Personally i have never played one, but i really dont see the need for one, is there something im missing? People i know that play 7 strings stand by them, but i think a 7 string guitar is like the 2 dollar bill of guitars.
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
It's your opinion.

I like 7-strings.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
I guess the biggest thing your missing is an open mind

its like if guitars were only ever 5 strins A-e and some one said hey lets add a bottom E every one would be like wtf whats the point? Its the same principle, get out of this bog standard way of playing music

7 strings = more low end more diversity more chord positions elimates the need for some downtuning etc etc.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
The thing is that when you get a guitar with a seventh string, you might tend to focus only on that string, while forgetting the rest.

I mean, when you think about it, there's no point in buying one if you only want the top 6, but you shouldn't get carried away with just the 7th string either. Gotta know how much is enough.
wudda bout 8 strangs? and 9 strangs?
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
I dont think they mass produce anything with 'strangs'

Quote by sashki
The thing is that when you get a guitar with a seventh string, you might tend to focus only on that string, while forgetting the rest.

I disagree, for those of us that like to utilise the wonderful thing called a chord its pretty much impossible to focus on one string

and when I do blued improv etc I'm pretty much sticking to the higher strings.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
MESHUGGAH!

Anyways. The 7 stringers are always just good for stuff like not needing to downtune, and having a wider range of notes.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Then you get one that looks like this.. and it wouldn't even be the same beast if it were a 6 string:

Quote by Deep*Kick
why do you need to have ur amp flat bickie in your house if you are just practicing is what i'm wondering? Of course it's bad for every1's hearing

Rig:
Ibanez Xiphos7 w/ Blackouts -or- ESPh307->MXR ZW-44-> Peavey 6505+

7/ERG Legion
7 string guitars are great if you want to achieve a more 'bassy' tone, but unless you mastered a 6 string to a certain extend and dont have the need for a 7 string, I think its a big waste of money.
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
Quote by sashki

I mean, when you think about it, there's no point in buying one if you only want the top 6, but you shouldn't get carried away with just the 7th string either. Gotta know how much is enough.

I agree and disagree.

Agreement: Some people do

Disagreement: So many more people use them as jazz guitars. Can you imagine some diminished chords on 7 (or especially 8) strings?
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by lokster
7 string guitars are great if you want to achieve a more 'bassy' tone, but unless you mastered a 6 string to a certain extend and dont have the need for a 7 string, I think its a big waste of money.

So the extended range and more options for chord voicings don't mean anything to you then? That's why I want a 7-string; it's all about sonic options not just added low-end.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
So the extended range and more options for chord voicings don't mean anything to you then? That's why I want a 7-string; it's all about sonic options not just added low-end.

As I said, if you feel limited by the 6string then go ahead and buy a 7 string.
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
I guess alot of the more narrow minded people never will be able to understand the 7string users.....

Before I got my first 7stringer I used to downtune my 6stringer! I used drop B tuning alot, and that worked fine, exept that when I then wanted to play something in standard tuning I had to tune the whole guitar again!
That, and the fact that many of the bands I listen to uses 7strings, made me wanna buy one. So eventually I bought my first 7stringer and immediatly fell in love with 7string guitars!
Like the others sad, the versatility is great! You can play almost anything on a 7string without alot of tuning. I keep my 7stringers in standard tuning, but maybe I'll tune one of them to drop A just for the fun of it!
I like how a 7stringer feel bigger than a 6stringer (I used to play 5string bass so I was used to the feel of a wide neck), and overall 7string guitars is massive instruments!

Once you go 7 you never go back!

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
I dont feel limited by 6 strings, and I definatly havent mastered any part of playing 6 string guitar, I just prefer 7 strings, its there if I want it, if I dont it doesnt get in my way, I prefer the spacing of a 7 string it feels like I have more room to breathe on the guitar.

Now all I need is a baritone 7 string so I can feel comfortable on those tiny upper frets lol

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976