Basically, I'm jumping on the "I want to spend a bunch of money so i can trick out a guitar, when i could buy a decent one for $1k or less" bandwagon.

So... before I figure out how im going to actually get it, i wanna see what other people think.

There's a mock-up of it attached i made in photoshop. Not everything's the same in the picture though as what i want. AND it will definitely have a custom paint job.

Specs:
Neck-Thru-Body
25.5" scale length
Body: Mahogany w/ flamed maple top
Headstock: Mahogany w/ flamed maple top
Neck: 5pc Mahogany/maple (Schecter neck specification, I like the feel of their necks)
Fretboard: Ebony
Frets: 24 Jumbo
Bridge: Ibanez Zero Resistance 2 (ZR-II) Tremolo
Tuners: 6pc Sperzel Trimlock with "D Thing"
Nut: Low Friction Earvana
Hardware: Black Chrome
Pickup Covers: Black Chrome

Pickups: H/S/H
Neck: Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59
Middle: Dimarzio Virtual Solo DP420
Bridge: Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB

Inlays:
Fretboard: Tribal
Fret/Neck Side: Tribal arrow at 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, 17, 19

Electronics:
500K Pots
Master Volume
Master Tone (Push/Pull for alt pickup select)
5-Way Pickup Selector: / = Parallel, + = Series
Mode 1: Tone Down
1 Neck
2 Neck / Middle
3 Middle
4 Middle / Bridge
5 Bridge

Mode 2: Tone Up
1 Neck + Middle + Bridge
2 Neck + Middle
3 Neck / Middle + Bridge
4 Middle + Bridge
5 Neck / Middle / Bridge

3-Way Switch for Bridge Coil Selector
1 Towards Bridge, Bridge coil
2 Middle, Both coils/Normal Humbucker
3 Towards Neck, Neck Coil

3-Way Switch for Neck Coil Selector
1 Towards Bridge, Bridge coil
2 Middle, Both coils/Normal Humbucker
3 Towards Neck, Neck Coil

I might add a 20db booster to the guitar. Still undecided.
If i do...
Power:
9 volt battery(s) when unplugged
9 volt DC Power jack (turns off batteries when plugged in)
Attachments:
custom.jpg
Should be great to watch. I'm gonna subscribe to this thread. By the way this is the first time i have used the subscribe button.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

DUDE the guitar is sick !!! is that what u are going to build or its kind of the base for the one u´re doing
??
Quote by GrunhoTs
DUDE the guitar is sick !!! is that what u are going to build or its kind of the base for the one u´re doing
??

The picture is what i want to make. Except, a better paint job. The idea for the guitar shape was a mix between an ESP F series guitar and an ibanez RG (sorta) that i originally drew out on a piece of napkin.

The things in the picture that will be different are: the finish, the tremolo, that's a floyd rose in the picture not the Ibanez ZR. and there wont be a locking nut. but other than those small things, that's what i hope it to turn out to be.

Actually finding time to work on this beast is another story haha...
cool guitar
MY GEAR
Gibson:SG special faded
Behringer:???
Behringer:V-tone GM108
Laney:TF400
Drums:Trax
Dunlop:Crybaby
^hes got locking tuners. i heard u could replace the nut with 'em but idk....

the plan looks good, cant wait for the build.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Wait, so are you building it? Or are modding a guitar that you already have?
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
id say building since he listed body and neck specs...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
^hes got locking tuners. i heard u could replace the nut with 'em but idk....

the plan looks good, cant wait for the build.

Hmm.. I'm pretty sure that's not true. It puts a hell of a lot of stress on the headstock during crazy trem stuff, which would be taken by the neck, if a locking nut was installed.
yeah i didnt think it was a great idea either, but supposedly its possible....but im not gonna be the one to snap the headstock on a potentially really expensive guitar....
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
To the people asking if im building it or modifying a guitar, the guitar does not exist. It's my own design and im going to try to build it from scratch. I dont have a lot of time very often though. So if after a while i might have to come up with a plan b to create it, but we'll see how things go.

And i was kinda worried about the headstock. that was the thing i was wondering if someone would comment on. Earvana is releasing a locking nut soon and i e-mailed them asking about it. Haven't heard back yet though. But if i use a locking nut then wouldn't switching between drop d and e suck even if i had the Sperzel "D thing"? The Locking tuners and the Ibanez ZR would keep the other strings pretty well tuned, but i would still have to unlock the nut to flick the switch on the "dthing". and that would suck to do if im playing live. it is better than breaking a headstock on a neck-thru however.
Quote by leon0008
To the people asking if im building it or modifying a guitar, the guitar does not exist. It's my own design and im going to try to build it from scratch. I dont have a lot of time very often though. So if after a while i might have to come up with a plan b to create it, but we'll see how things go.

And i was kinda worried about the headstock. that was the thing i was wondering if someone would comment on. Earvana is releasing a locking nut soon and i e-mailed them asking about it. Haven't heard back yet though. But if i use a locking nut then wouldn't switching between drop d and e suck even if i had the Sperzel "D thing"? The Locking tuners and the Ibanez ZR would keep the other strings pretty well tuned, but i would still have to unlock the nut to flick the switch on the "dthing". and that would suck to do if im playing live. it is better than breaking a headstock on a neck-thru however.

Get an EVH D-Tuna.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/EVH-DTuna-Drop-D-Tuning-System?sku=361390
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by SupremeACL

That's more for a floyd rose isn't it? and if i pull up on the trem hard wont that get caught on the guitar's body?

and The ZR isn't a floating bridge for all the other people saying you have to have a locking nut with floating bridges. it also has a built in trem setter. I am getting a locking nut for it so i dont risk snapping the headstock though.
Last edited by leon0008 at Jul 13, 2008,