Poll: Quit?
Poll Options
View poll results: Quit?
GTFO of there
42 81%
Stay
10 19%
Voters: 52.
So this place is really starting to piss me off. I work at some medicore bbq restaurant and it seems I get no respect for doing my job. First, I've been working there for 10 months, and I have yet to recieve a raise, I'm still getting 6.25 an hour. My manager signs me up to work six days a week. I did work mornings, and it was great because I could actually do stuff after work, but lately I've been getting all the night shifts, which means I get up, wait to go to work, go to work, and then get home and go to sleep, rinse and repeat. My best friend is coming to town this week after me not seeing him for months, and I got signed up for nights, which means I won't be doing anything but working and not hanging out with some friends. Furthermore, I keep getting signed up for what I call the "bitch job". It's just bussing tables, but I was told working there for a while would move me up. I do cashier now, but everytime the 2 people who bus tables aren't there, I am always the one who has to do it and nobody cares. We don't even train people to do it anymore, I'm just the fallback.

If I quit it would be this week, so there would be no two week notice, which I know is bad because I can't use them as a reference. But I'm confused about that because on applications there are "reference" and "former employer" areas. Does this mean I just can't put them under reference, or can I not even tell the people I apply for that I worked 10 months as a cashier?

I know some of you will tell me to tough it out and that it's just a rough week, but the thing is that this is every week. Every week I get screwed and loath going to work. I thought I would just have to make it though some rough patches, but then I realized that it's probably never going to change because it's been like this the whole time.
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Quit. If it's getting you down and having an impact on your life, **** it - it's not worth it. I've learnt that from things already, trust me.

No job is worth your well-being or happiness.
It's like any other job. It only gets harder if you make a big deal of it.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

You must take a full notice period if you want any of your experience to be counted when you apply for something new. It's worth sticking it out for two weeks. If you don't, you'll end up with a job just as crap as the one you've got so there'd be no point leaving.

You can still put it on your CV but you won't be able to use them for a reference as by not working your notice you violated the terms of your employment.
quit.

you can still put them on your resume, although i'm not too sure about putting them down as a reference.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by rigiddigits
You must take a full notice period if you want any of your experience to be counted when you apply for something new. It's worth sticking it out for two weeks. If you don't, you'll end up with a job just as crap as the one you've got so there'd be no point leaving.

You can still put it on your CV but you won't be able to use them for a reference as you violated the terms of your employment.

The thing is though, this week I have plans, which all got screwed over by work, so if I did put in a notice I would have already missed out on stuff and it would be pointless.

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by theBaartMan

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Most appliactions will have a box you can check that asks if they can se your former employers as references, and it will usually say "If no, why not?".

Just put the job in your work experience but say you cant use them as a reference because you did not part with them on good terms and they would probably not have kind things to say about you.

Make a cover letter for another restaurant that highlights your experience and just play up that your previous employer wasn't very good to you, and that this one would be SO much better. They'll eat that up.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
I learned that there are easy ways to waste your life away when all you have is a computer and a world full of people putting new and interesting things on their boners.

Wow, I've been here for a while.
Quote by clincher09
The thing is though, this week I have plans, which all got screwed over by work, so if I did put in a notice I would have already missed out on stuff and it would be pointless.
Put in your notice anyway. I know it's frustrating. Don't just quit your job because you want to do other things this week, quit and hand in your notice properly because your job sucks. Think about this in the long term. When applying for other jobs you will be in competition with people who can contact their old employers for references.
Maybe you can see if someone can cover some of your shifts this week, or would switch for the night shifts so you can take morning or something? Meanwhile put in your two weeks.

I don't know what your managers are like, but mine have been pretty understanding if something comes up and you're like fck, I just can't work this shift. Where I work though there's like 30 people doing the same job so it's easy to find someone to take my shift for a day.
Quote by metacarpi
I'd rather post a chat up line with an escape route in case it starts going wrong.

"Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?"

*girl looks unimpressed*

"Because it looks like you landed on your face."
I'm guessing you're not in the UK, by the 6.25 an hour thing but over here employers can't put you down for more than five shifts a week unless you ask them to.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
6.25????!!!!

Where do you live??!!!
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
Respect doesn't pay the bills

Your mum sure knows that
Quote by mustaineNslash
i know this sounds stupid but...
wheres the sig button??

