Ok. So... Like... I may sound like a n00b, but whats the difference between active and passive [thats what it is right? passive?] pickups?

and also, can whammy bars be installed on any guitar? or do they have to have certain things?
טארה ניקול
&
נח ליאם

-1.24.11-
no.. whammy bars can't be on any guitar easily.. you can always customize a guitar for alot of money to get it.. but not worth it on certain types like les pauls and stuff.. strats have them..
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickup_%28music%29#Active_and_passive_pickups

If you click "active or passive," it will take you to a physics page which you may or may not find interesting/understand.

Whammy Bars: You'll need some body work done. You need to install springs in the back to counteract the tension in the strings.
Active need a 9 volt battery and have a higher output.....suited for metal mostly...

and a whammy could theoretically be added to any guitar, i guess.....but would at least take some routing on front and maybe on back side and some major custom work at the most. Im assuming you mean like a Floyd Rose or so.....otherwise just a regular tremolo would be a lot easier and more common i guess.
Active pickups, you put a battery in and it causes generally a higher output, I believe.

Passive pickups don't need a battery and are perfectly fine.

Its like comparing EMG 81/85 with Duncan HB-108s.

I dunno if that's a good example, but its late and that's all I could think of.
GEAR:

Jackson Pro Series RR3 (w/ EMG 81/85 combo)
Schecter Gryphon
Epiphone SG G-310
Squier Standard Strat (w/ Fender Strat pups)
Roland Cube 20X
Boss ME-50
k. I didnt plan on installing or attempting to instal one anyway. i was just curious. [about both things]. imboredandhigh.
טארה ניקול
&
נח ליאם

-1.24.11-
Its one of those things, where, if you can dream it and throw enough money at it....It can be built, I seem to remember seeing pics of an acoustic with a floyd rose...?

oops, maybe not quite a floyd, but a tremolo none the less...lol
Last edited by piecies_81 at Jul 12, 2008,
whats a tremolo?
טארה ניקול
&
נח ליאם

-1.24.11-
A tremolo is what whammy bars are attached to. Like on the Strat. Or a Floyd Rose.
GEAR:

Schecter Gryphon
Epiphone SG G-310
Roland Cube 20X
Boss ME-50
k. well... this all sounds dumb to even try. especially because someone said its not worth it on LPs. soo... are there any alternatives to a whammy bar? like... idk... anything that wont cost an insane amount of money and that will do similar things? [sorry] i know nothing about 'whammy bars' or even what they do. i know they can change pitch... but thats about it. so... ya. i need some advice.
טארה ניקול
&
נח ליאם

-1.24.11-
Well, I can tell you that its really hard to shift the pitch down without a whammy bar. Plus you can only bend a string so far. Unless you but a pitch shifting effect pedal. But installing a Floyd Rose on a guitar is really hard and really expensive, since you have to basically cut a hole in the body of your guitar. And seeing in your sig that you have a Silverburst... Don't do it. It's not worth it.

But so you know what a whammy bar/tremolo is, a tremolo is when your bridge is attached to springs, which are in turn screwed into your guitar. So when you don't move the whammy bar, the tremolo is in the normal position, but the springs allow you to pull the bar down, close to the body, (and up if its a Floyd). What this does is lowers your pitch and raises it, respectively. I don't know if that's a good explanation, but that's it in a nutshell.
GEAR:

Schecter Gryphon
Epiphone SG G-310
Roland Cube 20X
Boss ME-50
ok... so... a pitch shifting effect pedal...

Like what? What price range? Does Boss make one? I'm scared to try anything but boss... Oh. And my last question... will a 'pitch shifting effect pedal' work and give the same effect as a whammy bar/tremolo?? =\ like i said, i still dont know much about the technical side of this stuff. but what you said did help. so thanks for that.
טארה ניקול
&
נח ליאם

-1.24.11-
No problem. I don't think a pedal could replace a whammy bar very easily, but you definitely could. Only you would have to buy a pitch shifter, like a Boss Super Shifter, but to replicate the tremolo, you'd also need an expression pedal to control it more directly and imitate the whammy sound. But other than that, being the long shot that it is, I dunno if you could pull off whammy effects without a whammy.
GEAR:

Schecter Gryphon
Epiphone SG G-310
Roland Cube 20X
Boss ME-50
._. Great. soo... tips? advice? dont worry about being brutal [telling me i'm going to need ANOTHER guitar or stuff like that. if thats what needs to be done, then **** it. it has to be done. doesnt it? If i want the whammy effect that is.]
טארה ניקול
&
נח ליאם

-1.24.11-
yeah, i think your best bet, would be to pick up another guitar...Jackson or Ibanez are both good places to start, To have a Les Paul and then a good guitar with a floyd or similar makes for a Great combination of guitars. I have a few Les Pauls plus a Jackson DKMG....with a combo like that, you do pretty much anything i guess...lol.