Hey guys,

I got my Epiphone Les Paul here which I love ever since I bought it. I just have a few problems with the guitar that I was hoping you can tell me how to fix. I also have the 10 year warranty from GC, but I figured it's better for me to learn how to fix these minor problems myself. The first problem I have is my first two strings (E and A) have some bad fret buzz and I don't really understand which adjustments your supposed to use on the tunomatic bridge (that is how you fix it right?) because some of the guitar lingo I'm a bit sheltered on even with 6 years of bass guitar experience. Second is my pickups seem to be loose on both the rhythm and treble i can push them around not enough to pop them out, but I can definitely push one side in a little bit and vice versa. Last is my toggle switch is loose I can push it from side to side even make it slide along the edge as I switch, it still works though.

Thanks a bunch,

Jack Shamu
As I remember the tunomatic has two big screws, turn the screw on the side of the E and A in the direction that will raise it...off the top of my head I couldn't tell you which way, counter clockwise??? The way you described the pickups seems normal, when I first started playing electric guitar I thought it was strange that I could move the pickups around too. Lastly, tightening the nut on the toggle switch should do the trick. I hope my info is accurate and helpful.
Quote by david_highland
As I remember the tunomatic has two big screws, turn the screw on the side of the E and A in the direction that will raise it...off the top of my head I couldn't tell you which way, counter clockwise??? The way you described the pickups seems normal, when I first started playing electric guitar I thought it was strange that I could move the pickups around too. Lastly, tightening the nut on the toggle switch should do the trick. I hope my info is accurate and helpful.

No offense, but I was hoping that someone with more of a specialty/hobby in les pauls could answer my question if I read other parts of posts they say there's some other tweaks you need to do, but I'm not sure.
Quote by jackdshamu
No offense, but I was hoping that someone with more of a specialty/hobby in les pauls could answer my question if I read other parts of posts they say there's some other tweaks you need to do, but I'm not sure.

the guy gave you advice
don't be a douche
I want Super Saiyan abilities
Quote by jackdshamu

I've worked on a les paul or two in my day, as well as many other guitars. You can take my advice or leave it, I wouldn't tell someone to do something I wouldn't. If I saw your guitar in person perhaps I could tell you something different, but based off of what you said I get the impression that this is what you should do. If you have any doubts about my advice then don't take it, I don't want you to **** up your guitar. I'm just saying that was the best guess I could come up with whithout seeing the guitar.

Quote by rebelmidget
the guy gave you advice
don't be a douche

Thank you...
Last edited by david_highland at Jul 12, 2008,
Quote by david_highland
I've worked on a les paul or two in my day, as well as many other guitars. You can take my advice or leave it, I wouldn't tell someone to do something I wouldn't. If I saw your guitar in person perhaps I could tell you something different, but based off of what you said I get the impression that this is what you should do. If you have any doubts about my advice then don't take it, I don't want you to **** up your guitar. I'm just saying that was the best guess I could come up with whithout seeing the guitar.

Thank you...

I really really didn't mean to offend, I thought you were just guessing my bad. The thing is people are arguing over truss rod adjustment, fret filing, and tunomatic how do I know which one to do? p.s. if you want I guess I could dpost a photo of what you want to look at on it.
Quote by jackdshamu
I really really didn't mean to offend, I thought you were just guessing my bad. The thing is people are arguing over truss rod adjustment, fret filing, and tunomatic how do I know which one to do?

