So i am a 15 year old who jams jams in his room. i dont play gigs and all that, i just like playing music. I was wondering if Spider 3's are bad or if everyone dislikes them because they are rip-offs. I mean i KNOW that they aren't tube amps in the least. I know they dont sound like tube amps. I just want an amp with good through amp distortion that i can do alot with! And when i go up to GC i always use one and they get that nice chug i like. Will it really be an abomination to get one to jam out to songs and ****?

EDIT: to everyone telling me to get rid of my spider 3, i dont have one. i have a squier 10 watt and a LINE 6 uber metal pedal! i want to get the tone i have now (which i enjoy) louder. and then have other options to play around with!

i really like the chromatic tuner too.
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
Last edited by Dimefan69 at Jul 12, 2008,
they are ok for practice, but also look at the roland cube and Vox AD series.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
they aint terrible practice amps. You could just get a roland cube for a simaliar price for what you are doing, and it would sound better.
Persoanlly, I think spiders are fine as practice amps. It's the larger ones that are the issue.

You could better tone out of another amp, but if you're happy with what you got, enjoy it.
IMO for practice they aren't bad, the Cubes are better and are on the same price range, but if you already own one it's not worth the hassle of selling one to buy a Cube. For gigging though, you may want to look into tube amps.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
a lot of people complain about the spiders on UG for some reason, i know a couple people with them and i think they're pretty sweet amps. theres so much **** you can do with them. i'd have to buy the footswitch with it if i ever ended up getting one though (amp button distortion annoys the hell out of me) but i'd say go for it man. (y)

PS. i dont see why everyone supports the roland cubes, they sound like s**t as soon as you use the dist. channels
Yes, yes it would be an abomination.

I believe a crate would be better than a line 6 spider, and I despise crate with most of my being.
Honestly, you "like" the sound now because you probably haven't been playing long enough to build up a good ear, but you will pretty soon and then it will hit you: "I just wasted my money on this?!?!"

This is coming from personal experience. It happened to my brother, and it happened to me with crate. We wanted "nice amps" and these cheap "nice amps" were big and loud and had all sorts of lights and buttons. So we got them..... and they sucked.

I'm not sure on your type of music but try a smaller inexpensive Vox or Peavy. They may not have 120 watts, but 30-60 should be good for most purposes.

good luck

EDIT: clarification, my brother bought a spider II back in the day and I bought a crate.

also, a Roland Cube would be amazing for your situation. I second the Cube if not the Vox.

As was stated, if you own the spider for practice that is perfectly fine, but if you are specifically looking to upgrade to a spider, instead go for a cube.
Quote by happytimeharry
ig·no·rant

1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

also see: elitist asshat
Last edited by atc228 at Jul 12, 2008,
They are actually okay practice/bedroom amps, what with all the settings. It can definitely chug for metal. It's just that the ones over 30 watts or so are unnecessary, and definitely not for band/live situations. A lot of people on here just jump the bandwagon and bash them no matter what.

But yeah anyways, the 15 or 30 watt Spider would be good for bedroom practice. Though the 15 might be more practical, because you really don't need the 30 and the extra money would be a waste.
i think line 6 amps sound great they sound better than alot of other amps to me and i think it would make a perfect practice amp but thats just my opinion.
its not bad at all for what you'd be using it for, but id recommend like a vox or cube.
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
you have to realize that Guitar Center has way different acoustics than your bedroom
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
I recommend the Raven 20 watt amp

its only $100 USD at guitar center
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Another clarification for my older post:
My experience with line 6 spider amps are solely with the higher wattage ones. I can firmly state that they are terrible amps. However, having no experience with lower wattage (15-30) spiders, I am not sure if my statement holds true.

What you might want to do is go down to GC, have the guys line up the different amps in a row, and play from one to the other for at least 15 minutes each, and just buy the one you think best. Because whether or not I think it sounds good is just my opinion.

Quote by happytimeharry
ig·no·rant

2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.

Quote by Roybordom

PS. i dont see why everyone supports the roland cubes, they sound like s**t as soon as you use the dist. channels

Go to youtube type in roland cube and just listen to the videos... even transfered through crappy recorders to the internet and out your speakers the cubes sound hundreds of times better than spiders. The sounds i get out of my cube sound almost identical to my favorite bands (even through EMGs) --> dont bother saying anything about EMGs and SS amps either. It sounds great and thats all that matters.
I just want to add don't bother buying a new amp until you can get something tube. Getting a Valvetronix or Cube would be a sidestep (with a slight bit of forward progress) that in my mind, would be a complete waste of money.
Quote by atc228
Another clarification for my older post:
My experience with line 6 spider amps are solely with the higher wattage ones. I can firmly state that they are terrible amps. However, having no experience with lower wattage (15-30) spiders, I am not sure if my statement holds true.

