I'll be in Los Angeles for some business (and pleasure), during the first couple weeks of August. Some of you guys already know that, and have asked if i can view their work, and help out with ideas, comments, feedback, techniques, check out their builds, or just plain meet and greet, etc, on a personal level (face to face).

Although my schedule is pretty much booked up, we do have a couple days and nights free. We will be partying with some locals pretty much every night, so i'm going to need a night off the 'rock star' scene

Im offering the chance for a limited number of people to meet up, discuss ideas, share techniques, and talk about some ideas to help you advance in the trade (if thats something you would like to get into). Im thinking this isn't suitable for someone who just wants to make one guitar, but for guys looking to learn more about how to go to the next level. Of course, maybe you might just want to learn more about how guitars are made, and have no intention of building one? Thats cool too. It will be extremely laid back. No presentations, no handouts, just sitting around a table and talking about the business, techniques, etc. No holds barred, no question will go unanswered.

Of course, you have to remember this is my once a year vacation, so my time is limited (and I'd love to be hanging out with the bands!). We'd need a certain number of people to get it happening, otherwise it's a bit of a waste. I'm thinking maybe one evening, meet at a place for dinner (would have to be in Hollywood to make it easy for me), and discuss ideas etc for three or four hours. You'd be welcome and encouraged to bring an instrument.

There will be a cost to this. The cost will be based purely on how much it's costing me to be there. I'm not going to be making any money, only covering my costs. Overall, the trip is setting us back around $10,000 ($833 a day, $50 every waking hour!). If we get the minimum number of people (which wont be many), its going to be about the cost of a couple CD's, each (for 3-4 hours). We'll probably make the price include dinner or something, to make it easy. If we get more than the minimum number, the cost will come down. I think thats pretty damn fair considering. I have a location in mind, and it's perfect for this idea.

Another benefit would be that you'll be meeting like minded people (other Los Angeles residents), who can become valuable contacts to share ideas with and help each other advance. You'll either see the benefits, or you won't. Either way, it's cool.

Im not sure if any of my guitars will be there. All but one of the guitars are being delivered within the first few days of our arrival, and Im only bringing one spare (which I already have six buyers for). Maybe we might invite some of the owners along just for fun?

If you're interested, either post here, or send me an email or forum message. Once we get a vibe for numbers, we can go from there. It'll either be snapped up, or a dead idea. Either way is cool with me!!

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
unfortunately im up in northern california, but if i was down there i'd be first in line. thanks for offering this up, i can only imagine the amount of knowledge that could be gained from a session like this with a pro like you. i hope your trip is a success
There are a couple people flying down from San Fransisco. Might be worth looking into flights. I know Vegas is pretty cheap, surely within the same state its cheaper? You guys in the USA are spoilt. To fly to the next city down here, costs us a weeks wage.

Might having a meeting at the Fender Custom Shop which might put a stop to the meet and greet. Will keep you all posted. Keep submitting your interest though.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Last edited by ormsby guitars at Jul 13, 2008,
damn... in august i'll be in chicago... same with september... october i'll be in vegas
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Thats a great opportunity Perry. Wish I was in LA, we have friends in "the hills" but cant get there.
BTW I'll hopefully be hitting you up for the details of the fellow UK migrant soon, have fun in LA man!
Just call me Mr Sambo.....

Check out my profile for my covers!
Quote by ormsby guitars
Fellow UK migrant??

I meant the client you have/had that moved from the UK. Sorry, its been a while since we chatted and god knows how many other people you have spoken to since then lol
Just call me Mr Sambo.....

Check out my profile for my covers!
Last edited by grooveytigerrr at Jul 14, 2008,
Ok, looks like the Fender Custom Shop thing is moved to a different date, so wont clash now. This meet and greet is on if we can get a few more people.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!