Preamble: Not asking for own benefit really, just interested in other's answers in comparison to my own. But

Why read poetry?

I mean who in their right mind would buy poetry to read? Why read it over a piece of prose? Why do people go to the book store, go to the poetry section and pick up Yeats or Frost instead of walk two minutes to the right and instead buy Bender or Hemingway?

Why read poetry?
yeats and frost are both esotericist, people read them to be enlighten with spiritual knowlegde and how to communicate with spiritual beings, no joke.
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
It's a good read. Inspires. Motivates. A chuckle (if you read light verse or something). To see what others can craft in the written word, and how I can attempt but fail to better it.
I have an Edgar Allan Poe book, and in the back was an essay he wrote called "The rationale of Verse". That did wonders for me as a writer, and showed me how musical poetry is.
because poetry isn't prose. for the same reason that people read instead of going to the theatre, or go to the theatre instead of going to the cinema.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by #1 synth
Why read poetry?
cuz if you read it aloud to a chick, you might get laid. then again, you might get laughed at.

... or both.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.