Page 1 of 2
I mean seriously, It was a great genre, but late in the 90s it kind of died out. Most grunge bands after this decided to go with the mainstream and change their music. I beleive that changing your music just because of the times is a terrible thing to do.

Heres the best reason grunge should still be around. It would destroy emo. Emo sucks.
Most of early and pioneer grunge bands broke up or key members died, like Cobain and Stanley, Soundgarden broke up. The only grunge bands from the big 4 that are still around are Pearl Jam, but they were my least favourite.

Stone Temple Pilots were on the verge of post-grunge, but they broke up anyways. After grunge died we got emo.
Quote by Mgllpz09
grunge brought us emos.
Not even close.

Nobody let grunge die, it got diluted by the mainstream until Nickleback formed.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Always thought emo was grunge?

1. angsty lyrics
2. poor production
3. pasty faced musicians

Yep pretty much the same....
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Well, Kurt Cobain blowing his brains out didn't really do the genre all that good.

Also, all the bands broke up, or took long hiatuses, or changed their sound so that they weren't grunge anymore, the only reason being that they wanted to.

Genres and scenes can't last forever.
The.
yeah. People started listening to either emo, hard-core emo(which is kinda like metal, but not really), or just all out thrash. The music just got more hardcore, and the drug laden 90's with the easy going grunge was over.
Grunge was good while it lasted but grunge is the reason the music today is so horrible. If the 90's took hair metal as an influence instead of killing it, the natural flow of rock would be more mainstream.
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
Most of early and pioneer grunge bands broke up or key members died, like Cobain and Stanley, Soundgarden broke up.

Soundgarden was metal...not grunge. When they won their grammy they even said to the crowd that they always felt they were a metal band.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Quote by shredder.cheese
Always thought emo was grunge?

1. angsty lyrics
2. poor production
3. pasty faced musicians

Yep pretty much the same....

EDIT: Wait...were you joking? I couldn't tell.
The.
apparently to some it got to mainstream, and many of the people in the bands wanted to do something else, or died or something, + it can't go on forever - at some point, people will find something new.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by shredder.cheese
Soundgarden was metal...not grunge. When they won their grammy they even said to the crowd that they always felt they were a metal band.

Wait, what? Many bands win metal awards. A lot of the bands around the grunge scene incorporated other genres in their music.
Because the only grunge band the mainstream gave a toss about were Nirvana, when Cobain topped himself they probably realised most of the "grunge" bands sounded nothing like each other and hence the label died.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by IHATECHILDREN

EDIT: Wait...were you joking? I couldn't tell.

Joking but only a little bit. I like some grunge and I like some emo but very little of either.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
Quote by shredder.cheese

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by hazzmatazz
Wait, what? Many bands win metal awards. A lot of the bands around the grunge scene incorporated other genres in their music.

Yep Soundgarden won for either best grunge or alternative band or something like that and when they took the stage to accept the award Chris Cornell looked over at his bandmates and said, "Wow I always thought we were metal."

Come on listen to old Sabbath and listen to Soundgarden. The heaviness is almost exact.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
Heck, Buzz Osborne of The Melvins even did a Guitar Player interview and said that they were inspired by Sabbath and old punk because they were sick of the 80's hair nonsense and the The Melvins were one of the main acts in the Seattle Grunge scene.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
Quote by shredder.cheese
Yep Soundgarden won for either best grunge or alternative band or something like that and when they took the stage to accept the award Chris Cornell looked over at his bandmates and said, "Wow I always thought we were metal."

Come on listen to old Sabbath and listen to Soundgarden. The heaviness is almost exact.

Outshined, Black Hole Sun, those are alternative songs, not metal in any way.

Kurt Cobain always considered Nirvana to be a punk rock band, but they were just different and people saw them as different. Alice In Chains were a more metal band than Soundgarden in my opinion.
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
Outshined, Black Hole Sun, those are alternative songs, not metal in any way.

Kurt Cobain always considered Nirvana to be a punk rock band, but they were just different and people saw them as different. Alice In Chains were a more metal band than Soundgarden in my opinion.

Well your opinion is yours. But if you listen to the first few records from Black Sabbath you'll see the similarities in the dark, heavy slowed down guitars and just the overall ambience of the songs in general. Also, I think the artists know better what to call themselves than the media (or fans) which wanted to lump everything as either alternative or grunge to create a trend.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
Quote by shredder.cheese
Well your opinion is yours. But if you listen to the first few records from Black Sabbath you'll see the similarities in the dark, heavy slowed down guitars and just the overall ambience of the songs in general. Also, I think the artists know better what to call themselves than the media (or fans) which wanted to lump everything as either alternative or grunge to create a trend.
My Chemical Romance's myspace has them listed as Metal.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by shredder.cheese

Artists don't really know what to call themselves. They just lump a general term, Children of Bodom call themselves simply heavy metal. Metal has become just as general as alternative or rock.
Quote by element4433
My Chemical Romance's myspace has them listed as Metal.

I see "them" mentioned as being "modern rock" but I don't see anywhere on that page that "they" call "themselves" metal.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
Artists don't really know what to call themselves. They just lump a general term, Children of Bodom call themselves simply heavy metal. Metal has become just as general as alternative or rock.

Well if artists don't know what to call themselves, then I seriously doubt fans or non-fans do.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
Quote by shredder.cheese

Just stop.

