Ok, so i've been looking around at strats and teles, and i've seen a couple MIJ. What exactly are the MIJ ones like? Where do they stand in quality in terms of Mexican and American? Would it be worth it to buy one? I'm on a budget and i've seen the MIJ ones a bit cheaper.. are they bad quality?

I just need to know the facts on MIJ Fenders. Thanks.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
In terms of quality: MIM, MIJ, American.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Well Japan does make really great guitars, but if it's fender im going to imagine it's going to be in between Mim and Mia. Never had any experience with them though...
Now that I think about it, isn't it CIJ (Crafted in Japan)?
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
MiM doesn't come close to the Japanese ones (I assume you means the old ones, that later changed name to Squier before Squier became a budget brand). I have an '83 Japanese Strat that I and many other strat players think beats even the american ones. So if that's what we're talking about, then yes, it's worth it for sure.
The MIJ's have better quality control than the MIAs, but the MIAs have better electronics.
Most guitars built in japan have amazing quality.
I think one i'm looking at is a '94.. how would that be?

^
He's laughing at YOU.

Ibanez RG370DX
There were both MIJ and CIJ instruments. Instruments after 1996 (I think) have CIJ sign, while earlier guitars have MIJ label.

MIJ Fenders (and Squiers!) are in general way better than MIM, some say that they are better than current Fender Highway Ones (including me). The electronics may be average, but the build quality, wood, necks, are superb. If I were you I'd hunt down an old Fender/ Fender Squier made in Japan in the '80, especially from JV or SQ series. They are amazing instruments, I like especially like the neck - IMO more comfortable than MIA.
^Thanks, that helped.

What would an early 90's model be like?

^
He's laughing at YOU.

Ibanez RG370DX
Quote by zombiak
There were both MIJ and CIJ instruments. Instruments after 1996 (I think) have CIJ sign, while earlier guitars have MIJ label.

MIJ Fenders (and Squiers!) are in general way better than MIM, some say that they are better than current Fender Highway Ones (including me). The electronics may be average, but the build quality, wood, necks, are superb. If I were you I'd hunt down an old Fender/ Fender Squier made in Japan in the '80, especially from JV or SQ series. They are amazing instruments, I like especially like the neck - IMO more comfortable than MIA.

And that is exactly what I play Cheers man
Almost all stuffs made in Japan have amazing quality. That's the thumb rules :p
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

japanese construction is absolutely amazing. i almost always prefer japanese guitars to american (with some exceptions, like PRS and old Gibsons and Fenders, Rickenbacker, etc). Japanese fenders are suppose to be quite good, and even more so considering they don't seem to go above 800 on ebay. I'm actually looking into these myself (since I've wanted a strat for AWHILE). MIM guitars are kind of a hit or a miss sometimes; you may get one that plays really friggin well and sounds great, or you could get a lemon. Still, i'd rather pay another hundred or so bucks for a used guitar that'll sound and play better than the MIM and be comparable to, if not better than, current MIA guitars.

And sorry to temporarily jack this by asking a question, but i've noticed that a lot of MIJ/CIJ Fenders have 21 frets. Are there any with 22? I'd prefer to get a 22 fretter, but 21 frets wouldn't bother me too much (hell, if Hendrix, Gilmour and EVH could write tasty riffs and solos with 21 frets, it shouldn't matter).
based on what i've tried:

i'd rather have a MIJ than a mexican. No contest at all.

I'd rather have a MIJ than a highway one or USA standard. some of that, though, is doubtless personal preference as the H1 and USA standards are very modern takes on fenders, while most of the MIJs are vintage reissues (and I seem to prefer vintage fender style guitars).

Get up to the USA reissues, and the USA reissues are arguably slightly better; however, considering the price difference (which will vary depending on where you are- here the MIJs are about half the price of the USA reissues), I'd still prefer an MIJ.

However, I don't want/need a strat, tele or other fender as my main guitar, i only have them so i can get "that" tone when I feel I'd like to. If i did use the "Fender tone" as my main tone, my opinion may be different.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Mike!
The MIJ's have better quality control than the MIAs, but the MIAs have better electronics.

good point.

Another thing to note is, try to get a non-export model. Those are the truly great ones- the export ones are frequently handicapped so as not to compete with the made in USA stuff.

another option would be e.g. tokai or similar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?