I was reading this really depressing book and honestly it made my heart hurt a little.
So, I started thinking. Why do you feel heart break in your actual heart? Or how come, when you hear something really terrible that just brings your hopes down you actually feel like your heart is sinking into you chest?

I don't get it, I mean your heart is just an organ that pumps blood. Shouldn't your head feel sad or hurt when something happens, and not your heart?
I don't know. It's just emotions, but I bet blood flow has something to do with it, and seeing as how the heart pumps blood, it's probably effected the most. I mean when you think about it, blood pressure can go up if you're really stressed. Just a guess.

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay
what this man says is correct.

Quote by clemm
WHAT IS THE PIT!?!?!!!!!!?!??
--clemm

n00b
It's probably just psychological. Like, when you're growing up you hear things like "heartbroken" and see pictures of hearts connected to love etc...

/trying to sound clever
Quote by postmortem2006
Despite the increble gayness and randomness of thsi thread, thats actually a very good question :S

How is this thread gay or random? and I know, that's why I asked. You don't have to be such a rude little dude about it.
well obviously you mood affects the way your heart beats. in times of great sadness, I believe the heart muscle actually cramps a little bit, thus heartbreak
Well, the physical reaction of feeling certain emotions causes your heart to pump faster. I'd imagine that's the reason right there.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Ive always wondered that too
Like when somthing really sad happens to you, you feel like you've been kicked in the stomach and your heart seriously aches in a way.
" Did You know, in Tibet, if they want something, do you know what they do? They give something away."

"Do they ? That must be why they're such a dominant global power."
This is an interesting question. I have pretty bad history with heartache... I'm not proud of it, either .

The heart pumps our blood, and it will accelerate depending on our emotional flow, which could be why we feel the pain in our hearts. It could also just be psychological.
Wikipedia is always right.

The symptoms of a "broken heart" can manifest themselves through psychological pain but for many the effect is physical. Although the experience is regarded commonly as indescribable, the following is a list of common symptoms that occur:

* A perceived tightness of the chest, similar to an anxiety attack
* Stomach ache and/or loss of appetite
* Partial or complete insomnia
* Anger
* Shock
* Nostalgia
* Apathy (loss of interest)
* Feelings of loneliness
* Feelings of hopelessness and despair
* Loss of self-respect and/or self-esteem
* Medical or psychological illness (e.g. depression)
* Suicidal thoughts (in extreme cases)
* Nausea
* Denial
* Fatigue
* The thousand-yard stare
* Constant or Frequent crying
* A feeling of complete emptiness
Quote by karinaa_love
How is this thread gay or random? and I know, that's why I asked. You don't have to be such a rude little dude about it.

rude little dude? really?

and it totally is gay and random.
a bunch of guys in a guitar forum talking about heartbreak?
srsly? its gonna get called gay.

and yes, good question.
there's probably an equally good answer.

EDIT: hey, look at that. wikipedia wins.
it's psychosomatic.

/thread.

Yeah. The rumors are true. I'm a twat.
Last edited by lucky69 at Jul 12, 2008,
I'd imagine hormones have something to do with it. Your heart muscle if different from most other muscle tissues in your body, so when your brain releases whatever it does when you're feeling really down, your heart is probably affected by it?
Quote by Horebane

I lold.

But wikipedia is right for once. It's a psychological process that manifests itself. I'm sure many of you have felt "a broken heart". When my most important relationship ended with my "heart" started to hurt, like a stabbing pain. And I'm sure this has happened to many of you though maybe under different circumstances.

But I'd also guess that it's probably increased blood flow through the heart. But that just makes the heart pump faster. Or maybe it's the heart pumping slower?
Quote by lucky69
rude little dude? really?

and it totally is gay and random.
a bunch of guys in a guitar forum talking about heartbreak?
srsly? its gonna get called gay.

and yes, good question.
there's probably an equally good answer.

EDIT: hey, look at that. wikipedia wins.
it's psychosomatic.

/thread.

Yes really. And well its not only guys, even though guys are the majority, there are a few girls. Maybe you should stop trying to act manly, and embrace your emotions! geez!
Quote by Waff
You need to grow up.

you're convincingly mature yourself.

