How many musicians does it take to screw a lightbulb?

1 to do it, and 7 to say they can do it better.

[Posted by David Carr here. I've tampered with a few words.

Freud said,“...The ego is that part of the id which has been modified by the direct influence of the external world ... The ego represents what may be called reason and common sense, in contrast to the id, which contains the passions ... in its relation to the id it is like a man on horseback, who has to hold in check the superior strength of the horse; with this difference, that the rider tries to do so with his own strength, while the ego uses borrowed forces [Freud, The Ego and the Id (1923)]”

In modern-day society, ego has many meanings. It could mean one’s self-esteem; an inflated sense of self-worth; or, in philosophical terms, one’s self.

Enough of the psychology lesson, on with the actual meaning of the post.

Those of you, who have had the opportunity to mingle with musicians, will have noticed on phenomenon common to most. Their behemoth, and leviathan -like ego. Each musicians tries to bash, and out-do, the other (who plays the same instrument as them) with relentless energy. I, myself, not so long ago, was one of these. Whenever I heard my friends talk about X's guitar playing, or Y's fluidity, I would feel a violent eruption inside me, and spit out venom-filled lines, such as, "That wanker has no idea what he's doing!" or, "Please, I could beat him, and beat my meat at the same time!"

However, with the never-pausing progression of time, I realized how flawed my ways were. Some of the players, most of whom I still don't share common ground on music with, after conversing, showed a unique sense of music, which helped me grow musically. That's when I accepted my position as a musician, and reality struck. Although I threw their asses into the pit with knowledge of music theory, and techniques, there was a reason these people had more mass-appeal than myself. Experience. While I had it all in my head, these people had done it practically. Whether they possessed the same knowledge as myself, or had just grown aurally, I don't know. They were better than me, and I had to accept it. The more the denied the facts, like a stringy little nihil, the more I was deceiving myself.

Upon acceptance, I felt an increased dedication to the art, and practiced harder. Became better.

I believe that, one of the reasons for the musician's ego is the subconscious, or sometimes conscious, belief that no one has put as much dedication, time, sweat, tears, and energy into their art as you. This distorts one's understanding of oneself's actual ability, and there you go, your head in the skies. Believe me, some of the top musicians of the world, who seem to be at eternal One with their instrument, and seem to possess a natural ability for it, have been quoted to practice "25 hours a day"=P.

The reason for the existence of such people, in my opinion, is to minimize the musician's ego, wrap it up, and ship it off to Deadegoland [replace with better word =D].

Just because you've reached a certain pinnacle of playing doesn't mean that you go around boasting, like a pretentious little prick. Do you want someone to melt your face infront of hundreds of people? No. If you're good, good! People will realize it on their own. If you go around little a little, pricky fairy, "So, can anyone of you play in G# minor, modulate to the Locrian, and use the plagal cadence to end the piece?"

Yes. Someone can. And he/she will throw you on your ass.

To sum up, enjoy music, respect other musicians, and see how they'll respect you back. It is a nice feeling. It really is. =P

Thanks. =D

I've written this article over here to show this isn't plagarised. =)
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Last edited by sTx at Jul 26, 2008,
man this is so true...people feel the need to bash others around just to get themselves feel better.. b.s....and sometimes, some of us just need to face the music...be forced to shut up by someone far better as a musician than us.....and if one gets his/hers mind right...they can rediscover that passion for music and not for ''i'm the best so f**k the rest'' ...
this article just made me want to play in G# minor, modulate to the Locrian, and use the plagal cadence to end the piece.

hehe
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
Quote by sTx
How many musicians does it take to screw a lightbulb?

1 to do it, and 7 to say they can do it better.

[Posted by David Carr here. I've tampered with a few words.

Freud said,“...The ego is that part of the id which has been modified by the direct influence of the external world ... The ego represents what may be called reason and common sense, in contrast to the id, which contains the passions ... in its relation to the id it is like a man on horseback, who has to hold in check the superior strength of the horse; with this difference, that the rider tries to do so with his own strength, while the ego uses borrowed forces [Freud, The Ego and the Id (1923)]”

In modern-day society, ego has many meanings. It could mean one’s self-esteem; an inflated sense of self-worth; or, in philosophical terms, one’s self.

Enough of the psychology lesson, on with the actual meaning of the post.

Those of you, who have had the opportunity to mingle with musicians, will have noticed on phenomenon common to most. Their behemoth, and leviathan -like ego. Each musicians tries to bash, and out-do, the other (who plays the same instrument as them) with relentless energy. I, myself, not so long ago, was one of these. Whenever I heard my friends talk about X's guitar playing, or Y's fluidity, I would feel a violent eruption inside me, and spit out venom-filled lines, such as, "That wanker has no idea what he's doing!" or, "Please, I could beat him, and beat my meat at the same time!"

Almost sounds like Yngwie.
but Yeah, I like this.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Jul 14, 2008,
Spelling corrected.

Thanks all.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Quote by mosh_face
this article just made me want to play in G# minor, modulate to the Locrian, and use the plagal cadence to end this thread.

hehe

fixed
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h