So I got my first bass recently (two days ago)... There's a thread about it, with pictues..

and I'm getting a practice amp next week... but until then I'd like to do some recording with it on my computer.

I've got a bunch of line 6 programs on my computer for bass/guitar EQ and stuff, but for my guitar, (when I'm doing sterile line-in recording) i use my amp as the pre-amp...

Is this suitable for the bass with the guitar amp?

I'm obviously not using the speaker, and I know that the EQ and settings on the amp were tailored for guitar frequencies, but will it be alright or should I stick with the digital recording stuff?
I've tried it with my Vox.. and personally, i wasn't too satisfied. I could get a cool distorted sounding bass tone.. but it was hard to get a nice, deep, clean and true bass sound from the guitar pre amp. It will work, but there will be a noticable difference.
AIM - JanesAdd1cti0n

The Rain And Snow

We've been reduced to ruin in this noncalibrated earth that has stumbled upon us.
Quote by roshjosh

I'm obviously not using the speaker, and I know that the EQ and settings on the amp were tailored for guitar frequencies, but will it be alright or should I stick with the digital recording stuff?

it shouldn't hurt anything. try it and see how it sounds. nothing to lose.
Meh, just alter the signal after recording using software like Audacity. You'll lose a lot of the lower bass frequencies by putting it through a guitar preamp. Better to leave them there and alter it in another program.
It won't do any harm, so try it and compare to just plugging it straight in to the computer and see which sounds better.
I use a Hartke Bass Attack box for DIing, has a great EQ set up on it.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
You can get relatively cheap mic tube-preamps that have settings for other instruments - including bass guitar.
ART and Behringer both make ones under $100.
I use a Behringer Tube Ultra-gain direct in and it sounds amazing.