Hey everyone,
My Nan gave me my Grandfathers bass guitar when he passed away about 5 years ago and I was just wondering how much it would actually be worth. I have no intention of selling it because it has alot of sentimental value to me. But anyway, the bass is a Fender Jazz Bass which to my knowledge is a 1968 model when i checked the serial online. The only thing is that the body has a few cracks down the whole length of it and Ive been told that they are only surface cracks and don't actually affect the wood. How much would something like that affect the value of it? And how much would the Bass actually be worth? Ive attached 2 pictures of the bass to see if that help!

Thanks for any help!

ok, i'm gonna tell you what it's worth but, if you sell it you'll go straight to hell.
i'm guessing the color to be Candy Apple Red.
Fender-
Jazz Bass: 1960 to present.
1968: Black, Candy Apple Red, Lake Placid Blue, Sonic Blue.
$4,500 to $6,500.

prices reflect excellent condition basses. (naturaly accuring cracks shouldn't matter, much.)
thats quite a nice piece of history you have. learn to play it, and make grandpa proud.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Jul 12, 2008,
i'd say at most $10 grand
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by Captain Insano
How much of it is orginal?

I believe every part is original, Ive checked all the components and all of the hardware and nothing looks new. I think even the strings are the original set!
Quote by Jeff_Vader
I believe every part is original, Ive checked all the components and all of the hardware and nothing looks new. I think even the strings are the original set!

I'd prolly say 5 Grand then.

Like LesPaul said learn to play it. It has that vintage feel, but being a CBS Fender it's not going to put your kids through college, and except for inflation, I don't see it gaining a whole lot more value.
Quote by Captain Insano
I'd prolly say 5 Grand then.

Like LesPaul said learn to play it. It has that vintage feel, but being a CBS Fender it's not going to put your kids through college, and except for inflation, I don't see it gaining a whole lot more value.

CBS had Fender in '68? I thought that happened a few years later. Learn something new every day.
CBS bought Fender in '65, but I think they didn't really start going downhill until they could fully sink their teeth into the business in '70ish. It takes a long time to change ownership of a company.
"I think even the strings are the original set!"

That is actually pretty gross. You should sell the bass to Pete Wentz so he'll lick the strings.

Although my new(ish) six string has brown strings. It's been played almost every day in a store for 18 years, and they never replaced the strings. The tone is...... unique.