I'm sure this is probably a newbie question but I never really knew what they affect or do so I just wanted to ask the UG community.
I think its an extra speaker that sounds higher frequencies, it lets you turn it up with a bit of gain and still have some definition and have your sound cut through without farting... I'm not a bass amp expert though
Don't make me sick into my own scorn
____

If ya don't give a sh!t ya getcha hellyeah
Throwin' fists in the pit ya getcha hellyeah
Think you're f~ckin' with this well hell no.
Balls, volume, strength getcha' come on!
Quote by black-serenade-
it lets old people slowying traffic up know that they should pull over or be destroyed

funny guy.

i'm not sure but i think it's for higher frequencies.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

yeah, your bass amp has a horn (tweeter) so that it can get the higher frequencies out without it sounding bland and dull. and to protect the subwoofer in some cases.
Quote by assparade69
yeah, your bass amp has a horn (tweeter) so that it can get the higher frequencies out without it sounding bland and dull. and to protect the subwoofer in some cases.

Isn't a horn different than a tweeter?
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Without meaning to steal the thread, my new warwick amp has a "HF horn (I assume this means high frequency horn)". In case you're wondering which one here's the link:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Warwick-Sweet-15.2-150W-Bass-Combo?sku=483058&src=3SOSWXXA

I suppose the reason this particular amp has a horn is to boost the trebles and/or mids, as it's speaker is a 15 inch.
Anyway, if a horn is for middle and a tweeter is for highs, then how can you have a "high frequency horn"? In fact, my perception of what a "horn" is has just been completely muddled.
Some horns cover mid range, some cover high depending on the size of the driver, etc. One horn usually more or less covers both in a two way hi-fi or PA cab, whereas a lot of bass cabs I think it mostly handles highs.

I'm pretty sure that while a tweeter is just a naked speaker, a horn is a speaker with, well, a horn attached to further amplify and shape the sound. so think of a tweeter being housed in a box, and then that box opening into the horn housing and that's a horn.

Let's see... wikied.
Looks like that pretty much sums it up.
I posted a description in the FAQ in response to a similar question. Simply, a tweeter is a plain cone speaker; a compression horn is a small speaker driving into the narrow end of a 'trumpet', much like shouting into a megaphone. Very power efficient, but the horn can only be tuned for a narrow band of frequencies.
Check out Cerwin-Vega's site for a lowdown on their 18" folded horns. Better still, find one in a club and steal it - save it from a life of sh*t dance music, stick it under an SM900, and destroy your house...