the longest time.

In the past few years he has switched to a Joe in the neck and a Mo Joe in the bridge.

So the question is: which combination should I get?

Does anyone have experience with all of these? What are the pros and cons of each combination? What are the differences?

Thanks in advance!
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT
get joe and mo joe.

there new, thus, better (otherwise they wouldnt exist)

but a guitar players sound has very little to do with pickups, its the amp/everything in between that makes up his sound, INCLUDING his technique.

but the pups will give you his tone, either way, why would you want to sound exactly like satch?? (or anyone..)
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Hale_91
get joe and mo joe.

but a guitar players sound has very little to do with pickups, its the amp/everything in between that makes up his sound, INCLUDING his technique.

but the pups will give you his tone, either way, why would you want to sound exactly like satch?? (or anyone..)
Thanks, but just because they're newer doesn't mean they're better. Look at the quality and reliability of Mercedes Benz over the last several years.....Satch wants to make money like anyone, after all...

I want to sound exactly like Satch because I want to play his songs perfectly. Is that a bad thing?
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT
^ Well that's not going to happen with your current amp. If you really want to change your tone save for a better amp.

Or you can hunt Satriani steal his hands and find a mad scientist to swap them with your own, but I think getting a new amp would be easier.
Quote by Hale_91

An MG's newer than a vintage Plexi but which is better there?

I would probably still go with the Joe/Mo Joe combination though; having seen the man live not long ago at all I can quite safely say that the tone they put out is awesome and good for a wide variety of tones, including all the classic Satch sounds.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Go to the dimarzio website and get the specs of the pick ups, the output on each one is different. They also have sound samples. And i prefer the fred.
You're thinking too hard. Any modern, PAF-style humbucker will work. More important is getting a JSX, or a Satchunator over some very clean 6L6GC powered amp.
What you need to do is abduct him, knock him out, get hand surgery so that you have his hands and he now has yours. Then steal all his gear and run away!

You say you want to learn all his songs perfectly, well you don't need to sound like him to do that. But yea, PAF Joe and mo'joe if you really want the pups.
Quote by tracerbeast
Go to the dimarzio website and get the specs of the pick ups, the output on each one is different. They also have sound samples. And i prefer the fred.
Do you prefer the Fred based on what you hear on the website or from experience?

Thanks.
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT
Quote by El Cumanés
Wow! Thanks for the link! I watched a few of the videos and this guy has Satch's tone NAILED!!

He uses a JSX Mini Colossal and a Digitech RP-80.

Unfortunately, he doesn't answer questions much about his settings, and he's Japanese so I think the language is an issue, too...

Anyway, if he can get that tone out of the JSX Mini and the Digitech, maybe I don't have to change the PUPS after all. However, he does use a JS900 guitar, I need to find out what kind of PUPS those have.
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT
Quote by T!AN
^ The JS900 has a Dimarzio PAF Pro in the neck and a Fred in the bridge.
It sure does! Hmmmm, I think I'm leaning towards that combo, then....
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT
I have played both pups and while the mo joe is hotter, the fred is a little warmer. Just an opinion though.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
You're thinking too hard. Any modern, PAF-style humbucker will work. More important is getting a JSX, or a Satchunator over some very clean 6L6GC powered amp.

+1

most sensible post in the thread.

Buy this before spending any money on pickups.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Joe-Satriani-Satchurator-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-?sku=482295
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
An MG's newer than a vintage Plexi but which is better there?

agreed.

i haven't tried the mo joe or paf joe, so i can't help. i just wanted to point out that "it's new so it's better" was dodgy logic.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Highwaytohell
How many times
Must I say

THOSE PICKUPS WILL GET YOU NOWHERE WITHOUT A GOOD AMP!

+1.

There will be NO sound difference with new pickups until you get a new amp.
The new pickups will [generally] sound as same as the old ones.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I'm hearing a lot of comments about a new amp.

That guy in the videos is doing wonders with a Digitech RP-80 and a JSX Mini Colossal.

So is it your contention that the JSX is responsible for more of the tone than the Digitech?
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT
Quote by Hawaiiguy
I'm hearing a lot of comments about a new amp.

That guy in the videos is doing wonders with a Digitech RP-80 and a JSX Mini Colossal.

So is it your contention that the JSX is responsible for more of the tone than the Digitech?

Well the JSX being a small version of Satch's signaute JSX stack you would expect it to have his tone in spades; I think the Digitech is probably being used for things like delays, reverb and that kind of thing rather than any gain or anything.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
new = better if there signature!

and comparing a plexi to an MG is comparing gold with crap.

satch got new pups made for him that he uses, thus, there more satchy.

thus better if you want to sound like satch.

if he made them and didnt use them.. thats a completely different corridor.
*Enter Sig Here*
that doesn't make sense. what if you like satch's older tone?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well, the difference between the pups..

Mo'joe = hotter than FRED, so roll off a bit.

Paf Joe = less hotter, more chunky than Paf Pro.

its up to hawaiiguy as to what he wants, but i think that getting the newer ones will give him more versatility.
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Dave_Mc
that doesn't make sense. what if you like satch's older tone?
This is what has me worried, Dave, that if I go with the Joe and Mo Joe I won't be able to get as close to Satch's older tone as I would with the Fred and the PAF Pro.
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT
then get the older ones.. its up to you..

either way, there prob similar designs, and you will generally sound the same unless you get a great amp. so thats probable an ideal place to start. or the same pedals as satch etc.
*Enter Sig Here*
yeah, i mean even the fred is a relatively new pickup, i think. EDIT: nope, i'm wrong.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?