I'm tired of all the people telling me to get a new amp or head, i don't want to have to get another piece of equipment that is that large and expensive. i just want tone to kill the pope from my house in the U.S.
and i love the dual rectifier just like everyone, but i DON'T want a $1700 distortion pedal, or some crazy pedal board like a pod, i want good but rather cheap, a pod is too much.

here are some examples of the tone i want.

Any trivium, metallica, or killswitch engage
the sound on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYwesSborlM
and pretty much like a dual rectifier

also this is going through my ibanezes with dimarzio x2n bridges
into my marshall valvestate, and i've been really dissapointed with my boss mt-2 recently, so if you know of any killer stompboxes, feel free to let me know... by the way i'm wanting pretty much only stompbox suggestions
thanks
boss ds1 or the hd for really hard distortion. i have them both and are great.
音乐是生活
Music is Life

Ibanez RG2550Z, Edwards Jimmy Page LP Relic Custom, 06 Fender Clapton SS, Line6 Spider III 112, Peavey Classic 30, Boss HD-1, Boss Green Label Chorus, Boss SD1 Overdrive, MXR Fuzz, Blues Breaker
well you actually do need an amp to get that sound.
but try a metal muff i guess.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
the big muff pi and also look into the boss ds1 and the Ibanez ts9 tubescreamer is really good too.
My Gear:
Fender Custom Shop Time Machine 1956 relic
plus accessories
Your position and your relationship with music has to be one from the inside. - John Frusciante
and yes, my avatar is weezy, what?
Metal muff FTW!
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

While I firmly believe the best distortion pedal is a good amp, the metal muff gets a lot of praise on here so you may want to check it out.

PS: Some of those tones in that youtube video made me literally cringe...
No pedal's going to sound great through that amp. If it were me, I'd sell it and pick up some kind of high- gain tube combo.

Barring that happening, a Metal Muff would probably be the best option. I've never had the pleasure of trying one, but I've heard lovely things about the ProCo Rat, as well.

EDIT: If you want to sound like the guy in that video, I'd run a rig similar to this:

Guitar---> Boss Metal Zone----> Digitech Death Metal -----> Line 6 Spider (Insane channel)

Gain at 10 on all of them.
Last edited by hrdcorelaxplaya at Jul 11, 2008,
I actually don't like the Boss pedals I've use, I like the Line-6 UberMetal much more.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
I've heard good things about the Metal Muff pedal. Also look at blackstar pedals.
thanks, i had been looking at that pedal, and had been debating on whether to get it, my real question, is how much straight up bone crunching tone can that put out on my amp?
i love my line 6 spider amp 112 for the crunch, metal and insane channels but it is still nice to have the foot petal to ingauge. and the line 6 petal board for the spiders are to much money. hey try a pod?
音乐是生活
Music is Life

Ibanez RG2550Z, Edwards Jimmy Page LP Relic Custom, 06 Fender Clapton SS, Line6 Spider III 112, Peavey Classic 30, Boss HD-1, Boss Green Label Chorus, Boss SD1 Overdrive, MXR Fuzz, Blues Breaker
metal muff. that simple
Quote by jjennings216
i'd go gay for hendrix 128 he's fricken hillarious.

Quote by sadistic_monkey
To me, Jonas Brothers sound identical to Dragonforce. So I'm not sure what you've just proved.
well i have to say thanks, with this much support, i can't really argue,

now for craziness....
check this mutha out, you wish you were him...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDKbEDTdbZI
just thanks
and to those who say i should get a new amp, i plan on it, but not for like at least 2 years, i got no cashola. but if you have any suggestions on amps for heavy, thrash, death, and just straight up metal, i'm open to them...
yet again thank you
Crank your amp and boost it with a distortion that's not too much coloring your sound. I use a sustainer & distortion II from maxon plugged into my hot rod with the drive on 12, I use the 'more drive' alone for my riffing, and I put it back on normal drive plus the pedal (the pedal alone on a clean is lacking the low-end growl that tubes give). Try that out if you've got a nice riffing drive on your amp.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Some things to try:

Uber Metal
Metal Muff
Protone BodyRot 2
Krank Distortus Maximus
Box of Metal
Big Muff is more fuzz to me.

I'd go more towards the Metal Muff, Blood Drive, or Jekyll & Hyde.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
i used to own a metal muff and for the money its very good. But if your prepared to spend more, a Mesa/boogie V-twin would be ideal. Look for a second hand one...
no way around this man like it or not. You want those kinda tones you're gonna need a new amp.
I wouldnt really want some of those tones in that vid :S

anywho :P If your disapointed with your Boss mt2, I would go for the Krank distortus maximus probably (what I'm thinking as getting). Or a metal muff as its got rave reviews by fellow UG'ers
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Last edited by Shredx at Jul 14, 2008,
Gonna have to recommend the AMT DT-2. Lots of different sounds and is totally worth the $145.

Clips and ordering info. I ordered mine from this site, so it's safe.
http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new_shop.cgi?config=&uid=RVwq4wAA1216060862&command=link--amtd
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by T!AN
While I firmly believe the best distortion pedal is a good amp, the metal muff gets a lot of praise on here so you may want to check it out.

PS: Some of those tones in that youtube video made me literally cringe...

What he said.

Especially the PS part.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.