Hey guys, does anybody know if there is a way to get better sustain out of a cheap guitar like a squier strat? I dug it out from the basement a few months ago and started to mod it up, but no matter what I do the sustain blows. Does anybody have any tips?
hmm...put a piece of wood to block the tremolo?
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
1. replace the tuners. 2. replace the electronics (pickups volume and tone pots). 3. get a new trem for it. or.... you could sell it and buy a new guitar. you can get all this stuff for a little over a hundred btw.
Thanks for the qucik answers. if i got some kind of bridge like an edge (i know half of them are trash), would that improve it? What is the most important thing in sustain, the body wood or the bridge?
Quote by the agony scene
Fernandes Sustainer Kit
ultimate sustain

+1
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Quote by the agony scene
Fernandes Sustainer Kit
ultimate sustain

Agreed. I was going to say the same.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
ok, I might get this fernandes thing. Does anybody else know anything about it? And do I get to keep my own pickups in, or do I have to replace them?
their pickups, so you would just be replacing your pickups...

but would you rather have your old ****ty pickups or pickups that sustain until the battery runs out? eh?
instruments:
B.C Rich Warlock-Body Art Collection-June 2003
Ibanez SZ520QM
Epiphone PR-100 Acoustic
Squire Strat (way sweeter than it sounds)
Gear:
Line 6 Spider 3 HD75
Peavey Mark III Head
Peavey 1x15 Cabinet
A fixed bridge guitar will have better sustain than one with a wammy. So going from a regular squire wammy to a edge wont improve anything. If anything make it worse as you will need to cut more wood out of the guitar for it to fit. And also need to install a locking nut. There is a premade wood block available that with a little fitting drops right into where the wood is missing for the existing wammy then convert it to a hardtail.
Quote by SupremeACL
Agreed. I was going to say the same.

same here i got beaten though
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
You might as well get the Sustainer. Putting more wood into your guitar or blocking the trem will either be not worth it or too much trouble to put into a squier. Besides, the squier pickups are trash and, from what I've heard, the Fernandes ones are actually pretty decent.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Wait...are the Fernandes pickups really necessary for the sustainer? If I could get a hold of a sustainer circuit couldn't I just use that in the guitar circuit or am I mistaken?
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
I'm pretty sure you have to use the Fernandes pickups for the sustainer. Not positive though.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.