I am trying to teach myself to do a pinch but i can only hit them every once in a while im still working on the thumb muting. Yes i am on the bridge pickup and i know you have to find the sweet spot for every pinch but a i doing something else wrong, or could it just be that my guitar has single coil pickups and not humbuckers?
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
Maybe. youll get better with time. like everything else. i did.
Yeah, I used to have the same problem with PHs but after a while of doing them and practicing it became easy. Just practice some licks with PHs and after a while you will get them rather easily.
Practise.

Single Coils are not the same as humbuckers.
Find the location where you like the sound best.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
I had that problem when I was starting out. If you hold your pick weirdly, or if you're trying to copy EVH, good luck trying to pull off a pinch harmonic. That was main catch was that I didn't hold my pick right, and I couldn't get it.

Just keep trying. Just sit there and pay attention what you did to get one to work, and keep doing it.
-limefan913

Quote by Chad48309
Quote by The_lizard_king
Originally Posted by The_lizard_king
It really does relieve stress. I was pissed off for a week because I didn't jerk off, so if you quit it you will go mad.
I don't think that's the correct use of the phrase "going mad."
id say a definite no to practicing on clean for me that completely failed for me
practice on 1 string at a time as i find to get the really extreme pinches that metal bands seem to love on the low e string requires more force in my picking hand than say the g string.
but keep practicing in the end youil get it
do it on the celan channel like Nightraven said, and also when you do scales etc try and make all the notes PH, there's not really an easy way, it woodshedding. Hope that helps dude.
start on 5th fret, g string. once that's nailed, move to lower strings.
If you hold your pick completely parallel to the string when you pick normal, try rotating it a bit clockwise and cut into the string with the pick edge and thumb. Keep rotating the pick clockwise till you get the right angle and hit the harmonic all the time. Oh and there is a difference between single coils and humbuckers. Humbuckers are usually easier to get harmonics on because they run hotter than singles but you can get pinch harmonics with any pickup, even cheap stock ones. Also having plenty of overdrive helps, the cleaner the signal the less likely you'll get the harmonic.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Quote by DCarney9116
I am trying to teach myself to do a pinch but i can only hit them every once in a while im still working on the thumb muting. Yes i am on the bridge pickup and i know you have to find the sweet spot for every pinch but a i doing something else wrong, or could it just be that my guitar has single coil pickups and not humbuckers?

Start out with the basics. try the 7th fret third sting and do a pinch harmonic right behind the middle pick up would be. Then move it around, try every thing. You just have to expirement. best of luck!!!
metallica!!!!!