Page 1 of 3
Ehhh...

I'd have to try it out, as it's SS, but hey you might find a gem of an SS...

Which I doubt.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Ehhh...

I'd have to try it out, as it's SS, but hey you might find a gem of an SS...

Which I doubt.

SS?
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Quote by TheBodomBullet
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Raven-RG200-200W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104792700-i1399496.gc

Was looking into a VK 212 but this amp seems as good and for a better price.

Opinions?

A huge difference is that the VK is tube. In most cases Tube>Solid State.
If you're playing metal though(which I'm guessing you are from your username) the solid state might fair better. It'll be tighter at high volumes and most likely have more gain.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Quote by TheBodomBullet
SS?

Solid State, as the guy above said, generally Tube>SS.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by TheBodomBullet
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Raven-RG200-200W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104792700-i1399496.gc

Was looking into a VK 212 but this amp seems as good and for a better price.

Opinions?

There's a reason these amps are cheap over the internet...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I don't see why you think that amp is so great... Just looks like another oversized SS practice amp to me...
Quote by Checker
A huge difference is that the VK is tube. In most cases Tube>Solid State.
If you're playing metal though(which I'm guessing you are from your username) the solid state might fair better. It'll be tighter at high volumes and most likely have more gain.

Favorite bands:A7x,Children of Bodom, In Flames, Pantera and mostly all classics like Ozzy, ect.

More metalcorish with some metal. So if a solid state would do better than what genre does a tube amp support?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by T!AN
I don't see why you think that amp is so great... Just looks like another oversized SS practice amp to me...

Well I'm looking for a nice upgrade from my terrible amp I have right now and I'm working a summer job pretty soon to save up for another guitar as well.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Favorite bands:A7x,Children of Bodom, In Flames, Pantera and mostly all classics like Ozzy, ect.

More metalcorish with some metal. So if a solid state would do better than what genre does a tube amp support?

If you have a lot of cash, a tube will do metal better. High gain tube amps tend to cost a lot though.

Metal uses mostly preamp distortion which is why you might prefer solid state.

Tube amps can be pushed to get power amp distortion. This is the fatter, syrupy sound heard in blues and rock and such

On a budget, solid stater might be a better idea for metal. If you have money though, tube will do everything better.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Metalcorish with some Metal.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by TheBodomBullet

Tube amps just sound better. More organic. When they get loud they overdrive better (when you crank volume). When you crank a Solid states volume, it sounds harsh and crappy. They also amplify more harmonic frequencies to make them sound louder. They do not support any specific genre. In fact, in any genre of guitar music, you will most likely always find the guitarists using tube amps. Solid states usually sound best in a jazz environment for clean headroom (JC-120) but the ones which emulate the heavy metal tones usually sound like bees flying in a tin can with fireworks.

If you like Heavy Metal and want a good tone, don't buy into that moddeling solid state crap. Its sterile sounding and wont get you a great tone.... But for what you are playing, it will be tough to get a good tone out of a solid state amplifier. What did you say your budget was again?
Quote by Checker
If you have a lot of cash, a tube will do metal better. High gain tube amps tend to cost a lot though.

Metal uses mostly preamp distortion which is why you might prefer solid state.

Tube amps can be pushed to get power amp distortion. This is the fatter, syrupy sound heard in blues and rock and such

On a budget, solid stater might be a better idea for metal. If you have money though, tube will do everything better.

I doubt I'll be able to go over 400 if I'm saving 1000 for a new good guitar.

My friend actually showed me this amp because this is the one he was planning on getting. Said that it blew the both Peavey Valvekings out of the water.

Trying to upgrade lol.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by Highwaytohell
Tube amps just sound better. More organic. When they get loud they overdrive better (when you crank volume). When you crank a Solid states volume, it sounds harsh and crappy. They also amplify more harmonic frequencies to make them sound louder. They do not support any specific genre. In fact, in any genre of guitar music, you will most likely always find the guitarists using tube amps. Solid states usually sound best in a jazz environment for clean headroom (JC-120) but the ones which emulate the heavy metal tones usually sound like bees flying in a tin can with fireworks.

