So I finally started using a metronome to practice alternate picking etc and I recorded myself at 80bpm as a starting point using my guitar aswell as the metronome...so every metronome click appears as a wave on the timeline (Audacity)

I noticed that I consistantly lag behind the beat by the same amount of time, and this happens more often than hitting the beat perfectly.

What is the best thing I can do to correct this? Is it as simple as just doing it over and over until I hit every beat on time?
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
Quote by Anthony1991
Dump the metronome, and play along with guitar pro

This is what I do. I have never known whether it's good or not though.
Quote by Regression
This is what I do. I have never known whether it's good or not though.

Metronomes do my head in :p And GP5 feels more natural, since you're playing along to a sim of the real song, without the BEEP BEEP thing over and over, it's easier.
Quote by GoDrex
Do you tap your foot along with it when you practice?

No but I'll give it a shot
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
try deliberately playing ahead of the metronome a for a few days then purposely playing behind it a for a few days. When you've done this try hitting the beat on the head and see if it helps.

A consistent tiny lag ain't as bad as inconsistency though. If you are playing to a metronome and start well but find after a while you are way off or feel like the metronome is slowing down you have issues and need more metronome practice.
Si
slow down and work your way up. you may feel stupid for playing at such a slow pace, but precision is what you're looking for

if that doesn't work, start playing some really rhythmic stuff to try and sync up with the drums and beat.
Sweeping is for n00bs. I've moved on to vacuuming. Eventually I'll even try steam cleaning.

Bitches don't know
You obviously have never practice with a metronome regularly before, it's logical you can't keep up. Don't ditch it, please. After a month, you'll have grasped it and your playing will start improving so much. There is nothing worse than hearing an out of time musician, trust me. So keep at it and you'll start gettgin much better.
Quote by confusius
You obviously have never practice with a metronome regularly before, it's logical you can't keep up. Don't ditch it, please. After a month, you'll have grasped it and your playing will start improving so much. There is nothing worse than hearing an out of time musician, trust me. So keep at it and you'll start gettgin much better.

+1 after I got the hang of using a metronome properly I started seeing the benefits straight away.
Just a small point... do you know if your sound card has any latency issues?
Last edited by RichieJovie at Jul 12, 2008,
Quote by RichieJovie
Just a small point... due you know if your sound card has any latency issues?

Haha, just noticed that it could be that. My pc lags when recording all the time.
Quote by RichieJovie
Just a small point... due you know if your sound card has any latency issues?
Yes, latency! If you're lagging by about the same amount of time it might not be totally your fault. Try recording yourself playing along to a metronome from an outside source, like a cell phone or something.
Quote by confusius

yeah you just inspired me to not ditch the ****ing metronome. it makes me want to cry sometimes. Was it this hard for everyone to get used to a metronome?
Quote by Anthony1991

I have never before seen anybody who is actually incapable of offering decent advice.

Stick with the metronome; yes, it's weird to get used to, but it's well, well worth it.
Quote by sxymnky777
yeah you just inspired me to not ditch the ****ing metronome. it makes me want to cry sometimes. Was it this hard for everyone to get used to a metronome?

Not for me...

But don't feel bad, some people are just a bit more natural at it. Even before I played instruments I could keep a steady rhythm pretty well. So playing to a metronome isn't too hard for me. It's definitely worth it to keep at it with the metronome.
Quote by Liam.

I noticed that I consistantly lag behind the beat by the same amount of time, and this happens more often than hitting the beat perfectly.

Good for you! That's precisely what the metronome is for: developing your timing
PRECISELY. That's a actually a great way to work on it -- looking at the waveform
compared to the click. As you do more of that, you'll develop the sense of exactly
where your playing is in reference to the beat.

Don't worry about finding it difficult to do. Most people do. It's just that many choose
to ignore the problem. Block the problem from your mind, and there is no problem!
Ignrorance is bliss.
Quote by Anthony1991

This seems to me one of the WORST things you can do. If the metronome messes with your head, turn it down or something.

...Then again, I don't own Guitar Pro.
Play along in key to a backing track. Works wonders.
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
Quote by RichieJovie
Just a small point... do you know if your sound card has any latency issues?

My sound card is fine, it's definately me because I do hit the beat some times

That is correct, I finally realised it was a good thing

Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
don't dump the metronome. as everyone said you will get used to it. furthermore, tap your foot to the beat as well to develop a visceral sense of timing.