I'm getting some fret buzz on my g string on my acoustic/electric guitar. if i've determind this correctly, i think its coming from my 1st fret being too high (i recently had my action lowered but this problem just started occurring yesterday)...my question is would it be bad for my guitar if i filed downt he first fret a bit? also if i were to do that, would i have to file the entire fret down or can i do it just where its causing a problem, at the g string? thanks in advance
I hestitate to give any such advice. Filing down the fret seems a sensible thing to do if the fret has suddenly grown higher over night. Replacing the nut should be OK if there was reason to believe the g slot suddenly has grown deeper. I'm sure neither is the case here, and I'm also sure that either remedy can seriously screw up intonation, so a thorough examination of the problem by someone who knows where to look at seems the first thing needed here.
alright, thanks for the advice...after a closer examination i think that maybe the g slot has grown deeper, as i was driving with my guitar in the car yesterday with some other stuff in there as well and the weight from the other junk may have caused a slight change in my already chipped nut
I've always wondered, what do you guys mean when you say "file down the saddle, or the string"? Can anyone help? Sorry for asking in this thread.
You can't file a string.

The saddle is the wooden piece that fits on the bridge. When you file it down it lowers the action of the guitar. Be sure to file it on a straight surface and be sure to be filling down the side that fits into the bridge.
Quote by confusius
You can't file a string.

The saddle is the wooden piece that fits on the bridge. When you file it down it lowers the action of the guitar. Be sure to file it on a straight surface and be sure to be filling down the side that fits into the bridge.

Wood? Umm, no. Bone, plastic, Tusq yes. Seriously confusius, you're slippin' up man. Better go take a nap.
Quote by LeftyDave
Wood? Umm, no. Bone, plastic, Tusq yes. Seriously confusius, you're slippin' up man. Better go take a nap.

There is such a thing as an ebony saddle, isn't there? Generally though, saddles are bone, tusq, plastic, or fossilized ivory for sure.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Ehhhh I've seen wooden saddles. Though bone or plastic is more common. Meh. You always catch my slips

And filling is just to sand it down.
^ Yep, there are ebony saddle pieces out there, but they're rare, along with the metal adjustable kinds(thankfully!). I was just toying with ya anywho. I know you know what you mean, even tho the rest of them might not. lol
And back to the original problem of the TS. Bring it in to a guitar tech. A few things need to be looked over and measured before deciding on filing down any of the frets. Not the least of which is the truss rod adjustment. Fret leveling requires that the truss rod first be adjusted so that the neck is perfectly flat. They have gauges that let them measure all this. They can also inspect the nut to determine if it's at fault.