So basically I'm looking to set up a simple but decent sounding recording studio in a room that used to be my bedroom. (I'm not sure if that has any significance. I dont know if the room matters at all for recording...like acoustics and stuff. Theres a futon and shelves, a tv, stereo, ect. Does that kind of thing have any impact?)

I'd like to go with the cheapest options available without compromising quality too much. I currently have an M-Audio MIDI controller, a toneport ux2, and a variety of software. (ableton live, FL studio, cakewalk project5 and some free ones, too)

Basically this set-up would be for recording guitar, (bass+electric and acoustic) vocals, and keys. But I have no idea what else I need besides mics, and even then I don't know which kind I should get. Any help is appreciated!
Quote by Thomasoman
So basically I'm looking to set up a simple but decent sounding recording studio in a room that used to be my bedroom. (I'm not sure if that has any significance. I dont know if the room matters at all for recording...like acoustics and stuff. Theres a futon and shelves, a tv, stereo, ect. Does that kind of thing have any impact?)

I'd like to go with the cheapest options available without compromising quality too much. I currently have an M-Audio MIDI controller, a toneport ux2, and a variety of software. (ableton live, FL studio, cakewalk project5 and some free ones, too)

Basically this set-up would be for recording guitar, (bass+electric and acoustic) vocals, and keys. But I have no idea what else I need besides mics, and even then I don't know which kind I should get. Any help is appreciated!

That stuff in the room shouldn't make a difference, I never noticed one. And if you're trying to mic a bass or guitar amp, just throw a blanket over the mic and amp and should take care of the problem (or I might just be retarded).

I'm not familiar with Toneports but here's my advice...

Now if you're really serious about this, check out some pre-amps and stuff. If not, all you really need are some mics. Since you don't plan on recording drums, you shouldn't need more than one.. I would suggest buying a condenser microphone to start out with, and once you get more familiar buy some better gear and mics for different stuff, for instance buying vocal-specific mics or instrument-specific mics. A really popular mic is the Shure SM58, and they're usually only about $100.

That's about all I can tell you.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
may i ask. what free softwares do you have?

Audacity and Reaper.

That stuff in the room shouldn't make a difference, I never noticed one. And if you're trying to mic a bass or guitar amp, just throw a blanket over the mic and amp and should take care of the problem (or I might just be retarded).

I'm not familiar with Toneports but here's my advice...

Now if you're really serious about this, check out some pre-amps and stuff. If not, all you really need are some mics. Since you don't plan on recording drums, you shouldn't need more than one.. I would suggest buying a condenser microphone to start out with, and once you get more familiar buy some better gear and mics for different stuff, for instance buying vocal-specific mics or instrument-specific mics. A really popular mic is the Shure SM58, and they're usually only about $100.

That's about all I can tell you.

About how much can I get a good condenser mic for then? Can I mic an amp with one, too? or are they just vocal mics? What're some suggested models? I've heard Shure SM57s are good instrument mics..

What sort of pre-amps would you suggest I look into? And what exactly is a pre-amp? if thats a stupid question I applogize...
You have a toneport ux2..why dont you use that?

For acoustic then Id get a condenser mic
Quote by Thomasoman
Audacity and Reaper.

About how much can I get a good condenser mic for then? Can I mic an amp with one, too? or are they just vocal mics? What're some suggested models? I've heard Shure SM57s are good instrument mics..

What sort of pre-amps would you suggest I look into? And what exactly is a pre-amp? if thats a stupid question I applogize...

Tbh, I don't know much about condenser mics as far as retail value goes. Musician's Friend is a good site to check out though.

And a pre-amp is what you plug into before you go into the recording interface (as far as I know). For instance, if you're doing a Direct Input in to your interface with your acoustic/electric, you might want to use a pre-amp to make it sound a little better. I'm pretty sure the Toneport works as your pre-amp though, not sure. I'm not completely familiar with pre-amps myself, tbh, but I'm sure someone else can help you more there.

For my set up, I use a Digitech MBox 2 interface into a DAW (I use ProTools). I use a condenser mic for everything, and it doesn't work too bad. My set-up is pretty simple and can put out some good results if you know how to EQ and mic amps properly. For drums, I use an electric kit so I don't have to worry about mic-ing there, but I do use a overhang mic if someone DOES what to use a real kit.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
i have an electrovoice raven and it works great for vox, guitar, bass, or drums
i also have a yamaha usb mixing studio thing andfor all that its about 400 dollars
make sure you guitars arent facing a monitor or t.v., it can make a bad buzz.

jym