I'm not really offended, just throwing that out there. Anyway, the truss rod, and uneven frets are both possibly the cause of the fret buzz, but odds are it's the bridge. Adjusting the bridge is the easiest solution to the problem, there for the first thing to try, if that doesn't work the next thing to try would be a truss rod adjustment, if you don't have experiance with truss rod adjustment then take it to a guitar tech, there they could also tell you wether or not the problem is uneven frets. If the frets are the problem the tech should be able to take care of it.
Quote by david_highland
I'm not really offended, just throwing that out there. Anyway, the truss rod, and uneven frets are both possibly the cause of the fret buzz, but odds are it's the bridge. Adjusting the bridge is the easiest solution to the problem, if that doesn't work the next thing to try would be a truss rod adjustment, if you don't have experiance with truss rod adjustment then take it to a guitar tech, there they could also tell you wether or not the problem is uneven frets. If the frets are the problem the tech should be able to take care of it.

ok thanks! Once again I apologize if what I said earlier came out wrong, today people mostly think no offense means kiss my ass, so I should probably avoid saying that from now on. Also, I want to replace my pickguard for cosmetic purposes I'm pretty sure thats just a matter of unscrewing it and taking it off and screwing the new one on right? Also gibson LP pickguards work on Epi LPs right?
Thanks Again!
Quote by jackdshamu
ok thanks! Once again I apologize if what I said earlier came out wrong, today people mostly think no offense means kiss my ass, so I should probably avoid saying that from now on. Also, I want to replace my pickguard for cosmetic purposes I'm pretty sure thats just a matter of unscrewing it and taking it off and screwing the new one on right? Also gibson LP pickguards work on Epi LPs right?
Thanks Again!

I really didn't take offence to anything, I was simply informing you of my experiance working on guitars...but yeah, the pick guard, I do believe it's a matter of unscrewing it, but there may be a problem with that. I've never tried to replace the pick guard on an epi for a gibson but it's likely that they could be two different specs, meaning the screw holes could be in slightly different places. If that were the case you could make new ones, no one would be able to tell but it is something that should be taken into concideration if you don't want to drill any holes in your guitar, even if they are tiny ones.
Quote by david_highland
I really didn't take offence to anything, I was simply informing you of my experiance working on guitars...but yeah, the pick guard, I do believe it's a matter of unscrewing it, but there may be a problem with that. I've never tried to replace the pick guard on an epi for a gibson but it's likely that they could be two different specs, meaning the screw holes could be in slightly different places. If that were the case you could make new ones, no one would be able to tell but it is something that should be taken into concideration if you don't want to drill any holes in your guitar, even if they are tiny ones.

One last thing my knobs seem to be crooked and uneven and its a bit hard to tell if their straight since the body isn't completely flat. Is it just matter of needing to press them down all the way or do you have to eyeball them?
Quote by jackdshamu
One last thing my knobs seem to be crooked and uneven and its a bit hard to tell if their straight since the body isn't completely flat. Is it just matter of needing to press them down all the way or do you have to eyeball them?

I don't know, you could press on them to make sure they're on all the way, shouldn't hurt anything. It could just be the conture of the body making it seem as though they aren't on right, or you could just have weird knobs. If all the knobs look the same in turms of which way they are crooked it's probably just the way the body is, if that isn't the case then pressing them down may help, if that doesn't work it may be safe to assume the knobs just don't fit on the potentiometers the right way, I don't think all four knobs would be deffective though. I bet they just look weird because of the curve to the body.
Post pictures of your guitar. That would really help.

Most of the advice you will get will start with the easiest, least intrusive fix, then progress from there. Truss rod is at the bottom of the list. Adjusting the action (string height) via the bridge is the simplest solution. You will have to retune your strings after doing this because the tension on them will either be raised or lowerd depending on how you adjust your bridge.

I was in your position at one time months ago. I took my guitars to a guy a few time and I watched learned and asked questions. Aside from electrical stuff, Im pretty confident in adjusting my axes now.
Quote by Axe Murderer
Post pictures of your guitar. That would really help.

Most of the advice you will get will start with the easiest, least intrusive fix, then progress from there. Truss rod is at the bottom of the list. Adjusting the action (string height) via the bridge is the simplest solution. You will have to retune your strings after doing this because the tension on them will either be raised or lowerd depending on how you adjust your bridge.

I was in your position at one time months ago. I took my guitars to a guy a few time and I watched learned and asked questions. Aside from electrical stuff, Im pretty confident in adjusting my axes now.

Ok well I'll take it into GC on Sunday