Hey guys,

So my 9-year-old brother has a little 3/4 size Peavey starter pack type thing, and he's starting to move past it. I think it's probably because my gear elitism is rubbing off on him, but nevertheless, he's ready to move on to a full size guitar.

He has about $300 to spend. I was thinking maybe some Epiphone or a higher-end Squier would do the trick. I just don't have a lot of experience with this end of the spectrum because I started out with my dad's MIA Tele and moved to an MIA Strat from there.

So guys, any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
G400.... >_> Yup.
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
He likes a lot of alt. rock, think newer Chili Peppers.
He also likes some bands like Guns n Roses and The White Stripes.

Tone isn't really a huge deal, but I don't know if he'll or his (our) parents will want to go used.
As long as it doesn't sound bad.

The Epiphone G400 looked like a good option, but just in case, what's a good single coil type option?
I'd say a MIM strat, it would fit that music well.
You could try for HSS also.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Ok, I don't think we'll be able to go used (not by my decision, I assure you), but if we do or if he gets a little more money, we'll go with the MIM Strat or Tele.

For now, I'm thinking either the G400 or ...?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-CLASSIC-VIBE-Telecaster-50s-Electric-Guitar-?sku=519376

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Stratocaster-SSS-Electric-Guitar?sku=512572

Either of those look ok? In case we decide on HSS, would this be ok?:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar?sku=512573
^Those look like they would work. I would still try to get to MIM, but those would work if thats impossible.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Take a look in rondomusic as well. An Agile 2500 or 2800 would do it nicely.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

The Vintage Modified Squier Strat looks good. I started on a Squier Strat, and still have it. And because its a Squier, you can do cool things like put Fender pups in it if he wants a "nicer" guitar. That's what I did. Much cheaper.
GEAR:

Jackson Pro Series RR3 (w/ EMG 81/85 combo)
Schecter Gryphon
Epiphone SG G-310
Squier Standard Strat (w/ Fender Strat pups)
Roland Cube 20X
Boss ME-50
Quote by MakeItWitChu
I'd say a MIM strat, it would fit that music well.
You could try for HSS also.

+1 on that

I think a LP Epi would be too heavy for a 9 year old.
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
Quote by foxthor_rider2k
The Vintage Modified Squier Strat looks good. I started on a Squier Strat, and still have it. And because its a Squier, you can do cool things like put Fender pups in it if he wants a "nicer" guitar. That's what I did. Much cheaper.

That's interesting. The neck is decent enough to warrant that?
Well, see, what I did was when I first started, I got a Squier Standard Strat. My mom bought a MIM Fender Strat HSS, but didn't want the 'bucker. Mine was all single coils. She bought some vintage noiseless and took my pickguard. She had the MIM HSS pups put in my Squier and the pickguard from her Strat put on mine.

But if you buy all single coils, you should be able to just change them out. I just needed a new pickguard going from single coil to humbucker.

But I could only switch pickguards because I have the Standard so it has the 11-hole pickguard like the Fenders do.
GEAR:

Jackson Pro Series RR3 (w/ EMG 81/85 combo)
Schecter Gryphon
Epiphone SG G-310
Squier Standard Strat (w/ Fender Strat pups)
Roland Cube 20X
Boss ME-50
what about some sort of Washburn?

they make some good and versatile instruments! I think there is a washburn with 2 humbuckers where 1 of the pups can do a split so you get singlecoil sounds too!

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
Quote by CedricL
HSS configured strat/strat copy (Yamaha Pacifica 112V perhaps).

THIS.

The frets seem to be smaller than a squier, so it'd be easier to play.
So he tried out a bunch of guitars, and he liked a rosewood fingerboard-ed HSS Strat the best.

We are going to go for a MIM Fender one. Thanks for all your help guys.

Also, while I was there, I picked up this bad boy:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Rhythm-Tech-Studio-Shaker-440740-i1135600.gc
Has a nice sound. I'm a percussion man.
Quote by foxthor_rider2k
Well, see, what I did was when I first started, I got a Squier Standard Strat. My mom bought a MIM Fender Strat HSS, but didn't want the 'bucker. Mine was all single coils. She bought some vintage noiseless and took my pickguard. She had the MIM HSS pups put in my Squier and the pickguard from her Strat put on mine.

But if you buy all single coils, you should be able to just change them out. I just needed a new pickguard going from single coil to humbucker.

But I could only switch pickguards because I have the Standard so it has the 11-hole pickguard like the Fenders do.

moving story but you need to route the body for it too which squires tend to be routed for hss

yamaha pacifica 112
ibanez rg321
agile 2000/5/8
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30