If you like Heavy Metal and want a good tone, don't buy into that moddeling solid state crap. Its sterile sounding and wont get you a great tone.... But for what you are playing, it will be tough to get a good tone out of a solid state amplifier. What did you say your budget was again?

About 400-500$

I'm saving money until end of september so we'll see how much I have by then though.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
I doubt I'll be able to go over 400 if I'm saving 1000 for a new good guitar.

My friend actually showed me this amp because this is the one he was planning on getting. Said that it blew the both Peavey Valvekings out of the water.

Trying to upgrade lol.

Can you buy used?
Will you be gigging?
Bedroom practice?

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Quote by Checker
Can you buy used?
Will you be gigging?
Bedroom practice?

Most I'll be doing is probably performances in the highschool gymnasium for now.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
if you want solid state metal amps, look at randalls. the ravens are alright for the price but are generally clunky and a pain to use (when you spend 4 hours+ at a guitar center, you tend to try out the stupidest looking things you can find for a laugh). randalls will run more, but will also be that much better.

a side note: a bunch of metal guitarists are switching over to solid state as the modeling technology gets more intricate and saavy (see michael amott and his new randall sig)
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Quote by bite_the_bullet
if you want solid state metal amps, look at randalls. the ravens are alright for the price but are generally clunky and a pain to use (when you spend 4 hours+ at a guitar center, you tend to try out the stupidest looking things you can find for a laugh). randalls will run more, but will also be that much better.

a side note: a bunch of metal guitarists are switching over to solid state as the modeling technology gets more intricate and saavy (see michael amott and his new randall sig)

Any specific suggestions?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Most I'll be doing is probably performances in the highschool gymnasium for now.

Spend more on the Amp than the guitar

TRUST ME the amp is way more of the tone than the guitar.

If you did that would you be willing to spend say 1000 on the amp and 400 on the guitar?
Quote by Highwaytohell

TRUST ME the amp is way more of the tone than the guitar.

If you did that would you be willing to spend say 900 on the amp?

Man I really want this guitar. I really don't want to name it for fear of getting severely flamed but I really want the guitar. My parents are willing to cover 400 of w/e my needs are. The rest is up for me to come up with.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Quote by bite_the_bullet

So what are some of the pros and cons of that randall and the raven when compared to one another?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Man I really want this guitar. I really don't want to name it for fear of getting severely flamed but I really want the guitar. My parents are willing to cover 400 of w/e my needs are. The rest is up for me to come up with.

You'll be happier in the long run if you go Amp>Guitar, because:

1. it's a sig guitar (you may grow out of it)
2. a cheaper guitar with a pickup change will offer the same exact tone
3. most of the tone comes from the amp, not the guitar

EDIT: haven't tried the Raven, but as I said, there's a reason their amps are cheap and everyone else's isn't.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by TheBodomBullet

Well for what you want to play, unless you slim down and decide that you want to have awesome tone for the cost of the guitar that will not have as awesome tone you cant do much. 400 is enough to get maybe a valveking, but that won't get you near the tone you're after. you'll have to look into peavey 5150s... Kranks for that type of music maybe... Possible an Engl Thunder combo. BUT if you're so set on your guitar which may look good onstage, it'll sound bad comin from a bad amp. AMP= 70 PERCENT of the tone.
Quote by aznrockerdude
You'll be happier in the long run if you go Amp>Guitar, because:

1. it's a sig guitar (you may grow out of it)
2. a cheaper guitar with a pickup change will offer the same exact tone
3. most of the tone comes from the amp, not the guitar

You son of a bitch you used the search function....lol jk.

Like I said I'm set on it. For better or for worse.

But I understand where your coming from.

