As a bit of a theory noob despite being technically decent, I sometimes struggle to find scales to improvise to certain songs, especially with songs that have a unique riff making up the solo. Tp help me escape from the minor pentatonic in whatever key, I was wondering if any of you guys know scale shapes to use in the following songs?

Guns N' Roses - Double Talking Jive (Link)
Guns N Roses - It's So Easy (Link)
Velvet Revolver - Sucker Train Blues (Link)
Velvet Revolver - Pills, Demons & Etc (Link)
Scales aren't about shapes, what's important is the notes they contain. Slash is a pretty straightforward player, you can happily use the natural minor or minor pentatonic to solo over most GnR and VR songs.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
well, if you are trying to escape minor pentatonic over slash songs i think you might have some trouble, but if you want to do that i guess you could use the natural minor, a parallel phrygian, the relative pentatonic major?

i am assuming that these songs are in minor pentatonics because its slash and i wont bother listening
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
Quote by mosh_face
well, if you are trying to escape minor pentatonic over slash songs i think you might have some trouble, but if you want to do that i guess you could use the natural minor, a parallel phrygian, the relative pentatonic major?

i am assuming that these songs are in minor pentatonics because its slash and i wont bother listening

Well, aren't you quite the arsehole?

PS stop trying to sound clever by trying to use big words, it's not working...when dealing with the natural minor scale over any given chord progression its "relative pentatonic major" is more correctly referred to as "the minor pentatonic scale".
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 12, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
Well, aren't you quite the arsehole?

PS stop trying to sound clever by trying to use big words, it's not working...when dealing with the natural minor scale over any given chord progression its "relative pentatonic major" is more correctly referred to as "the minor pentatonic scale".

How comes you can get away with saying that and I make one comment and I get warnings in the post???
you will never escape the pentatonic scales...and plus WHY WOULD YOU?! they are the greatest known scale to guitar players and it's really all you need. If your looking for some more color mix it with other scales such as the dorian, mixolydian, or natural minor. Those all sound bad ass with the pentatonic.
If you're trying to escape the Pentatonics and get a wider variety of sounds, I suggest you do some reading on your theory. Learn about diatonic harmony, chord construction, etc. You'll then not only be able to get more out of the Pentatonics, but you'll know for yourself what other tonalities you can use, or even how to borrow from other scales to mix up tonalities. And of course you can ask any questions you have here.
In Double Talkin Jive Slash plays a solo in Eb phrygian and/or phrygian major - - I believe they're tuned down a half step... so it's like it's in E on the fretboard but sounds E flat.

It's So Easy sounds like an Eb pentatonic/blues/dorian

Sucker Train Blues sounds like E minor pentatonic and E minor

Pills Demons sounds like the tune is in A minor but switches to F# Minor/minor pentatonic for the first part of the solo - then goes back to A minor for the rest of it.
Last edited by GoDrex at Jul 12, 2008,
Quote by GoDrex
blow me cool guy

Reported.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
GoDrex, use the edit button. Peaceful Rocker, next time, don't say it in that tone, please. It aggravates the response you got. Thank you.
Quote by RichieJovie
How comes you can get away with saying that and I make one comment and I get warnings in the post???

I dunno, maybe I won't get away with it...to be honest your sig doesn't help, it gives off a bit of a holier-than-thou vibe. So what if the mods are young, this is the internet, the whole thing is run by kids It shouldn't matter how young or old they are, they were given that position because they're active members of the community and conduct themselves with maturity. If they weren't doing the job well enough then the site admins wouldn't give them that responsibility.

Besides, it never ceases to amaze me how so many immature posters (not you btw) turn out to be so-called adults, whilst many of the more reasoned and lucid members aren't even out of their teens.

Either way, if somebody asks for theory advice about a particular artist why even bother to post if you don't listen to or like the artist in question?

That just seemed to be a pointless "I'm-cleverer-than-you" post.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 13, 2008,
bah, i dont think it was an im cleverer post, in fact i know i was just offering some theory knowledge despite not really liking slash, and i know that altho a major pentatonic and minor pentatonic (relatives) have the same notes, it is technically different if you are playing it as a major pentatonic, different tonic note different feel etc.

i listened to one of the songs, i would still use the scales i suggested (with the names i learned in music class)
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^