(sry)

Quote by jsbud11
You have to steal the apple juice before you can quit.

and quit the job. or you could demand a raise and to be made a full-time cashier.
Quote by blu_flame34
Maybe you can see if someone can cover some of your shifts this week, or would switch for the night shifts so you can take morning or something? Meanwhile put in your two weeks.

I don't know what your managers are like, but mine have been pretty understanding if something comes up and you're like fck, I just can't work this shift. Where I work though there's like 30 people doing the same job so it's easy to find someone to take my shift for a day.

Well we are extremely short staffed, partly because my manager has either fired a bunch of them or they walked out because of her. Actually, since I've been working there, about 10 people have left, all because of her.

Quote by rigiddigits
Put in your notice anyway. I know it's frustrating. Don't just quit your job because you want to do other things this week, quit and hand in your notice properly because your job sucks. Think about this in the long term. When applying for other jobs you will be in competition with people who can contact their old employers for references.

Actually, the manager I work for is a bitch. If I quit for any reason besides moving away she would tell the person I'm appying for negative **** because she is a manipulative bitch. There was a girl who worked there a while ago, she put in her two weeks, and the manager just fired her after the 3rd day.

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by theBaartMan

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
go into work with a katana and a hawaiin shirt and kill your boss and take over the place 80s style. (a little house icon will apear outside the front door)
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
It all depends on where you live at as to what you should do. I know i live in a "right to work" state which means I can quit at any point in time without giving any sort of notice. Not only that, a previous company that I worked for, by law, cannot give a bad recommendation.
I will say though, 6.25 an hour is not bad, thats more than I made after working at the same job for almost 17 months. I ended up in the same situation as you at that job. It really doesn't matter that much about what you do now. If your planning on going to college and getting a job in an entirely different field then any interns that you do and stuff like that will make an impact.
If you can get another person in the place you work that sees the injustice, that is a manager, you can use them as a professional reference.
I don't know if I would have a problem getting a job. I have 10 months cashier experience, which basically gets me a job at Target, but I don't know if I can tell them that I have the experience if I just quit.

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by theBaartMan

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
[quote="'']I duno if America is the same but at the moment England 's econamy is spiraling into nothing and It's extremely hard to get a job. I've been rejected by everywere, including McDonalds

Aint many vacancies anywhere
get out. you are young. dont let this place ruin your fun, because soon enough you wont have a choice. it shouldnt be that hard to find another job.
Make sure you have another job lined up. If you can find another job then quit.

Don't quit and then try to find a job, you could seriously **** yourself over.
Facebook.com/Notafluke
At least serve the notice. You can't put these guys down as a reference if you don't, and even though you could still say you have experience, you cannot explain why you can't get a reference. Look at it this way: your next potential employer will see your application and see you experience, and wonder why you aren't asking them to phone your previous workplace. They will most likely think you got fired, and then ask themselves; for what? Theft? Giving abuse to customers? And then think that they have five others applying for the same job and they have a full checkable working past. Who would you call?

On the other hand, (and I should stress that this is true in the UK, not sure about the States) if you did put your previous employer down on the form and the guys you were applying to phoned them, they are not legally allowed to give a negative reference. They can say that you left without serving a notice period, or that you were fired, but they cannot badmouth you to other potential employers. So you could get by if you happened to find a place looking to give you a chance.

In any event, good luck man, I've recently had some fairly serious issues with managers at work, and it's always a tricky situation to be in, but remember that you are young and that there is plenty of time in the future to make yourself miserable over work. At this point, just do what feels right, and you WILL be able to come back from it, I have no doubt.
Member of the Nobuo Uematsu Fan Club

FFIX and FFXII Fan

The pit on incest....

Quote by wiggy1988
more like WINcest amirite?
I worked a very different job but had to deal with very similar BS. I got fired after 19 months because I finally snapped and called the manager a "bald dumbass."

He deserved it.

Now I am unemployed, but not stressed out as much. I am going to college in the fall (after taking 2 years off after high school) but I still need to find a job.

My advice, GTFO while you still have your sanity.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
lol @ the UG comments.
Quote by msuspartan
Only the pit can turn a thread about auditioning for a Christian band, to having sexual experiences while eating a banana. Bravo pit, Bravo.
Quote by clincher09
I don't know if I would have a problem getting a job. I have 10 months cashier experience, which basically gets me a job at Target, but I don't know if I can tell them that I have the experience if I just quit.

NOOOOO!!!

DON'T do it! Those are the assholes that fired my sexy ass! You're too good for that! It's no better, I promise you!
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!