How's it going UG? I'm in a little bit of a dilemma. I've been playing/teaching myself guitar for about a year and a half now, after getting a cheap Takamine acoustic for Christmas. Since I just got a raise I decided I'd treat myself to a "finally a senior in high school" present. To avoid gumming this post up too bad, I'll list what I'd like.

1. I have a budget of about $550 total. This includes guitar, amp, and cables. I'd prefer to spend a maximum of $300-325 on the guitar, and up to $200 on the amp.

2. I'm a left handed guitarist, which limits my choices. It sucks, I know.

3. I'm into playing stuff like rock, metal, and hardcore. (Metallica, AILD, System of a Down, Killswitch Engage, Devildriver, etc) I'd like a guitar and amp that sound similar to those types of bands, and a cleaner tone isn't as important as distortion.

4. Buying used isn't a huge concern for me, as long as the guitar and/or amp are in nice condition with no problems whatsoever. (The last thing I want is to save 50 bucks, only to have to send something in to get it repaired for 100.)

5. Looks aren't a huge concern either, but I'm into the Ibanez/Les Paul shape and black/darker colored guitars. Don't really care for red.

6. I live in the middle of Nebraska, and there are very few left handed guitars let alone music shops around where I live. So "trying out guitars until I find what I like" is a bit of a problem.

If I can think of any other requirements I'll post them. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Last edited by Cheesyfli at Jul 12, 2008,
Quote by MOMOJUP

He could get a better amp than that, to be honest.

You could maybe cut down on the guitar price and use more for the amp. Amps provide 60-80% of your tone, so maybe get a Blackheart . For the guitar, I dunno, try some out.

Hope it helps.

EDIT: Okay, you can't try some out...

MEGAEDIT:How 'bout this guitar. I don't know much about them, but they seem good... Looks can be deciving though!

EDITZAGAINS!: I can't stop looking at guitars now! Here's an LP, if your're interested..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-100-LeftHanded-Electric-Guitar?sku=518664
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Jul 12, 2008,
Red planet guitars are pretty good; played a couple of their left hander models and they're great for the price. Highly recommended.

Amp-wise, I have no idea... Roland cubes maybe? Don't really like the aesthetic design on them though; if you've got the amp on a shelf or similar it's pretty inconvenient to adjust the dials.
Thanks for the input guys. I'm liking the looks of the Blackheart amp, Macker. I was actually also looking at those 2 guitars hehe. I dunno about the Ibanez, it seems to be getting some mixed reviews. As for the Red Planet guitars, most of them seem out of my price range.
Last edited by Cheesyfli at Jul 12, 2008,