hey guys
long-time lurker, new member

I'm having trouble w/ doing a vibrato while bending. in videos I've seen it just looks like they're pushing up and letting it come back down a little, so it should be easy, but it's always crap when I try. now I know the obvious answer would be "practice", but are there any specific techniques or tips? thanks

edit: right now I just press the string harder into the fret for a half-assed version, but it's crap.
yeah it all comes down to finger strength, which comes from practice. that's how it goes.
Peavy Cirrus 5 string
Squire Jazz bass
Berhinger ultrabass head, 450 cabinet
Resident Marvel Comic expert of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
]My band's myspace
http://www.myspace.com/jenovamusicpage
similar problem for me as well.

What I have been doing is during a bend I hook my thumb over the 'top' of the neck (low E side) and kinda choke the neck during the bend then shake it. Works ok for now....
Vibrato is one of the skills that can literally define your own sound. I can identify many guitar legends by just a few seconds of hearing one of their bends or vibratos. Finger strength is one issue. How many fingers to use is another, which direction to bend, etc. There are lots of different bends.

You can download a free tab document, as well as see free video examples of most tabbed-out techniques at www.reallylearnguitar.com/tablature.htm

Keep practicing and you'll develop your own style
Jam On!
Try doing it really slow so you get the technique down then build your speed after you got it right. And vibrato takes tons of practice. I think jeff beck said he practices vibrato at each fret with each finger takes a while Im sure to get every fret.
It's all about your fingers. As much as I hate to give the obvious answer, it'll come with practice.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play