Folks,

Been playing for several years, but am relatively new to electric gear...crazy about Led Zep and planning to buy the LP - but right now am also learning what I call guitar gymastics - string skipping arpeggios, 8 finger tapping, the works...but I understand all of this is just that much more challenging on the LP with its fat neck (currently I'm on Ibanez)....any suggestions? Will I necessarily need to maintain two axes for different styles all my life ???

Thanks
You'll get used to it pretty quickly and find it's not as challenging as you think.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
no, you can use any guitar for any style. it's just about what kind of sound you like.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by r_samson
Folks,

Been playing for several years, but am relatively new to electric gear...crazy about Led Zep and planning to buy the LP - but right now am also learning what I call guitar gymastics - string skipping arpeggios, 8 finger tapping, the works...but I understand all of this is just that much more challenging on the LP with its fat neck (currently I'm on Ibanez)....any suggestions? Will I necessarily need to maintain two axes for different styles all my life ???

Thanks

hmm zakk wylde nor buckethead have no problems? idk, theres nothing practice won't solve.
The neck won't be a problem. What I found uncomfortable on LP was the position of the toggle switch for 2-hand tapping. That, and the high register access is quite limited. For that reason I wouldn't recommend it, but that doesn't mean you can't play that on one. It's just more difficult for those reasons (at least for me).
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
um sir

The ones with the 60s necks play like fire

I'm sure an LP doesn't stop Chris Goldy or Vivian Campbell from shredding on one

I personally prefer all the sort of old school (gibsons and fenders) to all these new shred guitars... They sound more organic and feel like real (instead of playing on this square neck you play on a neck that is a regular shape which feels right to the hand.)

It's best if the LP you're snagging has a 60s neck... that's what i've found.
Long live the oldschool!
Buckethead? Wylde? Them and many more I'll bet, the fat neck is easier for some people to shred on. It all depends on the size of your hands.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
I actually prefer the Gibson "50's neck" for faster playing. I have rather large hands and it's easier and more efficient for me to roll my hand around a thicker more rounded neck than the kitchen knife profile that Ibanez uses. Regardless, neck preference is entirely subjective. Right now I'm using a very small neck, but only because the music I'm playing requires a lot of really awkward chord changes.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Highwaytohell
um sir

The ones with the 60s necks play like fire

I'm sure an LP doesn't stop Chris Goldy or Vivian Campbell from shredding on one

I personally prefer all the sort of old school (gibsons and fenders) to all these new shred guitars... They sound more organic and feel like real (instead of playing on this square neck you play on a neck that is a regular shape which feels right to the hand.)

It's best if the LP you're snagging has a 60s neck... that's what i've found.
Long live the oldschool!

Bingo bango. +1
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
50's neck > 60's neck.
The true, traditional, necks are what they call "50's necks". Before the early 2000's they were all one shape (50's style).
Its definitely possible. It will just take time to get used to the fret access (not that great)
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Hell yeah man! I can shred on Les Pauls, and PRS guitars better than anything else, and my hands aren't that big. I have an Epiphone Les Paul, and the fret access is not a problem, it's almost as good as my Explorer. I love the feel of a real chunky neck. I dunno about everyone else, but I find chords easier on a larger neck.
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-