What you might want to do is go down to GC, have the guys line up the different amps in a row, and play from one to the other for at least 15 minutes each, and just buy the one you think best. Because whether or not I think it sounds good is just my opinion.

ive played the 15,30 and 75 watt models

the best sounding one was the 75 watt

and that sucked
if it werent for that EQ pedal, I would have sonically raped everyone at my gig
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by T!AN
I just want to add don't bother buying a new amp until you can get something tube. Getting a Valvetronix or Cube would be a sidestep (with a slight bit of forward progress) that in my mind, would be a complete waste of money.

Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
you have to realize that Guitar Center has way different acoustics than your bedroom

Come on you guys. The kid is 15 and he wants an amp that can do a wide range of stuff.

The Spider 3 isn't a bad amp. It's not for me, but everyone has different tastes. Not everyone is going to love The Cube.

I've tried the two and the three, and the three is significantly better. So for everyone out there who hates Line 6 just because the Spider II is a toppy, fizzy piece, give the III a try before damning it.

For ME (and we're all different) the Spider III is a good that that seems to be able to do it all, but I wouldn't be happy with it in the long term (but that is ME. I don't play chugga chugga metal, I like a warm tone.)

EDIT: My friend has the 150 Spider III and it's never sounded "bad." I use a tube amp, and I'm a tone perfectionist and all that jazz, but the Spider III doesn't ever have that horrible amp sound.
And for loudness, I've never heard (the 150 watt) feedback or squeel. And the highest we've ever gotten to turn it up was about 4.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Last edited by jthm_guitarist at Jul 12, 2008,
i would like to point out to atc228 that your brothers spider 2 did suck ****!! i have played my friends spider 2 120 and it sounded like ****! i played my other friends spider 3 120 and it sounded better. im just lookin at something to play around with that can get up with the drums at my bands "practice" as long as it doesnt break easy i will like it. like i said, its just to play with till i get some real money to buy a good amp. i only have about 500 bucks.
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Come on you guys. The kid is 15 and he wants an amp that can do a wide range of stuff.

The Spider 3 isn't a bad amp. It's not for me, but everyone has different tastes. Not everyone is going to love The Cube.

I've tried the two and the three, and the three is significantly better. So for everyone out there who hates Line 6 just because the Spider II is a toppy, fizzy piece, give the III a try before damning it.

For ME (and we're all different) the Spider II is a good that that seems to be able to do it all, but I wouldn't be happy with it in the long term (but that is ME. I don't play chugga chugga metal, I like a warm tone.)

no i made a valid point

just because it sounds good at Guitar center doesnt gurantee it'll sound good in your bedroom
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
That's enough for a good amp... used.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by jthm_guitarist
snip.

In my first post in this thread I said I have no problem with spiders as practice amps. I was just responding to all the posts telling him to get a new amp, which I thought would be a waste if he's happy with what he has now.
For 500 bucks get a used 5150 or if your not into used stuff get a brand spankin new bugera 6260 and you will be more than happy
You Are Now Aware Of Your Own Breathing
For $500, you can do a HELL of a lot better.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Having tried the Cube and Spider, I prefer the Spider.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Hmmmm I didn't know the spider 3's were better than the 2s. I know the 2's suck, but maybe I'll have to go try a 3 just to see what the improvement is.

for 500 you could get a very decent amp for your purposes, new or used. You could get a fine used tube amp if you wanted, or even a better ss. But if your budget is that high, don't "settle" for the spider, even if the 3 is better than the 2. Go to GC, try every single one in your budget and a little over your budget. Then come back to UG with the list of what you were able to try and which ones you liked the most. You probably won't get to try out some of the ones people will recommend but thats fine, just see what sounds the best to you and come back to ask us all what we think about your possible choice, (quite like what you did here, but with a few more amp choices.)

you're on the right track, and with UG you will get a solid choice for a semi-upgraded amp that can handle what you want.

-just don't be fooled by the cheap $500 half stacks- you don't need one and they suck...
Quote by happytimeharry
ig·no·rant

i have a line 6 spider III 112 and i love it for practice. I is very versitile, you can do so much with them, even better if you get the floor petal unit for it. The only thing is because everythingis tied into the electronics, if something goes wrong, nothing works, not even a clean sound. So that can be troublesom. But as of now my is great, loud, clear, tons of functions. I say it is a good practice or 1st gig amp.
音乐是生活
Music is Life

Ibanez RG2550Z, Edwards Jimmy Page LP Relic Custom, 06 Fender Clapton SS, Line6 Spider III 112, Peavey Classic 30, Boss HD-1, Boss Green Label Chorus, Boss SD1 Overdrive, MXR Fuzz, Blues Breaker
yer they have loads of sounds and all that but yer the over all sound it just nasty IMO why not try a spider valve all of the spider 3 but with valves i heard they are quite good......
Quote by Ichimaru
Pics? I can tell if someone has AIDS just by looking.