No, labels and genre categorization has, and alwas has been, a people's choice thing. Lamb of God called themselves prog metal. Lemmy calls Motorhead a blues band. I clearly remember Kurt Cobain saying he thinks of Nirvana as a pop rock act.
Doesn't mean squat.

Soundgarden are in no way metal.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
grunge wasnt set to last. the sound was ment to be an alternative to the modern sound of the time. as soon as it became mainstream it died. it was raw and as soon as it started becoming produced and got the main stream sound and companies behind it, it turned into alternative rock, not grunge
Grunge in britain died with Kurt Cobain, which made way for britpop, the last good chart-topping genre in britain. It all went downhill here after Princess Diana died, because after a nation-shaking event such as that, the charts revert to default, which is *shudder* pop
??? Fund: cba to keep up with it.
will at least try when I get a jerb
੧_\\\

yours,

Alex (mcfreaki)
Quote by dead-fish
Just stop. Soundgarden are in no way metal.

And what is Metal?

Black Sabbath?
Iron Maiden?
Motley Crue?
Metallica?
Children of Bodom?

All different sounding groups, agreed? Similarities maybe, agreed? All call themselves metal, agreed? Are they metal or is it all arbitrary no matter what they call themselves or what others want to call them? If it is arbitrary then this whole topic is nonsense because it is all just "rock & roll," correct?
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
Quote by shredder.cheese
Well if artists don't know what to call themselves, then I seriously doubt fans or non-fans do.

Actually, I think fans would know more because I think fans spend much more time listening to the bands music than the band themselves. People create the genres and categorizations, not the bands themselves. They're a little busy creating the music, people decided whether it's good or bad, and what genre it fits in.
Quote by shredder.cheese
And what is Metal?

Black Sabbath?
Iron Maiden?
Motley Crue?
Metallica?
Children of Bodom?

All different sounding groups, agreed? Similarities maybe, agreed? All call themselves metal, agreed? Are they metal or is it all arbitrary no matter what they call themselves or what others want to call them? If it is arbitrary then this whole topic is nonsense because it is all just "rock & roll," correct?

Dude, just stop. Music is never tied down to just one genre. No band is going to sound exactly the same. The sooner you understand this the sooner you will be able to understand what you're saying. Band's do not categorise themselves...
Last edited by hazzmatazz at Jul 12, 2008,
The problem with your arguement is that you think labels have any value beyond being just a filing aid.

There is a type of sound for each music genre. When a band sounds like genre A, they belong in genre A, even if they kick and scream that they really belong to genre C.
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
Actually, I think fans would know more because I think fans spend much more time listening to the bands music than the band themselves. People create the genres and categorizations, not the bands themselves. They're a little busy creating the music, people decided whether it's good or bad, and what genre it fits in.

I am just going to have to disagree with you. It's no biggie. The world isn't going to be a better or worse place if we don't see eye to eye on this. Al lI can say is that the reason why there is so much turmoil over music in general is because of the clickish titles people want to label music styles, and I am way to old for trends or clicks.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
Quote by shredder.cheese
I see "them" mentioned as being "modern rock" but I don't see anywhere on that page that "they" call "themselves" metal.

*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by hazzmatazz
Dude, just stop. Music is never tied down to just one genre. No band is going to sound exactly the same. The sooner you understand this the sooner you will be able to understand what you're saying. Band's do not categorise themselves...

Your rebuttal is horribly flawed. If it is true that bands do not categorize themselves, then that means they are not owners (in the abstract) of their own music and basically either the industry or the public can say what they are. For example BB King was not blues but country. If the masses say it is so, then let us all bow down to the masses. NOT!
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
Quote by element4433

Ok I am sure that you know better. That is just a search engine meta tag so they are searchable. Heck where you posted the link, the 3rd pic down has them listed as Rock / Metal / Punk....please do better than that next time.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
Quote by dead-fish
The problem with your arguement is that you think labels have any value beyond being just a filing aid.

There is a type of sound for each music genre. When a band sounds like genre A, they belong in genre A, even if they kick and scream that they really belong to genre C.

I never mentioned labels in that context. Labels as you say are just the money people and use whatever means they can to market their artists to make more money. If that means putting different cloths on the band, cutting their hair and creating a new genre to sell to the public that is what they do.

And your last point is exactly my point. Soundgarden sound a heck more like Sabbath then they do Nirvana so if anyone here is stuck on nuances between genres it isn't me.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
Quote by shredder.cheese
Ok I am sure that you know better. That is just a search engine meta tag so they are searchable. Heck where you posted the link, the 3rd pic down has them listed as Rock / Metal / Punk....please do better than that next time.
That's a myspace search. Their offical one is the first myspace.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Last edited by element4433 at Jul 12, 2008,
Quote by element4433
That's a myspace search. Their offical one is the first one.

The first one is still a meta tag so that the band will pop up under those terms.

This is their MySpace page and no where on it does it say they call or think of themselves as metal.

http://www.myspace.com/mychemicalromance
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
Last edited by shredder.cheese at Jul 12, 2008,
I searched My Chemical Romance. That's what they have their band listed as.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433
I searched My Chemical Romance. That's what they have their band listed as.

And I just did a search on MySpace and this is what came up: 108 / Male (Underneath the same link you posted). So the meta tags are variable and I bet if you keep searching over and over you'll get results that say punk, emo, etc.
Attachments:
mychemical.jpg
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
Page 1 of 2