Hey guys, I just got a Toshiba 160GB external drive to put all my programs on, it's really nice, I can bring it to any computer with an internet connection and play WoW without installing it on that pc.

Question though, will leaving it plugged in for long periods of time using a program on it ruin the life of it at all? Thanks & Godbless.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Does it shut off with your computer? It can overheat.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
I'm not sure, but I don't leave my hard drive on for long periods of time because I'm afraid they could over heat. Then again, I built mine and they don't have a fan in them and they are 1TB so the extra size makes me worry that they could over heat more easily. I would never leave them on while I'm out of the house and I think that's a wise thing to do.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Quote by MedicreDemon
Does it shut off with your computer? It can overheat.

I'll just unplug it when I shut it off. But like can I leave it on while I play WoW or use other programs like Adobe Audition or Guitar Pro I have on it? I have all them on it so I don't have to install these programs to my or other computers to use them.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Quote by tr3nt
I'll just unplug it when I shut it off. But like can I leave it on while I play WoW or use other programs like Adobe Audition or Guitar Pro I have on it? I have all them on it so I don't have to install these programs to my or other computers to use them.

Well mine shuts off with the computer which is on for like 20 hours a day, It's 320 gig and I've had no problems, thought you might have a problem runnign games cause your computer needs to access the file which is on the hardrive. You might lag a bit.
Leave it on for a few hours and put your hand on it. if it's not excessively hot you should be fine.

Remember the one in your computer is on whenever the computer is on, and a whole lot of the cheap dell/gateway/emachines/etc ones have no fan blowing on the HDDs and they usually run for a good long time.
Quote by MedicreDemon
Well mine shuts off with the computer which is on for like 20 hours a day, It's 320 gig and I've had no problems, thought you might have a problem runnign games cause your computer needs to access the file which is on the hardrive. You might lag a bit.

Alright thats all I needed, thanks a lot !

quick question; I put all my music on my drive before I dumped my PC. I got it all on my itunes but now when I unplug my drive it says it cannot find the file when I try to play it. How do I get it to save on my computer ?

I put it all in a folder on my desktop and it still says it can't find it. I'd have to manually play each song in the folder to do it is there another way?

Quote by tr3nt
quick question; I put all my music on my drive before I dumped my PC. I got it all on my itunes but now when I unplug my drive it says it cannot find the file when I try to play it. How do I get it to save on my computer ?

I put it all in a folder on my desktop and it still says it can't find it. I'd have to manually play each song in the folder to do it is there another way?

'

You changed the file location and itunes has it directed to the original location. You need to remove all songs from itunes and reload them from the location (wtf firefox made this say lactation for some reason) they are at now. (I had to do the same thing btw) with about 3000 songs.

Oh you can just select all songs and drag it into itunes.
Isn't a hard drive basically just a giant flash drive? Why would it overheat?
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Last edited by Gyroscope at Jul 12, 2008,
Quote by Gyroscope
Isn't a harddrive basically just a giant flash drive? Why would it overheat?

Cause it's alot bigger and has more files........
Quote by MedicreDemon
Cause it's alot bigger and has more files........

Well my external isn't even warm.
Quote by Gyroscope
Well my external isn't even warm.

My gets warm if I'm accessing it a lot. Seeing as when I open it itunes it loads 8500 songs from it. I'm accessing it a lot.
Usually such hardware would abort and shut down if it ever were going to overheat. Not sure about your model though, could be oddball. Also, keep in mind that every few months you should take the casing off and blow out all the dust with some canned air. Do it to your desktop too if you usually don't. That's one of the biggest reasons why computers and hard drives over heat. The dust insulates all the heat.
D:
Signature.
Quote by Gyroscope
Isn't a hard drive basically just a giant flash drive? Why would it overheat?

Flash drives and a hard drives are miles apart in their technology and working. A flash drive has no moving parts, there is no real cause for it to overheat. Data in a flash drive is stored electronically, whereas a hard drive is full of moving parts - in which case, the information is stored magnetically.

Moving parts = More chances of mechanical failure = More chances of overheating

...and this comes from an electronics engineer.
Quote by rocker_01
...and this comes from an electronics engineer.

It's a good thing you mentioned that because I wasn't inclined to believe you at first.
Quote by Gyroscope
It's a good thing you mentioned that because I wasn't inclined to believe you at first.

Relax his just giving proof he knows what he's talking about.
Quote by MedicreDemon
Relax his just giving proof he knows what he's talking about.

Can you PM me with instructions on how to do the music thing ? If you have time of course, I didn't really understand cause I did move them all into iTunes, but when I unplugged my drive I couldn't listen to anything without having it plugged in.

It's probably a better idea to keep all your program files on your internal harddrive, and keep documents and music on the external one. If it's constantly being accessed, and it's being used for long periods of time, then it could burn out.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by tr3nt
Hey guys, I just got a Toshiba 160GB external drive to put all my programs on, it's really nice, I can bring it to any computer with an internet connection and play WoW without installing it on that pc.

Question though, will leaving it plugged in for long periods of time using a program on it ruin the life of it at all? Thanks & Godbless.

same as any other hard drive.

they normally last about 5 years

EDIT: wow, so many noobs LOL
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way