Have any of you guitar players at UG felt that your crappy gear is holdning you back, and making it less motivating to play? I'm have a guitar that won't stay in ****ing tune, and the bridge is also ****ed, and the strings are old and rusty, and my amp is a MG, and it's got a volume problem, and the tone is horrible, and im too poor to fix any of this ****, it's quite depressing for me, indeed...

Anyone else have had a similar experience?
Gear:
2011 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
i heard jimi hendrix learned to play on a broom
How I wish, How I wish you were here...
Jimi Hendrix was no ordinary human, my friend.
Gear:
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
Quote by skuitaring
i heard jimi hendrix learned to play on a broom

I heard he learned on a guitar with 1 string...
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
ya dude it was a broom then a single string banjo, then he went to his local shop and prac. there (srry did a report on him in school)
All Shall Perish, ABRB, Behemoth, Belay My Last, TBDM, Born Of Osiris, Carnifex, Despised Icon, I Declare War, Impending Doom, Odious Mortem, Salt The Wound, Suicide Silence, WhiteChapel
Not really. It doesn't take the guitar to make a good guitarist. Give Eddie Van Halen a ****ty guitar n he'll be as good as ever.

I learnt to play on a crap squier rip off with an unknown 10W amp which I still have.

Just practise, and if anything it'll make it easier when you get decent gear.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
The best way and most joyful way to learn is to play in the company of another who you can inspire and aspire with.
Ever had a truly awesome jam with another ? once you have you realize how powerful playing the guitar with another can be.
be happy with what you have
sometimes i play better on crappier equipment ( not tone wise )
Quote by Oblivion_Rps

I learnt to play on a crap squier rip off with an unknown 10W amp which I still have.

I started on Squire Strat and 15w Traynor SS. I don't really think it matters what you learn on.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
The gear doesn't make the player at all, but bad gear is demotivating as hell.

My Vibro Champ crapped out recently, so I've been using my Marshall Lead 12 Mini-stack (it's a MG from the 80's, basically) and it really has me bummed out about my playing.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Not really. It doesn't take the guitar to make a good guitarist. Give Eddie Van Halen a ****ty guitar n he'll be as good as ever.

Good advice!
Quote by Oblivion_Rps

Give Eddie Van Halen a guitar that goes out of tune all the time and he'll be ****ty.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

get a job and buy some new shit

personally, i like my gear. i have a shitty ibanez gio which i love more than anything. and for an amp i have an ibanez mimx which i'm pretty content with. and soon im buying a new distortion pedal so that should make things a bit better.
Last edited by ibanez for life at Jul 12, 2008,
Well, I'm not particularly fond of my amp, but I love my crappy guitar! I wouldn't trade it for anything. I've learnt to love it over these past 5 years, and it's really my only prized possession. It's been through everything with me.

I once bought another, really fancy guitar, but I sold it three days later. And I wasn't at all dissappointed. In fact, afterwards, I was happier than I ever was, and I felt really inspired to play my old guitar again.
Quote by GrissomFan
The best way and most joyful way to learn is to play in the company of another who you can inspire and aspire with.
Ever had a truly awesome jam with another ? once you have you realize how powerful playing the guitar with another can be.

I have had that, and this is not a question of guitar playing, but the joy of it being diminished by poor gear, and how it's ****ing up some of the aspects to my(and perhaps others) playing.
Gear:
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
Last edited by wyldelife at Jul 12, 2008,
I know what you mean.

I'd love a nice amp and some more pedals, although I don't really like any riffs I'm writing and I have no band, so not much motivation really to get a job and get some gear. My attitude is lousy.
I have the same problem. Squier Stagemaster, ****ty floyd rose, going out of tune like ALWAYS, it won't stay in it for ten minutes. And I've got an MG30 which is ****, too... Demotivating for sure.
ya on my guitar i have horrible fret buzz and none of my strings stay in tune very long
i also have a ibanez 10 watt amp lol
Quote by Vanquish
Give Eddie Van Halen a guitar that goes out of tune all the time and he'll be ****ty.

Exactly!
Gear:
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
Quote by wyldelife
I have had that, and this is not a question of guitar playing, but the joy of it being diminished by poor gear, and how it's ****ing up some of the aspects to my(and perhaps others) playing.

The way I see it, you have 2 options.

1. Buy better gear.

2. Stop crying about it and deal with it.

Sorry, thats how it is
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
hendrix started playing on a brom,then a one string ulilaylee that his dad found,hen apparently banjo or suttin i forget.besides the first guitar is god,i love my first it doesn;t maytter what it is,its how you use it
Quote by imdeth
Centorium you dick
I keep lookin behind me,You're amazing at this

Quote by Aerokizzombie
Dam,Cent, ur repeating man scares the shit out of me, its so true

Quote by CodChick
Omg Cent,Ive been havin nightmares because of u

Quote by MCMXCII
**** you man,I was just going to bed

I'm scary
Quote by Vanquish

Not really.... He'll just retune it. The tuning of a guitar doesn't make a guitarist crap. If it goes out of tune all the time, it forces you to retune it, training your aural perception making you better.

There ya go. Learning guitar on crap gear makes you much better once you get decent gear.

Another example: Playing on a "crap" guitar with very high action forces you to push down harder to fret the notes. Once you get a better guitar with better action it's much much easier, and you can play almost any guitar comfortably.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by zippidyduda
The way I see it, you have 2 options.

1. Buy better gear.

2. Stop crying about it and deal with it.

Sorry, thats how it is

I'm crying whilst dealing with it :P
Gear:
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Not really.... He'll just retune it. The tuning of a guitar doesn't make a guitarist crap. If it goes out of tune all the time, it forces you to retune it, training your aural perception making you better.

There ya go. Learning guitar on crap gear makes you much better once you get decent gear.

Another example: Playing on a "crap" guitar with very high action forces you to push down harder to fret the notes. Once you get a better guitar with better action it's much much easier, and you can play almost any guitar comfortably.

this, exactly this.
Nice beaver.

(. Y .) (. Y .)
Quote by mikey son
but van halen cant beat fret buzz from my warped guitar now can he

And fret buzz can't beat your skill and knowledge of theory and the guitar.

Cos that is what you're practising isn't it?
Carmel is hawt