that's just a half step down. start with your guitar in standard tuning.

1. Play the 4th fret Low E string and the A string open. Retune the A string to match the 4th fret Low E string.

2. Play the 5th fret A string and the D string open. Retune the D string to match the 5th fret A string.

3. Play the 5th fret D string and the G string open. Retune the G string to match the 5th fret D string.

4. Play the 4th fret G string and the B string open. Retune the B string to match the 4th fret G string.

5. Play the 5th fret B string and the High E string open. Retune the High E string to match the 5th fret B string.

6. Play the 5th fret Low E string and the A string open. Retune the 5th fret Low E to match the A string open. Or tune your open Low E to match the High E open.
If you have a capo, put it on the first fret and tune your guitar with a tuner so that it is in standard tuning. When you take the capo off, you have the tuning you want which is a half step below standard.

If you don't have a capo or tuner you can first play the eleventh fret on the sixth string and put the first string so that it's "matches" the sound. It's the same sound, only at a higher pitch(octave). From there just tune your guitar as if your first string was correct and all the others were too high.

There are tons of other ways btw.

EDIT: Jim proves that there are other ways. buddy.
If you have a capo, put it on the first fret and tune your guitar with a tuner so that it is in standard tuning. When you take the capo off, you have the tuning you want which is a half step below standard.
QUOTE]

Sorry confusius, but I don't agree with that. Fine tuning, as in tweaking a string here and there is ok when using a capo, but not re-tuning the whole guitar. It's the string angle across the nut that's the problem. Normally, the string travels parallel to the fretboard, then at the nut breaks at an angle specific to the guitar, then heads to the tuning machines. When using a capo at the first fret, you've changed the first from parallel to a pretty severe angle. Now by retuning, you are in essence creating saw's out of all the strings which will gouge out the nut slots in no time. It's far better and safer to retune to altered tunings with all the strings open and unfretted.
Quote by LeftyDave
Sorry confusius, but I don't agree with that. Fine tuning, as in tweaking a string here and there is ok when using a capo, but not re-tuning the whole guitar. It's the string angle across the nut that's the problem. Normally, the string travels parallel to the fretboard, then at the nut breaks at an angle specific to the guitar, then heads to the tuning machines. When using a capo at the first fret, you've changed the first from parallel to a pretty severe angle. Now by retuning, you are in essence creating saw's out of all the strings which will gouge out the nut slots in no time. It's far better and safer to retune to altered tunings with all the strings open and unfretted.

it's only a semitone bro he's not gonna "saw" his nut into unplayability.
^-- not if he only uses this method once. but if he uses it alot, then yeah he will.
Isn't that basically tuning all your strings a half step down?
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Quote by Dumb91
it's only a semitone bro he's not gonna "saw" his nut into unplayability.

Bad practise is bad practise. You don't hear of a surgeon going "****it I won't wash my hands this one time.." do you?
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
buy a tuner with a flat button. all u do is press the flat button and tune like normal. easiest way without getting confused.
epiphone classic goldtop les paul (seymour duncan alnico 2 pickups)
fender highway one stratocaster (lace holy grail pickups)
alvarez artist acostic
epiphone les paul 100 (signed by kenny wayne shepherd)
misc. pedals
peavey classic 30 (JJ tubes)
Can Anyone give me a way to tune my guitar to half step down using a tuner i have an American Fender Strat electric guitar is it different than tuning a acoustic cuz im new to the guitar ive been playing for only 2 months plz help .
Quote by ramiabuhamra
Can Anyone give me a way to tune my guitar to half step down using a tuner i have an American Fender Strat electric guitar is it different than tuning a acoustic cuz im new to the guitar ive been playing for only 2 months plz help .

The only difference is you gotta plug your eletric into the tuner. That's all.