If TS is going to get offended when a post about heartbreak is called gay by a bunch of teen to twentysomething guys, they need to get a grip, no offense

Quote by karinaa_love
Yes really. And well its not only guys, even though guys are the majority, there are a few girls. Maybe you should stop trying to act manly, and embrace your emotions! geez!

I'm aware of this. I am one of the users that lack a Y chromosome.

Yeah. The rumors are true. I'm a twat.
Last edited by lucky69 at Jul 12, 2008,
Yeah, I always thought it was weird how my heart sort of sinks, theres a sort of spasm of tightness across my chest. It's odd to say the least, I used to think it was just a saying.

Placebo probably.
Quote by Horebane

The symptoms of a "broken heart" can manifest themselves through psychological pain but for many the effect is physical. Although the experience is regarded commonly as indescribable, the following is a list of common symptoms that occur:

* A perceived tightness of the chest, similar to an anxiety attack
* Stomach ache and/or loss of appetite
* Partial or complete insomnia
* Anger
* Shock
* Nostalgia
* Apathy (loss of interest)
* Feelings of loneliness
* Feelings of hopelessness and despair
* Loss of self-respect and/or self-esteem
* Medical or psychological illness (e.g. depression)
* Suicidal thoughts (in extreme cases)
* Nausea
* Denial
* Fatigue
* The thousand-yard stare
* Constant or Frequent crying
* A feeling of complete emptiness

How is wiki always right? Re-read the list.

Good find though
Apathy FTW! Just don't involve yourself (physically or mentally) with anything that isn't central to your life and heartache goes away and never ever comes back.

I guess the reason would be the muscles in your heart going weird when certain emotions come into play but i don't bother with that stuff.
Quote by HamOfGod
Apathy FTW! Just don't involve yourself (physically or mentally) with anything that isn't central to your life and heartache goes away and never ever comes back.

I guess the reason would be the muscles in your heart going weird when certain emotions come into play but i don't bother with that stuff.

A relationship can be pretty central to your life you know.
its unexplainable which is why i like the whole mystery of the heart. The theme of the heart is probably one of the most sang about part of the body. which is obviously where love is and comes from.
Why does my heart take a jump everytime I think of this special girl then... it's a mix of both sad and happy feelings.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
it doesnt actually involve the heart like said above. think of heartburn: it is not actually your heart burning, but a feelig in your esophagus.

you feel the physiological symtpom (such as the tightness that you get) and attribute it to the context that you put it in, thus feeling an emotion (read schater and singer, they have some great work relating to the attribution of emotion). Or even you think about whatever you are thinking about (event, person, relationship, etc...), which whichever emotion fits accordingly and with emotions come physiological symptoms.

Ex: you read a depressing book, you think "oh man, things like this shouldn't happen" or "this could happen to me", and you start to feel flushed (tense, watever) and all of this comes into the emotion of sadness/heartbreak watever u attribute it to
dude, what about an actual solo in death metal instead of that poof from linkin park. Think of Pulse of the Maggots - Bed Of Razors

#1 MEMEBER OF THE OFFICIAL THRASH METAL FAN CLUB (PM URE FAV BANDS TO ME TO JOIN)
Last edited by The2abraxis at Jul 12, 2008,
it was an old myth that your heart was the control center of your body brought to this country by pilgrim settlers, racist pilgrim settlers i might add. im not exactly sure why people refer to the heart as what the brain should be but to quote a bible "the water lizard is right catman, they are among us"
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
I heard a rumour wayyy back in the day in some cultures they said they loved each other with other internal organs, such as the stomach or things "lower down" than the heart. Probably makes more sense?
i am suffering from a broken dick, lol.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by Fuzzbox91
i am suffering from a broken dick, lol.

Why did I laugh

But in all seriousness, I think it's a feeling in the general chest rather than the heart. Sadly, I know
Wait. What side is your heart on? Because I always get it in my left side.

(I will be a heart surgeon one day)
Quote by Megadeth2011
I don't know. It's just emotions, but I bet blood flow has something to do with it, and seeing as how the heart pumps blood, it's probably effected the most. I mean when you think about it, blood pressure can go up if you're really stressed. Just a guess.

I agree with this man. It seems the most logical.
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!