Page 1 of 2
When did modern accents develop, in particular in the united states? For how long have there been regionally identifiable accents? Did George Washington etc. speak with American accents or British ones or something in the middle?

What is your accent - post a phrase to show us how it sounds!
I have a South African accent - I'd rather not record it since I have a very indecipherable voice.
Last edited by Lord-O-Donuts at Jul 12, 2008,
Quote by jmilli2
South African accents rock broo. Nearly as much as Manc.

Manc accent is best in the world
No endeavour rivals science in its incremental progress towards a more complete understanding of the observable universe.
I think that George Washington and his contemporaries sounded more like the British then current day Americans.

Also I think accents (and changes in language) occur from generation to generation. This newest generation (kids 3 to 4 years old) are already saying things like Dude, man, chill, using technology related terminology that I never saw as a kid. As they grow up they will develop new vocabulary for that kind of thing. By the time they are my age I probably will not be able to understand them.

This is me:

Slight Texan accent

use stuff like y'all, fixing to, yup, s'ppose so, etc.
Git awf mah lahn, you sill-ee, var-mint.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
im australian and no i dont want to put a shrimp on the barbie
IRON MAIDEN
8th Feb 2008, Melbourne, Australia

Quote by SatanicShredder
One time I shat on the floor on janitor appreciation day.

Wasn't even caught.

Certificate in Music Industry 2, 3 & 4
Hmmmmf, I could have a Dutch accent: kan I orrderr sum tea frrom yoouu?

Or something like that...

EDIT: the 'r' is really strong and harsh.
i'm a geordie, and no, i won't say 'byker grove' or 'whey aye man'.
Quote by Sammy2K7

I don't sound very Northern a lot of the time but when I do.... oh dear
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by clown_phobia
When did modern accents develop, in particular in the united states? For how long have there been regionally identifiable accents? Did George Washington etc. speak with American accents or British ones or something in the middle?

What is your accent - post a phrase to show us how it sounds!

Regional accents have been around forever. Using English as the basis, take a look at the UK. You have English, Scottish, Welsh & Irish accents. The same land mass (except Ireland), yet 4 very different variations of the same language. Then you have differences between Class & education levels - Upper & Lower, Highlands, Lowlands, Monarchs, educated etc etc - Now imagine a bunch of people thrown together from all of these backgrounds, and have them settle in a new land - US, Australia - In a very short period of time they're all mixed together, as well as the introduction of other variations from other Euro immigrants (Italians etc).

It's a constant melting pot, and it will constantly change. Accents arn't set for life. Even adults accents change when they relocate. It's just a natural adaption/progression. People speak differently now than those in their place 50 years ago, and people 50 years from now will have differing accents to the 'now' generation.
Quote by haz_uk

Geordies ftw
I have a Chinese accent that's slightly mixed in with a British one. No, I will not post a sound clip
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by haz_uk

Hahahaha. I bet you adore that programme, are you friends with Ant or Deck?

I'm from Somerset, and the west country accent is one of the greatest ever conceived, but unfortunately I don't have one, I'm a bit of a posh cunt, really, so I speak properly.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by Harmonius
I have a Chinese accent that's slightly mixed in with a British one. No, I will not post a sound clip

Herman Ri?
Quote by guitarnoobie
Herman Ri?

stfu
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Harmonius
stfu

lol!
I've got a really screwed up mix of accents. Its about 30% american, 40% english n 20% irish!
I live in Wisconsin, but I was born a Yooper.

I don't have a blatant Wisconsin or Yooper accent. I do, however, say bubbler.
Quote by ProgFan
I live in Wisconsin, but I was born a Yooper.

I don't have a blatant Wisconsin or Yooper accent. I do, however, say bubbler.

whats a yooper?
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
I have found that the British accent isn't really an accent as much as it is proper pronunciation of the English language and use of phonetics. For example in England, the word "bait" is pronounced exactly like it is spelled, the "a" and "i" form a dipthong making a long "I" sound, this is pretty easy for learners. However in America we would pronounce that like "beit" while it is still spelled "bait" and technically should be pronounced "bite." I don't know, that is just the conclusion I came to and I could give many other examples, and of course English is far from being phonetic, but it seems British English is much more phonetic than American.
i have a southern accent, so no i don't have an accent. everyone sounds different around here.

but that might be the same as saying people from a different ethnicity all look the same which does happen sometimes.

Quote by haz_uk

mooterboots and reezerbleeyds?
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by Sammy2K7

haha. No it's not.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████

You'll Never Walk Alone
Quote by AlleWarten
I have found that the British accent isn't really an accent as much as it is proper pronunciation of the English language and use of phonetics. For example in England, the word "bait" is pronounced exactly like it is spelled, the "a" and "i" form a dipthong making a long "I" sound, this is pretty easy for learners. However in America we would pronounce that like "beit" while it is still spelled "bait" and technically should be pronounced "bite." I don't know, that is just the conclusion I came to and I could give many other examples, and of course English is far from being phonetic, but it seems British English is much more phonetic than American.

No such thing as THE British Accent.

And, I dunno what accent I have really. It's not really Manc, and I live in Oldham anyway, which has a different accent. I'd post a clip, but I have no idea where to host it. =P
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Quote by pbiggie
whats a yooper?

A Yooper is someone from the UP of Michigan. Most people there pronounce the 'U' as 'Yoo'.
There's already a sound clip of my accent for that thread where we had to read out a set phrase
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by ProgFan
A Yooper is someone from the UP of Michigan. Most people there pronounce the 'U' as 'Yoo'.

I'm confused. Isn't U pronounced Yoo anyway?
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Someone should make a British accent-off, but instead of just British accents, all accent would be acceptable.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████

You'll Never Walk Alone
^^ So basically, you're saying we should have an Accent-off?
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Quote by Glimsom
^^ So basically, you're saying we should have an Accent-off?

... Yeah, that's essentially what I was saying.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████

You'll Never Walk Alone
Quote by kidsilcon
... Yeah, that's essentially what I was saying.

Sounds good. I'd take part, but what if nobody liked my voice? =/

I don't think I could handle that kind of rejection.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Quote by AlleWarten
I see what you're saying. I can't agree that one accent is phonetically correct and most others are incorrect. Seeing as whatever accent somebody has, they perceive as the right pronounciation, nobody can really be wrong.

Also, I myself am from the midwest, but don't have the typical midwest accent (which nobody in my area has).
Last edited by MrMojoRisin' at Jul 12, 2008,
Quote by Glimsom
Sounds good. I'd take part, but what if nobody liked my voice? =/

I don't think I could handle that kind of rejection.

Well, it wouldn't show who was last, but it would just have the top 10 who the judges voted best.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████

You'll Never Walk Alone
I'm from Newcastle but I speak in 'BBC English'.

At the start of the year in 6th Form I was constantly being asked where I was from >.>
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
There's a BBC page where there's accents from all over the UK. Surprisingly, the village I live in (Coxhoe) has had recordings made from there. You can listen to my accent here.
Page 1 of 2