Page 1 of 3
My first time in the Pit only because I could not think of where else this thread would go..oh well..

Well I've more or less have been self taught on guitar since I started at age 14. Up untill a year I started taking "lessons" from this guy who is a supposed "expert". The lessons are not really lessons but him basically having me play really ****ty country songs and some 60 rock that he claims "is the best". I don't mind that , but he tends to say some pretty unintelligent and down right stupid things. Here is a list of quotes from him.... and I'm being serious here.

BTW this guy is about 60 years old and lives by himself.....

"All amps made past 1966 are junk"

"All guitars made past 1968 are junk"

"There is no such thing as a good solid state amp, they are all junk"

My favorites however are... "I can play with any band in the world" and "I taught Brad Whitaker"(of Aerosmith...we live in mass...big Aerosmith town)

"High end Tube amps made today are are garbage they are just solid states in disguise"

"Listen to me son, I can play as good as the Micheal Schencker fella, he ain't that impressive"

One day I suggested that instead of playing some ****ty Paul Simon songs, that we try some AC/DC instead.. "Those guys can't play... No one listens to them any more why do you wanna play them?"

And he gives me **** for being a Rush fan...... "THEY DON'T STAY IN THE I IV V THEY CAN'T PLAY!"

He is average at best. He dosen't even play with a pick. I don't know if thats normal or not.. I really want to get good but this idiot is just a lunatic.

I want the lessons but he REALLY makes it difficult to be around when he is an @$$ which is about 70% of the time. What should I do?
He just sounds like an ignorant opinionated idiot who doesn't consider other people, probably should teach guitar. If you're learning some decent theory, though, that's all that matters in my opinion.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
"Listen to me son, I can play as good as the Micheal Schencker fella, he ain't that impressive"

That son of a bitch. KILL HIM.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
quit those lessons and find another teacher, no one has a gun to your head
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
Show some respect asshole, the man taught Brad Whitaker for Christ's sake. Only real men play without picks, take Jeff Beck for example.
Agreed.
It's good to have variety too,
This guy sounds pretty close minded.

Edit:I was agreeing with the first post
Just nod your head and act like you're soaking it in.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

Quote by wiggyisgreat
He just sounds like an ignorant opinionated idiot who doesn't consider other people, probably should teach guitar. If you're learning some decent theory, though, that's all that matters in my opinion.

Yeps.

Though him not playing with a pick is normal haha, especially since he plays country!
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Quote by seljer
Get yourself a new guitar teacher

+1

/thread
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
High end tube amps are higher quality parts, just because the parts are higher quality doesn't mean it's suddenly SS.

Oh ya, don't judge him on the pick, lots of people don't play with picks, it's all preference and you can't judge whether they are a real guitarist or not by how they play.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
nothing wrong with paul simon TS. But yeah he is ignorant, so find yourself a new teacher.
"Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join

love The Evil Dead films? Join my group: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/boomstick/

Quote by pepsi1187
not to mention herbert from family guy will touch you in your sleep
Come on guys, TS doesn't even know that it's possible to play without a pick! I honestly don't think that his guitar teacher seems that bad, and the lame jokes about no good amps being made after '68 or whatever really shouldn't be taken too seriously...
new teacher!!!!!!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

RAPE HIM LOL

Just get a new teacher dude.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
If he's really acting like a prick most of the time, and that's making it hard to learn, then I say get a new teacher.

Also, do you already know the things he's trying to teach you? I think it would be good to learn techniques of other styles, but if he's not teaching you anything new, then you're wasting money.
Saint Louis Blues
Quote by Pizza The Hut

"High end Tube amps made today are are garbage they are just solid states in disguise"

WTF?

Quote by Pizza The Hut

And he gives me **** for being a Rush fan...... "THEY DON'T STAY IN THE I IV V THEY CAN'T PLAY!"

FAIL

Ditch this guy
Mr. Allan wrote:
This is like saying you're not allowed to jerk off over the girl next door unless you have a license and written permission from her. Which, of course, is bullsh*t
Find another teacher who will teach you what you want, not what they want. There is no room for snobbery in music.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by Pizza The Hut

That's gold you couldn't write that yourself...
Quote by Pizza The Hut

Until I read that, I was going to suggest just getting a new teacher, one who isn't a total asshole.

Now you have to kill him. For the sake of the children.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Show some respect asshole, the man taught Brad Whitaker for Christ's sake. Only real men play without picks, take Jeff Beck for example.

dude, the guy is aerosmith is brad whitford, thats why he thought it was funny
He came, He played guitar, he kicked some ass Dimebag Darrell 1966 to 2004
Quote by RU Experienced?

Yeah, and AwesomePossum5.
Quote by TastyMooglePie
Rape everyone involved: the girlfriend, the mom, the dad, and throw in the dog for good measure.

Quote by Prankster1990
NoFX_Fan182 is awesome mkay. He just rocks my socks
tell him to put a donk on it.

sorry, i'll just go back to the thread about the blackout crew

on topic: new teacher, more respect. mark knopfler does a damn good job without a pick.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by asator
tell him to put a donk on it.

sorry, i'll just go back to the thread about the blackout crew

on topic: new teacher, more respect. mark knopfler does a damn good job without a pick.

Lol. It IS infectious. =P
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Quote by Glimsom
Lol. It IS infectious. =P

haha
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by DOA12345
dude, the guy is aerosmith is brad whitford, thats why he thought it was funny

Yes, I know that...you clearly misinterpreted my post as a cereal one.
Hes an idiot, but alot of people play without a pick.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
he gives me **** for being a Rush fan...... "THEY DON'T STAY IN THE I IV V THEY CAN'T PLAY!"

OBLITERATE HIM!
Get a new teacher!!!! He sounds like a close-minded twit. Just keep teaching yourself, I've been teaching myself for 5 years now, and I like it. It helps you develop a distinct and individual style, IMO.
Favorite bands at the moment:
1. Tool
2. Porcupine Tree
3. Between the Buried and Me
4. Queens of the Stone Age
5. Soundgarden
6. Pearl Jam
7. Buckethead
8. Green Day
haha he's just an old guy. find a younger teacher, someone whos been to music school and everything
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Michael Schenker really ISN'T that amazing

and playing without a pick is good for some things

Maybe its just jokes, as some other guy said?
lol@u
Why are you still with him if he's an ass?
Quote by KileManA7X
You sir, are an honorary genius! Take this badge, you made us proud!
Page 1 of 3