Ok so I was wondering if you UG folks had any suggestions on any honest, good fingerpicking songs. I"m looking upwards of intermediate songs. I want it to sound good without singing and one that has a lot of variation of it...Something that I will be amazed that I can play after a couple weeks of hard practice hours...Maybe like an advanced version of Stairway to Heaven (not the song..like more advanced then it). Like I remember when I first looked at the tabs I'm like WTF HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO PLAY THAT!? But once I got it down, I was really proud of myself. Now I play it like a pro and it still sounds great. But yeah I"m looking for this song to mainly improve my fingerpicking skills and also have something handy when showing off to friends XD. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks UG!
john butler - ocean. its insanely fun to learn, i'm learning it right now. also nice and challenging
Dear Prudence is easier than Stairway to Heaven. Try out some Andy McKee, Don Ross, or Antoine Dufour. You'll learn so many techniques you'll **** yourself. I'm learning Antoine Dufour's "Ashes in the Sea" and "Spiritual Groove" right now. Their songs are for advanced players, but there's a lot harder **** out there than this stuff. What makes it look so hard is all of the unusual techniques that they use. Once you get one song down, the others become easier.
Pretty much any Jose Gonzalez song

I would recommend John Butler's Ocean but it's been mentioned couple of times already.

Iron and Wine is also a good choice, songs like Naked As We Came
The Beatles -blackbird
classical gas
'Those who wait' by Tommy Emmanuel
'I've always thought of you' Tommy Emmanuel
'Angelina' Tommy Emanuel
Thanks for the suggestions so far! I think I'll set my mind to learning Ocean - John Butler. My only concern is mine is not an acoustic-electric and in the beginning when he does the tapping...I don't think I"ll get much of a sound..anybody help here?

EDIT: I'm actually leaning more towards While My Guitar Gently Weeps played by Laurence Juber....Anyone any good tabs or links to tutorials online? Thanks!
Last edited by Antibiotics101 at Jul 12, 2008,
Hey ok I have a question..Now I'm learning Ocean because i fell in love with it. Now it requires a C tuning from what I understand...and I was wondering if dropping my guitar that low would like hurt my strings or something?
* Start by tuning your sixth string down to full tones to C.
* Then tune your fifth string down a tone to G. Check the tuning with the third (G) string.
* Next, tune your fourth string down a tone to C. Check the tuning with the sixth (C) string.
* Lastly, tune your second string UP a semitone to C. Check the tuning with the fourth (C) string.
Quote by sxymnky777
* Start by tuning your sixth string down to full tones to C.
* Then tune your fifth string down a tone to G. Check the tuning with the third (G) string.
* Next, tune your fourth string down a tone to C. Check the tuning with the sixth (C) string.
* Lastly, tune your second string UP a semitone to C. Check the tuning with the fourth (C) string.

yeah i know how to do it...i gots a CA-30 tuner..I was just wondering if it would hurt my tuning hardware or the strings or anything...i'm not familiar with drop tunings on acoustic....i'm probably not going to come out of C Open tuning until i learn Ocean down by heart....so yeah.
Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton. An absolute beautiful song - designed for the fingers.
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.
Jose Gonzalez is awesome but I don't think the songs would be as good without singing. Alot of artists on candyrat are good. Try Tommy Emmanuels Day Tripper or The Hunt.

AND to answer the question T.S It won't hurt your guitar from what I know. I use open tunings all the time and I have not noticed any problems. There might be a little fret buzz from the strings flopping around a bit more because of the looser strings but it won't deteriate your guitars quality from my knowledge. Hope that helped.

P.S. ^^ A Fellow Calgarian
Last edited by BM_Smooth at Jul 15, 2008,