Since I'm still in the"planning stages" (looking for a job 2morrow so I don't know exactly how much I'll be getting paid) lets say I up my amp price range to about 500-600. Just hypothetically.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
the randall has a reputation of being a solid company, and solid amps. as well as sounding better overall.

the raven is cheap, but the problem with cheap is it usually means skimping on quality both in tone and in craft/workmanship.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Quote by Highwaytohell
Well for what you want to play, unless you slim down and decide that you want to have awesome tone for the cost of the guitar that will not have as awesome tone you cant do much. 400 is enough to get maybe a valveking, but that won't get you near the tone you're after. you'll have to look into peavey 5150s... Kranks for that type of music maybe... Possible an Engl Thunder combo. BUT if you're so set on your guitar which may look good onstage, it'll sound bad comin from a bad amp. AMP= 70 PERCENT of the tone.

What kind of krank would you reccomend?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
What kind of krank would you reccomend?

Well I personally HATE kranks becuase they are extremely muddy and have no tight bottom (IMHO) but nothing that would fit into your budget... I dont actually reccomend them, just a suggestion- You'd have to try it yourself to see if the tone works for you.
the kinds of krank that cost upwards of two grand... there's only two different heads really by krank (i refuse to acknowledge the chadwick as a krank head, period).
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Well what in the priceranger of 400-possible 600 could get me something closest to the sound I'm looking for?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
The only Krank in your price range is a tube recording amp.
Look for a used Peavey 5150 or XXX. If you HAVE to go new, I'd look for a B-52 AT series or a Bugera.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by aznrockerdude
The only Krank in your price range is a tube recording amp.
Look for a used Peavey 5150 or XXX. If you HAVE to go new, I'd look for a B-52 AT series or a Bugera.

How much would a used 5150 go for and where would you reccomend i get it? (like online or at a store because I know some online retailers are iffy)
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
to highwaytohell:

Kranks can indeed have tight bottom end, they just rely more on the cabs they are paired with (Marshall 1960av's go exceedingly well with the Krankenstein+) and a tube change to JJ 6L6's from my experience. but they are heavily overpriced and honestly not worth it. ENGL's give you much more amp for the same or just slightly higher of a price.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
btw just checked and the 5150 isn't showing up on guitarcenter.com or musician's friend?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
5150s aren't made new anymore since EVH left peavey... so that'd have to be a used acquisition, if you can find one for much less than 800 or 900.

but the suggestion of bugera and b-52 AT series is a good one!
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Quote by TheBodomBullet
btw just checked and the 5150 isn't showing up on guitarcenter.com or musician's friend?

Have to go with eBay or craigslist to get one nowadays. They're the same as the 6505 which is sold at MF and GC, but much cheaper.
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Betcha can't beat this deal
betcha i can. hand me a stick.

srsly, this is one you will want to research carefully.
who has even heard of Raven amplifiers?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Guitar Center (mine anyway) has a whole display of them (Ravens). Kinda made me sick actually.

If your overall budget is closer to $1500 - $1600 you can just do so much better. If you live in the US go to craigslist.com for your area and search on guitar amps. I've seen used 5150s for $450.

PS. I realize you are set on a certain guitar, whatever that is, but I like the 50 to 50% split better then an expensive guitar and a Raven or any SS amp outside of the Randall mentioned. And if you are going to be playing in HS gyms then I just can't imagine cranking a SS amp in that kind of environment playing loud to keep up with a drummer.

just my two cents
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 12, 2008,
Quote by Highwaytohell

TRUST ME, spend say 1000 on the amp and 400 on the guitar.

This is true.

I think the VK 50 watt 112 beats that deal like a trailer park redneck on "cops". And I'm not a huge VK fan, their ok - put the flame throwers away people.

Look used, save about 40-50% off the new price. Getting a "signature" guitar for $1000 is usually a bad idea on it's own. Look for that used as well. But spend 2/3 of your budget on the amp and thank us all later.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Page 1 of 3