Ok, so I am incredibly indecisive about what I want to buy for a new amp. I have pretty much..$1450 right now after I sold my Powerball and I want to spend as little as possible so I can put away $600 or so of the money from the PB. Im looking to get something maybe not boutique, because I dont know how much I really want to spend. Id like to spend $800 for something used.

Im going to be playing stuff like Mogwai, Russian Circles, Converge, etc. I want a really grimy distortion, a kind of marshall grind so I've been looking into them a bit...Mainly my choices are: a JCM 800/900, Ampeg V4, Marshall JMP if I'm lucky, Mesas, etc. Any specific recommendations?

Also, how much does it cost to repair a volume knob? There is a cheap mark iv thats missing a volume knob.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
well a volume knob should not me much at all 10-15 dollars tops

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Yeah thats what I figured. Im emailing him to find out the severity of it right now
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
yeah...almost sludgy kinda...like new QOTSA+more brutality.
Quote by tarlkea
I'm not sure if it is actual "sludge", but High On Fire use a Laney GH100L and a Soldano..
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Soldanos sound kind of grimy to me, looser, more warm distortion... Thats why I personally dislike them, but for you that may get you the sound you're looking for...
respect for awesome taste in music!

i'm actually in the process of looking for an amp as well. try and find some old traynor combos, they're sort of marshall-y sounding. you should try checking out a whole bunch of pawn shops to see if they've got anything obscure (vintage musicman amps can sometimes be found).

the amp i'm currently trying to hunt down is a Sunn Model T Reissue, mike from Russian Circles uses one. if you find one of those, take it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Thanks bro!

Yeah, Im gonna try to look around for some random amp and just try it out. The cleans on an Ampeg V4 are really really nice and Im thinking of trying to find one and trying it out for myself.

The Sunns are good too...really sludgy, but expensive. Mike has like 4 of them haha
Quote by tarlkea
Quote by neptune1988
quick question.

what does boutique mean?

and what determines if its boutique or not?

botique products are usually high-end, top quality, mostly handmade items that are for the most part more expensive than standard production counterparts. Botique amps are usually handwired/handmade high quality sounding amps...
another thing came to mind actually.
i was actually suggested a Crate V-33 head (..keep reading)
apparently, the clean channel is remarkably alike to a VoxAC30, and the dirty channel sounds like a darker, warmer JCM800 with more gain available.
apparently it can do EITS really well (but has ****ty built in reverb, but you probably already have a decent pedal for that anyway).

again, those aren't my words. but, i think that if an amp that potentially posesses such capabilities (which also retails at 350$) actually does exist, it is definately worth checking out. something to keep in mind i guess.
i'm going to check one out fairly soon, if you want i can review it for you.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
I think a traynor ycv50 blue with an OD might have enough gain for what you want and will definitely have the marshall crunchiness you're looking for.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
I think a traynor ycv50 blue with an OD might have enough gain for what you want and will definitely have the marshall crunchiness you're looking for.

With his budget, he could maybe do better (I'm not sure though, never heard of those bands tbh).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Im actually considering just picking up this VHT Pittbull 50/cl for $1100, dead mint. Ill be running it through my friends old blue voodoo to save cash on a cab.
Quote by tarlkea
why did you sell the powerball?
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Its tone was too linear and icy for me.
Quote by tarlkea