Pit, I was wondering if there was a name for this condition:

I know two languages, English and Japanese. However, my family is largely German in ancestry.

Every once in a while, I'll hear something in another language (most often in German, I have a few friends who speak it), and I'll understand it perfectly, despite not speaking a word of it.

Also, just now, I was listening to a song in Russian, and I could understand what the singer said. I looked up a translation, and sure enough, I was right.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
That's because, m'dear, many languages have common sources and words sound similar because of this, so mainly because of context, things are understandable.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
u hav teh AIDS0rz!!!!.

/spam

also, what DigUpHerBones said.

EDIT: why were you listening to a song in russian if you don't speak russian!

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Quote by DigUpHerBones
That's because, m'dear, many languages have common sources and words sound similar because of this, so mainly because of context, things are understandable.

But none of the words sounded similar...

"Это песня о самом красивом
городе в мире. Москва!"

Yeah, real similar to "this is a song about the most beautiful city in the world, Moscow."
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
I do that as well...but I can speak only Slovene,Italian,English...that's it...but I understand like...10-15 lenguages xD
I don't get those asian ones only
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by DigUpHerBones

+1. After learning french, i could understand a lot of spanish and latin as well. Don't forget that English is the wh0re-child of languages; there are many father languages.
Same kind of stuff happens to me. It happens to me when my mom and grandma speak in Slovenian to each other I can pretty much get the gist of what they're saying even though all I know of it are the regular phrases (hello, how are you?) and swears.
moskau moskau wilf die glasier and die wand?
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
maybe the word you are looking for is a linguist? But a linguist means a person who knows or speaks several languages but as others have said many languages have similarities between them.
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
Quote by nikhil101
maybe the word you are looking for is a linguist? But a linguist means a person who knows or speaks several languages but as othershave said many languages have similarities between them.

Maybe... but I'm just weirded out whenever it happens. Especially with languages I seriously have no knowledge of, like Russian or Romanian.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
because most languages are based from latin, or some form of romantic language?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by PlayMadness
Maybe... but I'm just weirded out whenever it happens. Especially with languages I seriously have no knowledge of, like Russian or Romanian.

Yeah that is kind of strange because i speak german, english and spanish and with languages such as russian I don't even know a single word that is being said.
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
Quote by restless_thrash
maybe you have a gift. Did y'ever see the 13th warrior?

"my mother was a good woman, and i at least knew my father!"

say that in norse, and i will bear you a savior!

That's an easy one!

minn modir var god kaup kona , og eg a minnstur knew minn fadir!
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
I don't know about the Russian one, but for German, English and German have many common words, for example, my friend thought a Rammstein song was in English, I tried to tell him it was in German, and they were saying "Hier kommt die Sonne," and not "Here comes the sun," despite the fact that the sentences sound almost the same.
Quote by AlleWarten
I don't know about the Russian one, but for German, English and German have many common words, for example, my friend thought a Rammstein song was in English, I tried to tell him it was in German, and they were saying "Hier kommt die Sonne," and not "Here comes the sun," despite the fact that the sentences sound almost the same.

I can understand all Rammstein's songs too.

Sometimes I wish I didn't
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Quote by scheck006
English is very similar to german.

Except for the fact that German has 28 articles while English has 2 (3 to preserve vowel sounds). And the fact that German has the most ridiculous system of declination ever, while English doesn't decline words at all.
its proabably because you've heard the language spoken so much that you picked up some phrases and stuff
I see no sign of fortress.
Quote by PlayMadness

Oh yea, I was listening to the song "Mutter" and I could understand quite a bit, and it was rather sickening to be honest.
Quote by AlleWarten
Oh yea, I was listening to the song "Mutter" and I could understand quite a bit, and it was rather sickening to be honest.

Zwitter, Mutter, Mein Teil, Mann gegen Mann, Heirate Mich, all so...
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Quote by stringmagician
You're a twelfth level genius, simple as.

I already knew that
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Quote by Mr.Smith
Same kind of stuff happens to me. It happens to me when my mom and grandma speak in Slovenian to each other I can pretty much get the gist of what they're saying even though all I know of it are the regular phrases (hello, how are you?) and swears.

This happened to me with Russian, I was in a room with a few friends on camp, all of them russkis, and they were constantly talking in it, by the end of the week I could understand the gist of what they were saying (though not the details).
Quote by PlayMadness

Yeah some of there songs are weird....Zwitter is my favourite..

'When all my freinds were out looking for girls
I could already fertilise myself'

Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Quote by eggo_boi_15

Yeah some of there songs are weird....Zwitter is my favourite..

'When all my freinds were out looking for girls
I could already fertilise myself'

I am alone but not alone
I can be together with myself
Early I kiss my reflection
And at night I fall asleep with myself
When the others searched for girls
I could already fertilize myself
I am not even downhearted then
When one tells me "**** yourself"
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Quote by Dreadnought
Sounds like a standard case of bullshit to me

Yeah, you can say that, Mr. Mod
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Anyone else can say that too, I'm just funnier than your average Pit monkey
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by PlayMadness
Pit, I was wondering if there was a name for this condition:

I know two languages, English and Japanese. However, my family is largely German in ancestry.

Every once in a while, I'll hear something in another language (most often in German, I have a few friends who speak it), and I'll understand it perfectly, despite not speaking a word of it.

Also, just now, I was listening to a song in Russian, and I could understand what the singer said. I looked up a translation, and sure enough, I was right.

theyre called cognates