Quote by xHuffyx
BTW, what's metal and full of holes?

Dimebag Darrell.
If you're looking to keep up with a drummer, don't get a Spider. You may think they sound great soft, but it's different when you turn them up, and much worse when you jam for a while.

If you want a modeling amp so bad, get a good one, like a Roland Cube or Vox Valvetronix.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
I wouldn't recommend any SS amp, especially if you have 500 bucks. You could easily get a Peavey ValveKing 112 or 212 with that money. You would get much more experience with tweaking EQ, and then once you develop an ear, you won't be unhappy with what you bought. I say go for a VK, or look at a Peavey classic 30, and get an overdrive pedal.

Or a CrateV50 works okay for metal!
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
i mean for your bedroom and the price, the line 6 spider III isn't a bad amp at all to start with. at the same time, if you have the money to invest in a little bit nicer amp it'll help out a lot in the long run. 2-3 years from now you will probably want a better sounding/bigger amp, and it will be very hard to sell the spider III then, b/c most solid state amps depreciate in value easily.
You should also check out a decent Roland Solid State amp, or the Vox Valvetronix has some very versatile sounds (really good metal sound too!)
GOOD LUCK!
Quote by Chance125
I wouldn't recommend any SS amp, especially if you have 500 bucks. You could easily get a Peavey ValveKing 112 or 212 with that money. You would get much more experience with tweaking EQ, and then once you develop an ear, you won't be unhappy with what you bought. I say go for a VK, or look at a Peavey classic 30, and get an overdrive pedal.

Or a CrateV50 works okay for metal!

That's what I was going to say.
For bedroom practice a SS makes a lot of sense. The Spider isn't a terrible amp, it just isn't a great amp. I suggest trying out a Cube 30 and a Vox AD (not XL) and see what you think of them. If you can afford the Spider's big brother the Flextone, try it as well, it has a greater variety of tones and they are all superior to the Spiders.
Quote by atc228
Yes, yes it would be an abomination.

I believe a crate would be better than a line 6 spider, and I despise crate with most of my being.
Honestly, you "like" the sound now because you probably haven't been playing long enough to build up a good ear, but you will pretty soon and then it will hit you: "I just wasted my money on this?!?!"

This is coming from personal experience. It happened to my brother, and it happened to me with crate. We wanted "nice amps" and these cheap "nice amps" were big and loud and had all sorts of lights and buttons. So we got them..... and they sucked.

I'm not sure on your type of music but try a smaller inexpensive Vox or Peavy. They may not have 120 watts, but 30-60 should be good for most purposes.

good luck

EDIT: clarification, my brother bought a spider II back in the day and I bought a crate.

also, a Roland Cube would be amazing for your situation. I second the Cube if not the Vox.

As was stated, if you own the spider for practice that is perfectly fine, but if you are specifically looking to upgrade to a spider, instead go for a cube.

That's a bit closed minded.....I know a very good guitarist who loves his Spider 2, he's played on quite a few amps and guitars as well. Some people like different tones than the majority, what a concept!....... .............
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
If you don't plan on gigging, the Spider is fine. Like if you just want an amp you can play in your room, and just to practice with, it's totally fine.

However, if you're thinking about jamming, and not just with another guitarist (i.e. drummer, bassist, or both) you'll want to look into a used tube amp. A 15/30 watt tube amp with an OD should be able to get you a metal sound.

Try maybe a Crate V50 with an OD or a C30 with an OD. Hell, you could even get a Peavey Windsor Studio combo for that price. Maybe also look into the Kustom Defender. I've heard good things.

If you do go with a tube amp, though, you'll more than likely want to get an OD just to ensure you can get a high gain sound.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by T!AN
Persoanlly, I think spiders are fine as practice amps. It's the larger ones that are the issue.

You could better tone out of another amp, but if you're happy with what you got, enjoy it.

agreed.

Quote by aznrockerdude
IMO for practice they aren't bad, the Cubes are better and are on the same price range, but if you already own one it's not worth the hassle of selling one to buy a Cube. For gigging though, you may want to look into tube amps.

also agreed. basically, if you already have the spider and are only practicing, it'll be fine.

if you haven't bought anything yet, then try the cube as well (and the higher gain vox valvetronix), and buy whichever you like best.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?