I've been wondering what are the best things to do to make sure your guitar doesn't get screwed over by the plane. Also why do you have to detune the strings? Is it something with how high your going in the air with different pressures to the guitar, or is something else?

Just wondering for future reference
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
you detune the strings so the neck doesn't warp from sudden climate or pressure changes. Oh and use an ATA approved flight case, not just a normal hardshell.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
oh and put duct tape around the case
that why you'll know if its stolen

and make sure the case has a sturdy lock
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
I have taken my guitar on a plane 4 times, I just put it in a gig bag and put it in the overhead, I never detuned it and it was fine, it was perfectly in tune while we were up in the air I might add.
get a f**kin good flight case cos that things gonna take a beating and dont take your sg it will get f**ked up, have you seen the way the airport staff treat your cases?. stuff the case with rags or foam too so your guitar cant move around in the case and stick a bit of card between the strings and the frets so there not pushing down causing the frets to wear. also stencil your name and address in big letters on the front in spray paint or something else hard wearing so if the airline company loose it your in with a chance of getting back. also if you flighing in or out of the usa you cant lock the thing if you do the will just smash the lock to look inside so make sure the flight case you get cant be opened accidentaly during transit.
not sure about detuning it tho? iv never done that and my guitar has been fine.
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
oh and put duct tape around the case
that why you'll know if its stolen

and make sure the case has a sturdy lock

you can't lock it when you check it, at least not in the US, if the decide to search it they will cut the lock off, same with the duct tape idea, don't know how that works in other countries, but if you are traveling to, within or through the US locking your case is futile, the only thing you are supposed to lock is a declared firearm.

Last.fm
What if you cary it on and put it over head? I think if you have a smaller guitar (SG) it might fit?

edit: ha people answered my question as I was typing. thanks
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
^i have an SG too. i took it when it was about a month old. i was worried of course, but i happened to be flying out to my old drummer's place and so i "needed" to take it

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Oh and use an ATA approved flight case, not just a normal hardshell.

hm, i've never heard of that. is it a specific thing you would have to purchase from the ATA?

i've only taken mine through once. on the way to my destination, i checked the guitar. i had a standard gibson hard shell case and my parents were concerned so i threw some tape around it just to reinforce it i got it back in fine condition, though the damn tape did peel a bit of the "finish" of the case off

on the way home, i talked to a friendly employee of the airline and he let me take the guitar onto the plane with me and i left it in one of those special compartments the flight attendants have up front.

edit: and my case did have a lock, but i never use the lock. it still has that red plastic piece strung through the combination numbers, i remember when i bought it the guy suggested i don't mess with it.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Last edited by MTVget0FFtheAIR at Jul 12, 2008,
Quote by XianXiuHong
You guys have scared me now, my new guitar is coming in a hardshell case by air, and now I'm afraid that the neck will snap or something

well then you aren't liable if it doesn't reach you safely
but it should be just fine. i've actually never heard of anybody having problems with it.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
^^ I wouldn't be too concerned. Shipping companies are completely different from TSA. That's not to say a company like UPS or FedEx doesn't toss their packages around, but the TSA is vicious in how they deal with luggage.
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR
well then you aren't liable if it doesn't reach you safely
but it should be just fine. i've actually never heard of anybody having problems with it.

Yeah, but the thing is, the guitar's hand-made from a luthier, so I'm not too sure about the insurance, should I tell my dad to detune the strings and stuff when he travels over to Australia?
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR

hm, i've never heard of that. is it a specific thing you would have to purchase from the ATA?

no, just make sure that the case you buy is ATA approved, I don't think you could get any airline to insure a guitar unless it's being transported in an ATA approved case. here's an example of one http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gator-GPE-LPS-ATA-Style-Les-Paul-Type-Guitar-Case?sku=544847

Last.fm